Quote Originally Posted by Mizirlou View Post
They're hot. They chafe.
This seems like a very narrow minded opinon seeing as not all gaiters are made of the same material or length.

I wear gaiters every time I hike because it keeps debrie out of my socks and shoes thus preventing more blisters and chaffing. The ones I wear are only ankle high, highly breathable, and not hot at all.

I wore them through the mojave desert on the PCT this year and they didn't bother me at all.

For some reason not too many people on the AT know about Dirty Girl Gaiters. They're super lightweight, no more than 3 ounces for the pair and they come in tons of different colors and patterns. I went with the Giardia style pattern.

I highly recommend giving them a try. They only cost around $15 dollars and each one bundles up to about the size of a squished tissue.

Unlike most gaiters they don't have a string that attaches underneath the shoes and saves you the problem about having to replace that after a few weeks of wear and tear. They attach to your laces in the front and some velcro on the back of your shoe.

I have mine rigged so that I can even wear them with my Vibrams.