I'm in the early stages of planning for a NOBO thru in either 2014 or 2015 (it all depends on the economy and finances!) and I have a question about footwear. I've read all the other forums about the trail-runners vs. boots vs. whatever else, so I don't want to go down that path. But here's the thing. Over 20 years ago, I had an achilles injury that never quite healed exactly right (I still can't really stand on my tip-toes for more than a second or two), so for anything more than a fairly-level day hike, I have to wear over-the-ankle boots. I need the support.

After doing my due-diligence, several months ago I bought a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II boots, which I really like. They are a great fit for my feet, and for a boot, not too heavy at all. Bottom line--I love them! My question is, how many pairs am I going to need to get from Springer to Big K? I've been reading lots of trail journals and trip reports and people are talking about how they've gone through 2-4 pairs of footwear on their thru-hike.

I would imagine that trail-runners wear out much quicker, but how long do boots last, typically? I can't imagine that one pair would get me all the way, but it's something that I'm curious about. Also, has anyone out there done the trail in Oboz, specifically?

Thanks!