So about 15 years ago my buddies and I were hiking in Maine and took the side trail out to Mt Abraham. We knew it was a former fire lookout. When we got to the summit, there was some interesting rock art and the little rock cave shelter. We wondered why the shelter was so small. The rock art was tall and I think may have had an arch. I don't have any pictures as far as I know, but I found a trip report that has a picture.

Later in the trip, we stayed at one of the shelters where the local maintainer was at that weekend. It happened to be Dave Field, who if you didn't know was recently inducted into the AT Hall of Fame. Dave had a lot of interesting history to tell. He and his sister(?) I think he said helped build the shelter we were staying in, one of the bat floor shelters. We asked him about the rock art. Here's how I remember the story.

Dave said that some time prior to our hike, like maybe the 70's or 80's that the fire warden's trail had gotten really overgrown and not used. I don't remember if it was him and another guy or just some other crew had gone out to scout the trail in order to open it back up. Anyway, he said it was a bushwhack to the summit. He says when the crew got there, they were presented with the new rock art as well as some nude women who had set up the art. They were commemorating some celestial event and maybe even waiting for the mother ship to pick them up. I think he said they put the little rock shelter in too but I am not particularly clear on that, they may have just been using it. That's the gist of it.

Not a picture I took.

Anyway, got any history on the human artifacts found on or near the trail?