I do enjoy meeting people on the trail but I prefer not having a perminent hiking group, meaning when I get on the trail I am alone, I will hike some with random partners and it's nice to chat at camp but I prefer being alone.

I prefer to hike alone, for the wilderness is my church and that is where I hear, see, smell, feel and taste god. I'm not crazy, far from it, this is the one thing I am most sure of in life. I do have fears when hiking solo however, once ...faced, it makes me stronger. The feeling and sensation of truly being alive comes from conquering fear. After a few days out in the wilderness my head is clear and I am content and satisfied with life. It's also a pilgrimage which allows me to fully appreciate modern conveniences once back into society. I see my cup as half full and am able to fully enjoy my life for what it has to offer and not to focus on what it lacks to offer. I have walked 106 miles on the Appalachian Trail, all 106 miles alone. I have slept alone, encountered bears, snakes and strangers. All I can say is each experience makes me feel alive, more alive than I have ever felt. Everyday hiking alone is a new adventure, yes many can experience this with other people however for me, part of my spiritual journey is when I walk alone in the wilderness. It's my experience, my journey, my adventure, my church. I take photos and video in an attempt to capture what I experience but it isn't the same. I have finally realized that it must be earned through the skin off your feet and the weight on your back to get the full experience. One day I may change and I do enjoy walking in the woods with others but for the most part I enjoy my solace with nature, why I hike alone.See More