Hey guys;
Every hotel/motel/hostel anywhere close to the path of totality on April 8th is either booked or price-gouged.
I haven't been able to come up with a way to get myself from northern NJ where I live to the path of totality without paying $$$ for a place to stay, or get stuck in hours of traffic.
I thought of taking an Amtrak train that happens to be passing through the path of totality at the right time, or getting on a flight from Newark NJ or Stewart Int'l in Newburgh NY but what are the chances that the plane will be flying through the path of totality at just the right time?

Then I thought of the A.T.
Baxter Park is in the path of totality, but I seriously doubt that Baxter will be hosting an 'eclipse party', and what tent sites or lean-tos they have will be booked solid.
But what about the A.T. south of Baxter? The 100-mile wilderness.
Would it be feasible to pack and drive to say Monson and start hiking the A.T. nobo? There are a few issues I may face:

Parking. Is multi-day/night parking allowed in Monson? Or perhaps I could fly to Bangor and get a bus or Uber to Monson?
If I start early enough, I should be able to reach a point that is within the path of totality and has a good sky view.
Of course, I may run into problems with trail conditions. There will probably be snow on the trail that early, but I have snowshoes and crampons.

And of course, since I am having this thought, it means that 100+ other hikers are thinking the same thing, so I cannot expect to be hiking the wilderness alone.

I have never thru-hiked the A.T., let alone the wilderness section. I haven't done any winter tenting either. Maybe it's just a bad idea.
Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input
Ethan.