WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Ho much did you tip an AMC Croo?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

If I go to a tentsite, Ill bring in a couple of beers or share some whiskey with caretakers. I appreciete what the AMC does up here and love the work they have done to many of the trails each year. Great place for hiking, even in winter.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    $28 bucks each for one night at Carter Notch Hut on Friday. Cant wait.
    Stayed there a couple of time during the winter myself. Cool place.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Virginia Tortoise

I didn't see a problem with leaving a tip. The croo did a good job of serving us meals and entertaining us. Don't forget that, in some cases, they have to haul the food up to those huts.

Amazing. How many of you rough, tough cheapskates ever worked in the hospitality industry. These kids make nothing and on the many occasions that I've stayed in the huts, especially in the Presidentials, I've watched those kids spend significant time with thru hikers making a special effort to accommodate them if they possibly could, answered a million questions about the trail or towns coming up, fed them whatever was left for free, and working behind the scenes to keep the paying guests from killing some thru hiker acting like a complete jackass making fun of the "rich, sweet smelling, dandy clientele". Work for stay. Give me a break. What did you work, two hours total, if that? For a $105 stay value? Do what your conscious tells you is right. I'll go on tipping well to in my own little way try and help make up for the thru hiker who stiffs the croo and then justifies it in his or her mind.

I dont know about the Croo, only dealt with them once and it was a pleasant experience. Now, the campsite caretakers and winter caretakers of the 3 huts open in winter deserve a better wage and gratuities. Many times, they are first responders in the remote areas such as Guyot and the Pemi. They sift through your crap and clear the trail as best they can and as quick as they can. The folks in the backcountry sites deal with some Grade A a**holes on occasion. Im sure the Croo get a good share of them as well, but its part of it. I stayed at Lake of The Clouds and did a work for stay, cleaning matresses, and it was not a pleasant piece of work. But I did it and I was a jerk about it. That got me nowhere, but it did change my perspective of the AMC. When we were at Carter Hut a couple of weeks ago, we left a "gratuity" but really because the guy was so friggin cool and worked the stove and traded some great stories. Do I feel obligated, no, I do it because the guy was working his ass off, to make sure we were warm. Some of these folks that do the caretaking, do so because they love it. Yes, we have some kids working the huts that do this as a summer job and some are spoiled, but that doesnt represent all of them. I dont think they need more tips, the AMC should just pay them more. The prices are a little ridiculous, which is why we like winter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Haw, haw, this is the only thread I have read where I laughed quite of the way through it. $100 is alot?!?? Comon, there are many motels that price and more! Anythign on the level of the Huts would be QUITE a bit more. AND resort prices are usually much more expensive. Me, when I thru hike the AT I plan on arranging to stay in this world class, world view, world service, unbelievable food, clean sheets and bed, ect., etc., as a break from the trail. Wow, from what I have read the huts seem to be a terrific way to promote the AT and hiking and hiking the AT. AS far as tips? Well, they are a non-profit, unlike motels and restaurants, etc., so of course I will try to leave a generous tip. Work for stay?-well, you guys that are complaining seem to be the ones who have a sense of entitlement! Man, there is nothing for free! You think the AT trail that you are hiking on does not cost anyone money? It costs a lot and anywhere within reason I'll try to do my part, small as it may be. I wish my spouse could get to the hut I stay at when I go as it would be such a neat treat for her. It just sounds out-a-sight to me! And I have been on a few trails and mountains. Some of the stories I have heard about hikers "working" were a joke, for example they swept the floor, took them all of 5 minutes. Me, I think it'd be a blast to work the morning, day, etc., and sleep on the floor and walk away the next day. OK, I had my rant! Thanks Wise Old Owl for the connection, I read through that report and all. Looks like they have got their business together. I'd like to become a member but will probl wait until I come your way. I'm working on doing the CDT and will start it off this April 2013. You workers/employees of the "Huts", don't listen to all these gripers and complainers and whiners. You are doing a great job! I wish we had some of these "Huts" on the CDT in the Rockies! Wow, there's a thought.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 03-03-2013 at 15:56.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

One time I tiped the Croo 20$. That was when I paid full price to stay at Madison beacause I just wanted to. Otherwise, I don't tip... they make hundreds per hut everyday. BTW, in the last 6 years Madison has always had avery hiker friendly Croo...

What an extraordinary thread, don't know where to begin. First off, what work-for-stay thruhikers get is kind of a long stretch from a "$105.00 value." In 95% of my hut work-for-stays, I provided a couple hours of manual labor in return for sleeping on the dining room floor and perhaps getting some leftovers half an hour after the "real people" were done eating. Don't get me wrong....on a rainy night with a bum knee, one is glad to be warm and under a roof, but to call this a "$105.00 value" is more than a little bit ridiculous. As to the alleged lousy pay these kids make, don't forget the season's work for hut croo includes meals and lodging taken care of; most croo people end up saving a great deal of their income and leave the Whites with quite a sum in the bank......not having to pay rent, getting free food, and spending six days a week in places where it's impossible to spend money means that your typical hut croo member is actually earning and making considerably more than their hourly wage would suggest. I could also mention that the head of the AMC earns as much as Mr. Obama.......if one is truly concerned about the poor oppressed horribly paid croo members, you might wanna write a letter to them about their executive pay and perks......So, no, I don't fell the need to tip these people. One tips motel chambermaids; one tips waitresses and bartenders; one tips barbers, dogwalkers, and car valets. If you stay in a hut, be friendly, be useful, make an honest effort to help out and don't weasel out of your "work" assignment. But giving these people money because you get food remainders and can crash on the floor? Um, sorry, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    ... clean sheets and bed...
    Clean sheets and bed! Now that's funny!
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    What an extraordinary thread, don't know where to begin. First off, what work-for-stay thruhikers get is kind of a long stretch from a "$105.00 value." In 95% of my hut work-for-stays, I provided a couple hours of manual labor in return for sleeping on the dining room floor and perhaps getting some leftovers half an hour after the "real people" were done eating. Don't get me wrong....on a rainy night with a bum knee, one is glad to be warm and under a roof, but to call this a "$105.00 value" is more than a little bit ridiculous. As to the alleged lousy pay these kids make, don't forget the season's work for hut croo includes meals and lodging taken care of; most croo people end up saving a great deal of their income and leave the Whites with quite a sum in the bank......not having to pay rent, getting free food, and spending six days a week in places where it's impossible to spend money means that your typical hut croo member is actually earning and making considerably more than their hourly wage would suggest. I could also mention that the head of the AMC earns as much as Mr. Obama.......if one is truly concerned about the poor oppressed horribly paid croo members, you might wanna write a letter to them about their executive pay and perks......So, no, I don't fell the need to tip these people. One tips motel chambermaids; one tips waitresses and bartenders; one tips barbers, dogwalkers, and car valets. If you stay in a hut, be friendly, be useful, make an honest effort to help out and don't weasel out of your "work" assignment. But giving these people money because you get food remainders and can crash on the floor? Um, sorry, I don't think so.
    Once again Jack is right on. You have to respect this mans years of AT hiking experience.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Once again Jack is right on. You have to respect this mans years of AT hiking experience.
    Not to mention his great way with words! Too bad he has better things to do than write a book-- whether AT related or not. I am still holding out some hope, but it that is waning.

Images

Default Croo Pay

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Hey Jack, how ya doin? Wanted to give you the correct info on Croo pay: http://www.outdoors.org/about/employ...al-process.cfm

"Wages
    Wages vary according to position and individual qualifications. Average weekly pay is $250 to $340 after deductions for room and board (provided for many positions) but before taxes."
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Tarlin's response was pretty good then he went all political... like takin a train ride till it plunges off a bridge... the Croo at the Huts do welll, and they don't make their money (tips) from thru-hikers... they make it from the weekend/day-hiker families during the summer... usually to the tune of a few hundred dollars per day per hut... they're doing fine...

...plus they have trust funds. they're all trustafarians. don't let the dreads fool ya

"I could also mention that the head of the AMC earns as much as Mr. Obama......."

"Tarlin's response was pretty good then he went all political...
    "

Jack reminds me of my wife......always brings FACTS into an argument.... Don't confuse the issue with FACTS!!

Journal Entries

I think this is so in many cases. They are academically accomplished young men and women for sure. I despise many things about the AMC politically, but I do not let that affect my attitude towards the croo. The Huts are a great experience at full price, and I stay as often as I can. There is no better place in the eastern United States than the Whites, for hikers, and to stay up there on a beautiful summer day, cannot be beat . You meet lots of great people. It's a great gateway to the backpacking life for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    ...plus they have trust funds. they're all trustafarians. don't let the dreads fool ya

Journal Entries
    Images

Itsmy impression Monkywrnch, when you are a paying customer you receive among other amenities, a clean bed and sheets, etc. Now if you are a entitltement demanding thru hiker (as some are) then you get the floor, whether deserved or not.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Itsmy impression Monkywrnch, when you are a paying customer you receive among other amenities, a clean bed and sheets, etc. Now if you are a entitltement demanding thru hiker (as some are) then you get the floor, whether deserved or not.
    No sheets for anyone. Just a mattress and a sketchy blanket. Most everyone brings a sleeping bag.

You might find this video from New Hampshire public TV worth a look.

http://m.video.nhptv.org/video/2327933908/

Wow, where to begin. I had no intention of "getting political." I merely had the temerity to mention that the executive pay of AMC's top people is pretty swell, and that it compares favorably to some top Federal employees, including a VERY senior employee. This is publicly documented. If I am mistaken here, people are welcome to correct me. I also thank the guy who corrected me about how AMC croo people are paid; I did not know they were charged room/board, etc., so thanx for the heads up on this. That being said, these kids still seem to do OK, they can save a great deal of their pay, and like many young people in the service industry, a good deal of their weekly pay is cash money, i.e. no taxes, off the books, etc.

As I said earlier: If you seek or get a work-for-stay at one of the huts, by all means be friendly, cheerful, and helpful. Do whatever you're asked to do. Do a bit more. But tip these people? Um, no. Save that for waitresses in town, or the girl who cleans your motel room, or maybe even the guy who goes the extra mile with a favor, trail shuttle, etc. These people tend to do a lot more for hikers than the college kids who provide you with leftovers and floor space in return for doing chores they have no interest in, and who, at the end of the day, make a pretty decent hourly wage.

Images
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++