WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

OMG - why should the govt pay for it? why can't it be private donation?

Here is a massive Veterans Memorial provided by Private donation
    http://www.delcoveteransmemorial.com/

Here is a huge 90 bed facility for the homeless in Chester County that lives on corporate donation.
    http://www.safeharborofgwc.org/html/.../partners.html

Let's keep the politics out of this...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Solar chargers in the shelters?

I don't even want to see the shelters....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    http://www.nbc29.com/story/25660265/...-place-to-stay

As I am assuming this pavilion is out of the woods and actually in Waynesboro, this seems to me the best location for such technology.
    I can't really find anymore information on that pavilion, but putting a solar panel on that does not seem to be any where the same as talking about installing them on the shelters.

This seems to be in town, judging by the video I watched on the link, such as all the houses... So I'm kind of curious as to where exactly this is. However, as of now I have zero issues with that at this point -- this seems to have nothing to do with shelters on the AT -- it seems to be just another service in town.

BTW, did you'll notice all that sunshine Lot more sun than most shelters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I can't really find anymore information on that pavilion, but putting a solar panel on that does not seem to be any where the same as talking about installing them on the shelters.

This seems to be in town, judging by the video I watched on the link, such as all the houses... So I'm kind of curious as to where exactly this is. However, as of now I have zero issues with that at this point -- this seems to have nothing to do with shelters on the AT -- it seems to be just another service in town.

BTW, did you'll notice all that sunshine Lot more sun than most shelters.
    And this I believe is how it should come together. As already expressed AT shelters are not the appropriate place for solar charging stations. It is after all the responsibility of the users of electronics to secure and carry their own extra power supply and those needs shouldn't intrude into shelter in the manner of a charging station. And in turn an equipped pavilion as the one in Waynesboro is a perfect marrying of the technology and needs. Seems to be a
    win-win.

It would be interesting to see how it's used and what benefits it provides to both hikers and locals. Will there be anymore threads by hikers complaining because a convenience store clerk wouldn't allow a charge?
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 06-01-2014 at 09:52.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post

No thanks. I still vote "No" on solar panels in the woods.
    Some day in the future we are all going laugh about this.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Weren't there threads about such topics like a raceway close to the Trail? Wind farms? Etc, etc, etc? People complaining about the "wilderness" experience being degraded?
    The racetrack is in CT and has been around for a long time (1956.) Not much can be done about it at this point.

Wind farms: the ATC has opposed wind farms near the trail (eg. in Maine) and I oppose the ATC on that issue, in fact I let my membership lapse for a few years over that matter.

I just can't sit quiet while y'all let loose with your Glenn Beck and Faux News talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The racetrack is in CT and has been around for a long time (1956.) Not much can be done about it at this point.

Wind farms: the ATC has opposed wind farms near the trail (eg. in Maine) and I oppose the ATC on that issue, in fact I let my membership lapse for a few years over that matter.

I just can't sit quiet while y'all let loose with your Glenn Beck and Faux News talking points.
    Maybe there are some fox news "talking points" on one side, but there is also some MSNBC talking points on the other.

I say drop all the govt vs private sector talk and just stick to the original question of solar panels on AT shelters. I'm just as against it if it were a private sector or govt project.

You can't just bolt some panels on a shelter in the woods and forget about it; this would be a total game changer out in the woods.

But for me, Like I said before...slippery slope, is my main reason for objecting to it, that's why I don't care if it's the govt or private sector -- it does not belong. Coke machines are on that slope...

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes you can bolt a few panels on the roof and forgetta bout it. let's keep the debate open

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    OMG - why should the govt pay for it? .
    cuz the stupid things will be on government property. but this discussion is useless. it's never gonna happen anyway

First off, just bolting it is not a reality. Have you seen some of the roofs of these shelters? You're going to need to build up the shelter stucture in many cases. Or you could put it on a pole, but that will again require quite a bit of build up. Should we cut down some trees or put them on a very large supporting structure, again the higher the structure the larger the build project.

Solar panels require cleaning, especially if they are surrounded by a bunch of pollinating trees. Every year I get tons of pollen all over everything, someone is going to have to clean that stuff off, but it's not just pollen, but other dust...

http://www.thesolarco.com/solar-ener...l-maintenance/

What Kind of Maintenance do Solar Panels Require?

Solar panels generally require very little maintenance since there are no moving parts. A few times a year, the panels should be inspected for any dirt or debris that may collect on them. Always make sure you are safety conscious when inspecting panels and don’t take any needless risks! If your panels are too high up on the roof to see very well from the ground, use caution with ladders.

For a general cleaning, simply use a standard garden hose to wash the face of the panels during either the early morning or in the evening. Avoid spraying cold water onto hot panels or you could risk cracking them!

There are also automated cleaners that work similar to sprinklers, such as the Heliotex system, which can be programmed to clean your panels as needed - a good choice if you are in an especially dusty area.

Professional solar panel cleaners are also in abundance and can come out periodically to clean them throughout the year. Check local listings for high-rated, reputable solar panel cleaning companies. This is a better choice for panels that are too high to reach well with a garden hose or if you want a more thorough cleaning.

Standard solar panel maintenance is the best way to make sure they are always producing efficiently.

Images

Maybe there are some fox news "talking points" on one side, but there is also some MSNBC talking points on the other.

You can't just bolt some panels on a shelter in the woods and forget about it; this would be a total game changer out in the woods.

But for me, Like I said before...slippery slope, Coke machines are on that slope...
    With new technological advances I see more slippery slopes in the not too distance future . It's a harbinger for more discussions like this one.

I for one am a traditionalist and prefer the trail not go forward with such modern advances. My idea of a game changer is seeing less secular stuff on the trail. This is why I go to the woods. It is my game changer.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 06-02-2014 at 14:31. Reason: added close bracket

[QUOTE=johnnybgood;1882131]

But for me, Like I said before...slippery slope, Coke machines are on that slope...[/QUOTE

With new technological advances I see more slippery slopes in the not too distance future . It's a harbinger for more discussions like this one.

I for one am a traditionalist and prefer the trail not go forward with such modern advances. My idea of a game changer is seeing less secular stuff on the trail. This is why I go to the woods. It is my game changer.
    Yes, but the future ain't here yet WRT solar power, if it were we'd first see it on a vast majority of houses, but we don't. We'd also see it incorporated in gear, but we don't.

Putting it on shelters would be very intrusive and that intrusiveness would put us on that slippery slope NOW.

As far as the secular talk, I don't know what you're talking about but I don't really see it as applicable.

P.S. I know the cost of solar has come way down recently, but it's still an industry that needs to grow and it should, I'm not anti-solar, nor am I anti-technology. I just don't want build up on the trail. I would be just as opposed to installed water foutains on the trail. Does that make me anti-water foutain

Images

[QUOTE=Pedaling Fool;1882133]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post

As far as the secular talk, I don't know what you're talking about but I don't really see it as applicable.

P.S. I know the cost of solar has come way down recently, but it's still an industry that needs to grow and it should, I'm not anti-solar, nor am I anti-technology. I just don't want build up on the trail. I would be just as opposed to installed water foutains on the trail. Does that make me anti-water foutain
    What I mean are worldly items that should be left at home. E- Readers, I Pads ( I kid you not), and the open rudeness of some smartphone users. Comprendes ?

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Pedaling Fool for enlightening me.

Woo

Images

Maybe it's because it's sunny Colorado, but solar collectors are springing up all over the place out here, about 10% of the houses in my neighborhood have them, basically the systems are "free" right now, but when (if) you sell your property you then pay XCEL energy for the system out of your proceeds. I'm looking into it, will probably go for it since we plan on basically dying in our current house (after hopefully a few more decades!).

I've talked to my neighbors that have the system; practically zero maintenance. Actually, zero for quite a while, at least. Money generators as XCEL buys your excess electricity.

Sorry, solar technology is HERE right now (and is getting less and less expensive) and a pilot program with a single collector on a couple of shelters is a fine idea. As far as aesthetics, the systems in my neighborhood are very unobtrusive, hardly noticeable at all.

Slippery slope? I just don't get this or any other objection to this. Did someone say "slippery slope" when we went to asphalt shingles for roofing (like on many AT shelters) vs. packed straw? Probably!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Did someone say "slippery slope" when we went to asphalt shingles for roofing (like on many AT shelters) vs. packed straw?
    no..................
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries

[QUOTE=Pedaling Fool;1882133]
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Putting it on shelters would be very intrusive and that intrusiveness would put us on that slippery slope NOW.
    How is it very intrusive? Unless you are there when they are installing them, it is just as about as unobtrusive as can be, panels in places you won't normally see them (and if you do, how is that intrusive, they are up on the roof, so is the roof and I never heard of a shelter roof being considered as very intrusive). And the places to recharge, so basically some sort of outlet.

So I'm not getting the very intrusive part, I have a hard time imaging something less intrusive. Perhaps you can explain how you see it as intrusive?

Its a wonder how everyone hiked the trail the first 70 years with no electronic gadgets. My guess is that someone or some animal will vandalize it within the first year.

I say if you can't survive without a charged gadget of some sort, then do something else besides hike the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by hoppy from GA View Post
    I say if you can't survive without a charged gadget of some sort, then do something else besides hike the AT.
    Why so luddites so freely violate HYOH?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hoppy from GA View Post
    Its a wonder how everyone hiked the trail the first 70 years with no electronic gadgets. My guess is that someone or some animal will vandalize it within the first year.

And if you can't hike the AT without shoes then do something besides hike the AT.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++