WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Some info on Vermont

Hey all,

I thinking of doing my first extended section, where I'll need to resupply myself along the way. I'm in Maine, so I'm looking at Vermont from Bennington up to Rutland. According to AWOL that's about 90 miles. I'm also considering all of Vermont which appears to be about 150 miles. It will depend on how much time I can get off from work.

In Maine, I average 8 miles a day (just being honest), but down south I seem to do better and have done up to 15 miles in a day. I would say 10 would be a good average for me down there. Just did Fox Creek down to Damascus (over Mt Rogers and the Grayson Highlands) in four days without issue.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the resupply easy through this section?
    2. No big problems for a dog through here? I hike with a 60 pound mutt. He did really well over the Barren Chairback range in Maine, just for a comparison.
    3. I like being around the thru hiker bubbles and chatting with thru hikers. I've got two options for when I could go: late July/early Aug Or late Aug/early Sept. I'm thinking late July/early Aug will put more closer to thru hikers, yes? By late August, most of them are further north.
    4. How challenging is the hiking there compared to Maine?
    5. Any other thoughts on this section? Advice?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Southern LT is pretty mellow hiking, if not outright boring. Nowhere near the verticals or the views of Maine. Almost no peaks over 4000 feet. You'll meet plenty of NOBOs late July/early August.

In fact if you want to meet a big crowd of NOBOs, plan to be at an open summit (like Bromley) between August 10 and August 13, for the Perseid meteor shower.

Primary resupply is Manchester, very hiker-friendly, lots of services, good hostel. There used to be some kind of store/eatery on VT. 103 -- the road that runs by Clarendon Gorge. Also maybe Danby, VT, near Baker peak.

Images

Thank you. Sadly, those dates are exactly when I can't go.

Would you recommend starting further north? Would the northern most 100 miles be more interesting than the southern most 100 miles? I could also end in Hanover and just count back miles to a reasonable starting point.

Images

It looks like Manchester to Hanover is just about 100 miles. More interesting than Bennington to Rutland?

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    Thank you. Sadly, those dates are exactly when I can't go.

Would you recommend starting further north? Would the northern most 100 miles be more interesting than the southern most 100 miles? I could also end in Hanover and just count back miles to a reasonable starting point.
    The northernmost 100 miles of the LT are seriously tough and remote, probably comparable to the AT in Maine. Very difficult resupply. The LT over Mt. Mansfield is anything but boring.

It looks like Manchester to Hanover is just about 100 miles. More interesting than Bennington to Rutland?
    The AT stretch between Rte. 4 and Hanover is a roller-coaster of 500-700 foot ups and downs and some meadow walking. Somewhat reminiscent of parts of Virginia. I dunno if Dan Quinn's place (Rte. 12) is still "open for business" but if so it's just off the trail and worth a visit. Wintturi shelter is kinda interesting, has a ladder up to the roof and a great view up there, and you can pick blueberries right off the front porch.

Images

Does it have to be the AT? The Long Trail north of Rutland looks pretty challenging. There is resupply every 60 miles or so. Maybe go from Rutland to Johnson, about 120 miles.

We're going to try the whole thing, using the southern 100 miles AT/LT to get our trail legs before tackling the rest of the LT. Like you, we can comfortably hike 12-15 mpd in the south, so it'll be interesting to see what it looks like up in the far north.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Does it have to be the AT? The Long Trail north of Rutland looks pretty challenging. There is resupply every 60 miles or so. Maybe go from Rutland to Johnson, about 120 miles.

We're going to try the whole thing, using the southern 100 miles AT/LT to get our trail legs before tackling the rest of the LT. Like you, we can comfortably hike 12-15 mpd in the south, so it'll be interesting to see what it looks like up in the far north.
    The tough stuff starts around Camel's Hump. The first day or two north from Rutland are classic green tunnel, deadly boring.

Images

Bennington to Rutland is a great 90 mile section. Including two fire towers, three wonderful ponds, rock cairn garden, airport overlook and plenty of resupply options.

Mentioned earlier, there is the Whistle Stop restaurant 0.5 miles from Vt 103 open 6 days at 7AM...closed Wednesday.

Also great, inexpensive bus service if you want to finish at Rt 4 near Rutland and return to your car in Bennington.

Green Mountain House Hostel is dog friendly too.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I loved the fire towers, Jeff. But on those last two days southbound to Rte. 9, the firetowers were the ONLY views all day. The pix below from Glastonbury and Stratton fire towers, respectively.

I had a great night (alas, alone) at Goddard shelter watching heat lightning to the south. I love shelters up with a view!
    Attached Images Attached Images

written from a NOBO hiker perspective: the AT and LT coincide over the 104 miles from the MA state line to Maine Junction, which is just north of the Killington/Rutland (US-4) road xing. White blazes mark both trails. ( BTW the Long Trail Inn is a great place to stay and/or park a car during any section hikes in that area.) That 104 miles can be further subdivided. The southern part from the MA state line to Rt-2/Bennington is typical AT long green tunnel hiking. From Rt-2 north to Manchester Ctr, the trail goes over Stratton Mtn, has some nice areas and creeks. Manchester Center is a real nice trail town, a must stop and great resupply point. From VT 11/30 north to Killington/Rutland (US-4), the trail has some tougher climbs like Peru Peak, Bakers Peak, and Killington, but still not as tough as the northern sections of the LT that are yet to come as you head north. From Maine Junction just north of US-4/Rutland, the AT turns east toward the VT/NH state line, that section of the AT has been described as a bit like Vermont's version of the "Roller Coaster" in Virginia. The Long Trail (LT) heads north another 169 miles from Maine Junction to the Canada/US border. As described well by 10-K after his LT e2e hike in 2012, the Long Trail is like 2 different trails. South of Lincoln Gap is more typical rocks n' roots AT hiking. North of Lincoln Gap the LT is much more challenging, more like Maine. However, the LT from Maine Junction north to Brandon Gap is long green tunnel easier ups n downs. From Brandon Gap north to Lincoln Gap is more challenging, becomes rockier, as the LT begins to traverse thru some of the ski slopes and ski areas. Personally I thought the LT from Appalachian Gap north was the most challenging part of the LT. Have fun!
    Last edited by Praha4; 06-12-2014 at 11:00.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Bennington to Rutland is a great 90 mile section. Including two fire towers, three wonderful ponds, rock cairn garden, airport overlook and plenty of resupply options.
    That's whats attractive to me about it. I don't mind the long green tunnel. I'll have other chances to do one or two night trips with better views (Bigelows in Sept, that kind of thing). This would be my first time doing 100 miles, so easy resupply is appealing to me.

I could also hike on to Killington and jump out there. Thanks for the info, and specifically the info on the dog!

AT 2012

That's whats attractive to me about it. I don't mind the long green tunnel. I'll have other chances to do one or two night trips with better views (Bigelows in Sept, that kind of thing). This would be my first time doing 100 miles, so easy resupply is appealing to me.

I could also hike on to Killington and jump out there. Thanks for the info, and specifically the info on the dog!

lazy option is to go when you can take the chairlift and start your hike at the top!
    Lazarus

Images

Ok, I sat down and roughed this out and this is what I came up with, would love some feedback and have a few questions.

I figure I'll stay in Killington the night before the hike and get an early shuttle to Bennington.

Who can shuttle me from Killington to Bennington?

Where can I leave my car in Killington?

I like to map out the trip even though it never goes 100% as planned, so this is my rough plan:

First Night

Bennington to Goddard Shelter - 10.1 miles

Second Night

Goddard Shelter to Story Spring Shelter - 8.9 miles

Third Night

Story Spring Shelter to Stratton Pond Shelter - 10.4 miles

Fourth Night

Stratton Pond Shelter to Manchester VT - 10.7 miles

Shower, Resupply, Stay someplace in Manchester. Where should I stay in Manchester?

Fifth Night

Manchester VT to Peru Peak Shelter - 10.1 miles

Sixth Night

Peru Peak Shelter to Little Rock Pond Shelter - 9.7 miles

Seventh Night

Little Rock Pond Shelter to Wallingford VT - 6.3 miles

Shower, Resupply, Stay someplace in Wallingford. Where should I stay in Wallingford?

Eighth Night

Wallingford VT to Clarendon Shelter - 7.3 miles

Ninth Night

Clarendon Shelter to Cooper Lodge Shelter - 10.1 miles

Tenth Night

Cooper Lodge Shelter to Killington, VT - 9.6 miles

Is this is a logical plan? Does the hike seem doable for someone who averages 8 miles a day in Maine, and 10 a day elsewhere?

Who can shuttle me from Killington to Bennington?

Where can I leave my car in Killington?
    Doug McKain. 802 388 5407 or 860 214 4180. Lives in Middlebury. Shuttled me several times over the last two summers.

Where to leave car: Rte. 4 AT/LT trailhead. Or possibly at the Inn at the Long Trail -- I'd certainly give them a call, they're quite used to dealing with hikes.

Images

There is low cost bus service from Rutland (or Inn at the Long Trail) to Bennington. It does require a transfer in Manchester but will end up costing you $4 or 5 dollars.

http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm

http://www.greenmtncn.org/regional.html
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Manchester Center, VT

Journal Entries
    Images

Bennington to Rutland is a PIA resuppying. Your plan looks good to me. Not a bad idea to carry one extra days food. The Southern Part of the Long Trail is a pleasant walk unless its buggy or rainy. Have fun. Also might wanna give the GMC a call on the where to stay options. They are good people. Esp Jenn she won't send ya on a wild goose chase on the where to stay questions. When I was younger carried all my food from North Adams to Rutland more than once. But that was than, and these days I'm more into enjoying rather than miles per day.
    Last edited by lemon b; 06-16-2014 at 11:24.

Images

PIA? (I think you're saying it's not easy. )

If I can get Ramen and oatmeal and snack type food, I'll be fine.

There is no grocery store in Wallingford (or near-by) and the only place to stay would be 0ne of two very expensive looking B+Bs. Wouldn't be worth the trouble to try and get there.

You should resupply in Manchester Center. The Green Mountain House is the place to stay, but I'm not sure if Jeff allows dogs. Then go the distance to Killington. For the most part, that section of trail is really easy. You can get a good lunch (or breakfast) at the Whistle stop, about .5 miles off the trail at Clarendon Gorge (VT103). I think there is a small store another .3 down the road.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is no grocery store in Wallingford (or near-by) and the only place to stay would be 0ne of two very expensive looking B+Bs. Wouldn't be worth the trouble to try and get there.

You should resupply in Manchester Center. The Green Mountain House is the place to stay, but I'm not sure if Jeff allows dogs. Then go the distance to Killington. For the most part, that section of trail is really easy. You can get a good lunch (or breakfast) at the Whistle stop, about .5 miles off the trail at Clarendon Gorge (VT103). I think there is a small store another .3 down the road.
    See Jeff's post (#8.) Says he's OK with dogs and suggests the Whistle Stop. I've been wondering about Danby. Was that the town I was looking at from Baker Peak, on the trail? What's there?

(Did you hike yesterday, if so where and how was the weather?)

LOL- Jeff was kindly avoiding direct promotion- but read his signature.
    He is the place to stay in Manchester-
    Manchester Center, VT

Yes- you can park at Inn at Long Trail- and if you're not in a horrible hurry- the bus system is quite nice in Vermont.
    Inn at Long Trail to Bennington is pretty easy- the last run from Bennington to the border (williamstown/mt adams) is a once a day deal- if time is tight, if I recall correctly- it cost me a $45 dollar cab ride from Bennington to Williamstown. You can also skip the last few miles and get on at Bennington itself if that appeals to you more or the last leg of the public transportation schedule doesn't work out right- you'll only miss a day of Vermont.

This is an excellent section of trail! And NOBO a good way to do it. In addition-
    Consider putting in the extra food and exploring a shuttle from Hanover back to Killington. If your first 100 miles goes well, you could use your car as a resupply and continue on to finish the last section on the AT.
    Or continue on the LT to the border- although that is serious country akin to the worst of Maine/NH. But there is a fella who lives up top who will shuttle you back down to Killington. (Don't have his name handy-but could get it) His shuttle was $150 though.

Your itinerary looks good based upon your miles, as a Mainer you will likely greatly enjoy the woods (southern Northwoods if there is such a thing) that others were knocking a bit- it's a very nice stretch- one of my favorites.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++