WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default 8 state Challenge

I am tentatively scheduled to do another 8 state challenge on May 21-22. This is an out and back of the infamous 4 state challenge that would start at Pen-Mar go to Va and back, a total of 84 miles in under 48 hours. The plan would be to leave at or before the crack of Dawn on Saturday and do a total of 50-55 miles on Saturday, likely to the first throw down site north of Harper's ferry then do the last 35 on Sunday.

I am looking to see if anyone might be interested in doing this trip. It would be semi-independent, meaning if one has to drop, the other(s) continues on. I did this trip in 2012 and while the length and back to back nature is challenging, the terrain is fairly straight-forward. I would only recommend someone attempt this if they have done 40+ miles/day and lived to walk the next day.

I'll do it with you if they allow me to use a mountain bike. I'll even be part of your pace crew. I'll do some important stuff like shining a light to the path and inspiring you. We'll call ourselves Single Malt. You can do it Malty. Let's go. Stop whining. Dig in. Dig deeper. Let's go. Pick it up. What are you a girl? You're embarrassing yourself. My grandmother can do better. Where's your kilt? That's it. Feel da burn. Pace yourself now. Don't aggravate those hemorrhoids. Here, have some water with electrolytes. Does it contain any banned substances? No, no of course not.

Testosterone is a wonderful thing!
    Sounds very hard. Cant wait to hear all about it. Good luck!

Good luck.
    Sounds like a good challenge.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Very doable, easy terrain, just takes foot toughness and drive. Good luck and enjoy the challenge! Pure type-2 fun.

I swear I'd consider flying out and joining you considering you'll be starting this on my 60th birthday! I've done 70 in a day recently, my own single-day PR, I think I'd have an 84 miler in two days still in me.

But alas at that time, we'll be sipping scotch and doing our own 100-miler, though over 7-8 days along the West Highland Way (in Scotland).

Images

I don't really understand doing this but I do know you're the guy that can do it. Good luck!
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

I swear I'd consider flying out and joining you considering you'll be starting this on my 60th birthday! I've done 70 in a day recently, my own single-day PR, I think I'd have an 84 miler in two days still in me.

But alas at that time, we'll be sipping scotch and doing our own 100-miler, though over 7-8 days along the West Highland Way (in Scotland).
    Rob, congratulations! That sounds like an awesme 60th! Just remember over there it's called whisky without the "e"
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Good luck! But it sounds more like a "Four State Challenge Yo Yo" than an eight state challenge.

I may be doing about that same mileage at about the same time and in the same neighborhood. On a bicycle, on the Great Allegheny Passage. Well, hopefully the trip will be wrapping up right around then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You can do it Malty. Let's go. Stop whining. Dig in. Dig deeper. Let's go. Pick it up. What are you a girl? You're embarrassing yourself. My grandmother can do better.
    funny thing is, girls are better at this sorta stuff. more girls finish the AT that start than boys. they're tougher by far

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    funny thing is, girls are better at this sorta stuff. more girls finish the AT that start than boys. they're tougher by far
    Tougher, smarter and definitely much prettier. I finally agree with a LW post!

Long ago learned backpacking hiking ability knows no gender.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Tougher, smarter and definitely much prettier. I finally agree with a LW post!
    Even when I disagree, LW's posts give me something to think about. And yes, women are all that and more.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Last weekend I did HF ATC to Rt. 522 (54 miles) in 36 hours. If I didn't have an important prior commitment I might think about joining you on your attempt. I did Pen-Mar to HF ATC in March. That's about the easiest 40 miles on the trail I've come across so far. 84 miles in 48 hours would probably cripple me. I need to lose about 15 lbs, but I think I could do it. Maybe next year.

Good luck! Please post your outcome.

Hey, if it helps..."you'll never make it" have fun.

Malto, are you still doing this? Ironically I was just considering a similar trip the other day (Start at the south end, camp at Falls Creek, 1064.6).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Malto, are you still doing this? Ironically I was just considering a similar trip the other day (Start at the south end, camp at Falls Creek, 1064.6).
    Yes I will, it may be two weeks later, haven't nailed it down yet.

Let me know when you get it nailed down. No guarantees that my wife will sign my permission slip, but it sounds like a good time.

Images

Bright (or not) and early (likely very early) I will be heading out of Penmar south on the "8 state challenge". Weather looks great, almost a full moon one of the longest days of the year and I am feeling great. For the first time in a long time I will be pushing all out to test the limits of 24 hour mileage ability. The total out and back will be about 86 miles and my goal is to beat my previous 43 hour time for the route. I look forward to meeting a few hikers, already gave 4 hikers and a hiking dog a ride into Waynesboro. If your out and about in the area, I will be wearing a blaze orange visor. Full report n my return.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries
    Images

We may be in and around the area of Pogo Campsite Sat eve. Maybe our paths will cross once or twice.
    -KaptainKrunch and MessyMarvin
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++