WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Maybe instead of 5 million steps, I think it may be time for 12 steps
    Yeah, but for which personality? If they all started treatment at the same time, could they get a group discount?

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Yeah, but for which personality? If they all started treatment at the same time, could they get a group discount?
    How many we talking?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    How many we talking?
    At least two (by my count...but, I am still new here), but could be a whole group! Not sure anyone knows just how many personalities he might actually have. Hmmm... Maybe he should change his name to Sybil?

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Yeah, you know you're cool when you can bring split personalities together to work in harmony.
    I don't know, they may be in harmony about the shut up part, but they seem to be struggling about the sit down and hike part, unless they have figured out how to hike while sitting down?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    I don't know, they may be in harmony about the shut up part, but they seem to be struggling about the sit down and hike part, unless they have figured out how to hike while sitting down?
    Good point...Maybe another personality emerges to pull them on a sled? That would cover sitting and hiking at the same time...

Well, what can anyone of us do about it except sit around and make jokes about him. We can't do anything else. That's sad...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Well, what can anyone of us do about it except sit around and make jokes about him. We can't do anything else. That's sad...
    He did trash a friend and really good guy.....why.......................bourbon, scotch...........budlite?

I know he trashed a really good guy... who knows why? Yeah, all of the above and more maybe.... I wish he could get some help....

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I know he trashed a really good guy... who knows why? Yeah, all of the above and more maybe.... I wish he could get some help....
    He'll be getting some help soon. Try putting him on ignore.

Also, several posters are getting a bit personal with their comments. Please try to remain civil in your disagreement.

Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'm still waiting to hear all about IB's thru-hike.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBASTARD View Post
    WHO IS THIS SOMEONE HIKERBOI?! OBVIOUSLY their a LIAR and fool...no way in HELL did FOUR THOUSAND PEOPLE START IN GA. DO YOU KNOW on average over SIXTY people would be at each shelter...would suggest you ASK ATC not some smuck. PLEASE ALSO SPELL THE WORDS OUT..."true hiker" it confuses the less intelligent creatures aka people who can't read GIBBERISH BS. YEA by the time ANY thru hiker reaches the WHITES...its a success TRY IT ASS____ instead of your USUAL WHINING. AMC is over paid scum and should be DEALT WITH by the GOVERNMENT and any and ALL contracts PULLED. They fight for these contracts TOOTH AND NAIL...for the unholy DOLLAR nothing more. THE AMOUNT of your posts is insane...perhaps quit trolling the web...and start a GROUP TO HIKE IN NYC AND AREAS AROUND IT. SO HIKERBOI learn to understand unless you hike and have PROPER stats from real SOURCES...SIT DOWN SHUTUP AND GO HIKE.
    Given your distaste of "GIBBERISH BS," I suggest that you refrain from reading your own posts.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

If Irish Bastard should refrain from reading his own posts does that mean Roadside should refrain from reading Irish Bastard's posts and Irish Bastard should refrain from reading Roadside's posts or are they not reading their own posts if they're reading each others posts?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I object to the post comparing the amc with the mafia. The mafia has been destructive on a far larger scale, negatively affecting far larger numbers of people. The amc, for example, does not deliberately profit from drugs and prosecution and does not commit deliberate murder.

The flair and sense of honor sometimes attributed to the mafia is, I believe, largely fictional. Leave that part of the comparison out and and I believe the amc is not as bad an organization as the mafia. Just my opinion.

spelling: prostitution

Freudian slip? Not for me to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    T
    The huts are the cash cow that funds the trail work..
    I've already proven this is not true and the half of the funds go into the pockets of executives info salaries. If they are telling you the funds are being mostly for the trail, THEY ARE LYING TO YOU

If you don't want to believe their own tax statements, I can't help you further, just continue to be in denial... But just in case you missed it, here it is again. Again, look at the salaries they are paying themselves off the backs of volunteers.

http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990_...201012_990.pdf

Here's even more proof how corrupt the AMC has become.. Here is their 2002 tax form. (8 years earlier)

http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990_...200212_990.pdf

You'll notice they had revenue of 18 million in 2002 compared to 20 million in 2010....... An increase of 10 percent
    However, salaries in 2002 were 7 million dollars, in 2010 it was over 10 million dollars..... An increase of 50 percent....

And finally the kicker... In 2002, the highest paid employee of the AMC made $118,000 a year... In 2010, the highest paid employee of the AMC made nearly $400,000 a year....

Those are the facts, I've given proof of the facts via their own government 990 form....

As we're slogging along, we take comfort that the ground we walk over is being overseen by people making $400,000 per year.

I certainly would not trust my feet to anyone making less!

Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    As we're slogging along, we take comfort that the ground we walk over is being overseen by people making $400,000 per year.

I certainly would not trust my feet to anyone making less!

Hahahahahahahahahaha, nice on

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post
    Here's even more proof how corrupt the AMC has become.. Here is their 2002 tax form. (8 years earlier)

http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990_...200212_990.pdf

You'll notice they had revenue of 18 million in 2002 compared to 20 million in 2010....... An increase of 10 percent
    However, salaries in 2002 were 7 million dollars, in 2010 it was over 10 million dollars..... An increase of 50 percent....

And finally the kicker... In 2002, the highest paid employee of the AMC made $118,000 a year... In 2010, the highest paid employee of the AMC made nearly $400,000 a year....

Those are the facts, I've given proof of the facts via their own government 990 form....
    And believe about a quarter of the crap you find on the googles. I think the Original Point in all of this was about the AMC's responsibility of trails and how the AT, according to one person, does nothing to maintain the trail. We can have a fight and argue about who gets what and where it goes. However, when you actually get out and hike in these mountains, you see first hand how hard these people work to maintain rugged terrain. To me, the love for The Whites is the fact that they are difficult and challenging. I certainly love some of the climbs up here and look forward to Maine kicking my ass this weekend. Go hike from Crawford Notch up to the Mt Willey and lets talk about rugged and hard. That friggin mountain is just solid rock, the whole way and I love it. You dont need any blazes. That's a 4 mile, 1000 foot per mile, climb that just beats you senseless!
    The Huts have a purpose as well as the tent sites. Its keeps the tourons regulated a little. I dont think any less of people staying in Huts, I just do not prefer to stay in them myself. I stayed in 1 on my thru and left at 3:30am. The caretaker at the campsites have to deal with poo and bitchy hikers as well as major trail maintenance projects. They also have to pack in everything to do those things. I think people lose sight sitting at a computer screen and complaining, especially when you are on your thru hike and almost finished. IMO, your priorities are screwed up. Its funny to me because the only people I ever heard bitch about how hard NH and ME are, were the hikers that slackpacked about 1/2 of the trail. Maybe thats the case here. If not, your man card is rejected! When we hit Vermont, we tried to hit the brakes as much as we could and really only did huge miles on rainy days. Honestly OP, I wish you the best and if you hate it so much up here, you dont ever have to come back, but thanks for stopping by.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post

An accurate reading of the 2002 form 990 shows that the AMC's highest paid employee (Andrew Falander sp?) made over double the $118K figure you cite for that year.

That is what some call a "true" fact.

I don't expect you to apologize for your error. Nor do I expect you will consider how the AMC has purchased and protected many 10's of thousands of acres of land up in Maine over that same period you call out.

Not with your money, but with that of its members-- in amounts ranging from a few dollars to millions.

I don't expect you to recognize that the land the AMC has protected is something you can enjoy-- whether or not you elect to stay at one of their facilities or not. You will be welcome as will your children and grandchildren and great grand children.

I don't expect you to agree that a membership organization with widespread operations in many states, and running everything from camps, to the huts to professional (and volunteer) trail crews, to a publishing arm (books guides and magazine) to a small museum (have you ever checked out the Brad Washbourn exhibit) to hostels, requires a leadership with special talents. Or even see that the huts are just the most visible part of the AMC -- a part that accommodates some 40,000 people a year, BTW. But there is so much more. Do you even know about Upper Goose Pond?

I don't expect you to understand the value of countless hours (unpaid) put in by the AMC board, and by other at the chapter level-- and how those who are actually paying the bills (I am assuming you are not a contributor) believe that their organization deserves the level of individuals the hire.

But I would expect you get your basic fact straight before calling them out as corrupt.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
++ New Posts ++