WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

I have witnessed a handful of intoxicated hikers in Pennsylvania, mainly close to main trail/road intersections. It is very sad and concerning that people that are so inebriated want to hike over some treacherous terrain (Pennsylvania rocks).

I tend to avoid all the camping druggies and alcohol users by camping away from trails and trail shelters.

One thing you never do is bring attention to yourself or tell them it is wrong or illegal. Why gain unwanted attention by people who may want to fight when intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.

Hope this helps.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." - John Muir
    My Outdoors Blog | Emergency Outdoors - Your source for outdoor, camping, survival and emergency preparedness gear

I really don't care about the stoners but when alcohol is involved you can bet there's gonna be a fight. I've never been in a fight at a pot party. Everbody was too stoned and into understanding the "meaning of life" to want to fight. But, when people have been drinking out come the beer balls and all of the sudden they are 10ft tall and bullet proof.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I really don't care about the stoners but when alcohol is involved you can bet there's gonna be a fight. I've never been in a fight at a pot party. Everbody was too stoned and into understanding the "meaning of life" to want to fight. But, when people have been drinking out come the beer balls and all of the sudden they are 10ft tall and bullet proof.
    I agree 100%,alcohol changes peoples personality,and hardly ever for the good,I stay away from the drunks,met one this past weekend at a nice party,till this ahole was walking around with a bottle of rum wanting every one to drink like him,he chilled after spoke at him,Fk em,never like that idiot anyway,he's a jerk.I can say all this because that use to be me,till I wised up a bit,now I'm just a jerk,and not all the other expletives,depending on who you ask.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-12-2012 at 18:42.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I'm late to the thread here, but one thing I'm surprised no one's mentioned is that being social and having a network of friends can keep you away from the alcohol and drugs. If you're thru-hiking and you get to know everyone around you, you tend to figure out ahead of time when and where people might be raging. That goes for town and shelters. You can then act accordingly. I know I went both ways with this--there were times when I knew people would be partying it up in shelters and I didn't really want to be doing that (I've never liked to be inebriated in the woods), so I'd move on or hang back, stealth camp, etc. I skipped right through the NOC because I knew who was around and there was some reggae festival going on, and I knew it would be a *****show and I wasn't interested at the time. But other times I would group up with certain people going into town if I did want to live it up for the night and hike on at 2pm the next day.

Just know who's who, who's around, and what their tendencies are. If you know ahead of time, you don't even have to stop in at a party shelter and then cast your judgment by conspicuously moving on. You can just avoid the whole situation altogether.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
    Do you have a moral objection or a practical objection? If you don't like the noise, ask them to quiet down. If you don't like the smell, ask them not to smoke in the shelter. If this doesn't work, go pitch a tent. I find them much less annoying than a wet smelly dog or a jackhammer snorer, and I get along with those okay too.

(for reference I don't do drugs or drink excessively on the trail)
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

The only problem I've ever had with trail stoners was them lighting up in a shelter full of kids. I found drunks to be way more problematic and confrontational. I stop and cook at the shelter early and then move on down the trail and stealth camp. Makes my life much easier and I dont have to deal with morons as much.

When I lived near Damascus I would do weekend trips and stop for dinner at Thomas Knob and then cowboy camp up on a rock outcrop in the highlands.

Images

Meeting all sorts is part of why I am coming to the US to hike the AT.
    The AT is essentially unique among trails in that as well as being a long distance hike it is a social experience. I could go to numerous places and have a wonderful hike without a lot of the drugs, the booze and the smoking etc. And after the AT I may well do others.
    BUT while I don't do drugs, drink little and don't smoke I am looking forward to immersing myself in the AT experience.
    This does not mean I WANT to share my hut with all of the above but I suspect at times I will.
    As long as there is no violence I am cool with it. A drunk with a gun would concern me.
    My wife is concerned about bears and snakes. My only worries are some of those on two legs. All others are predictable creatures.
    If it looks too "rough" I will hike on, stealth camp or some of the other suggestions.
    As far as "getting back" at them, you could always take their bootlaces and leave a note that says "Bill Bryson was here".

Quote Originally Posted by roy_hiking View Post
    How can the people doing the heavy drinking and drugs on and along the AT be keep away?
    What's wrong with heavy drinking and drugs? Seriously. Live and let live.

What else don't you like? Let's make a list and KEEP OUT everyone who you don't approve of.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    . I could go to numerous places and have a wonderful hike without a lot of the drugs, the booze and the smoking etc.
    While there is drinking and smoking on the trial, it is almost always done in moderation and often discretely. Heavy drinking isn't very common nor is "drug" use. At worse, you'll see someone take a few sips from a flask or a couple of tokes off a pipe and that's it for the evening.

On rare occasions you might run into a group of locals partying at a shelter or campsite which is an easy walk from a road. Usually on a Saturday night. If you happen to run into a group like that, it is usually a good idea to push on, although it can be fun to join them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I have spent over 500 nights on the AT and have seen alot of alcohol and weed on the trail but never a fight.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I have spent over 500 nights on the AT and have seen alot of alcohol and weed on the trail but never a fight.

geek
    We saw some stuff go down at Wayah Shelter a couple of years ago. Thruhiker just flipped out and started threatening people cuz we were drinking around the fire and it wasn't even dark yet. Threatened bodily harm on our friend. This is why I avoid shelters at all costs. So much different in the south than it is up here, esp in Vermont

Journal Entries
    Images

Default The Gin Wars...England's other darkest hour....

By 1743, the people of England were drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin annually per head of population. As consumption levels increased, an organised campaign for more effective legislation began to emerge, led by the Bishop of Sodor and Man, Thomas Wilson (who, in 1736, had complained that gin produced a 'drunken ungovernable set of people').

The fights at bars were so bad the police tiered of controlling the behavior.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I haven't seen much booze on the trail, but the amount of weed is getting downright comical. Cheech & Chong to the AT, coming soon to a theater near you!

Journal Entries
    Images

Well that would have merit seeing as that Jackass - Johnny Knoxville is driving like a ahole in his blue Panatera and cutting cookies locally I suggest you make the movie before he does.

1889+blue+car+2.JPG

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    By 1743, the people of England were drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin annually per head of population. As consumption levels increased, an organised campaign for more effective legislation began to emerge, led by the Bishop of Sodor and Man, Thomas Wilson (who, in 1736, had complained that gin produced a 'drunken ungovernable set of people').

The fights at bars were so bad the police tiered of controlling the behavior.
    I never could drink Gin,made me crazy.I'd rob a bank,on the way to rob a bank,and who know's,I may have.....juniper berries allergy?

Quote Originally Posted by mateozzz View Post
    I haven't seen much booze on the trail, but the amount of weed is getting downright comical. Cheech & Chong to the AT, coming soon to a theater near you!
    I'm told/have heard,that much of the domestic weed is grown in Tenn.

[QUOTE=Iceaxe;1297538]Then there was the night I really wanted a shelter and some long trail hikers had their tents all set up in the shelter and i started to get all pissy about it.

I would have most likely said something to them. The shelters are not for tenting and if I was the only one to show up to use the shelter they should have understood and made room. It was rude of them to do that!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I never could drink Gin,made me crazy.I'd rob a bank,on the way to rob a bank,and who know's,I may have.....juniper berries allergy?

I'm told/have heard,that much of the domestic weed is grown in Tenn.
    Everyone blames the Juniper Berries... ITs more about alcohol volume. It makes people angry

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Everyone blames the Juniper Berries... ITs more about alcohol volume. It makes people angry
    Good point...Hic-up

Journal Entries
    Images

Good point. Scrub Hiker

What I experienced wasn’t that hikers had the alcohol or the drugs it was the trail magic guys that set up tents, chairs and big pots of food. If you wanted to get drunk and or stoned you stayed the night at their camp or simply moved on. These guys also had hot dogs, hamburgers, sodas,etc... so dont judge to harshly. Pot was carried by a few but as was stated those guys dropped off pretty quick. Unless you can buy dehydrated beer and shine most don’t want the weight of packing it.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++