WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    I have a atmos 50 @3000 and is a good pack 3lb...But my Exodus smokes it in carry and wt @11oz.

When we talk UL,the big 4 should be under 5lb....so you dont need a frame.Remember you are out 4 day's at a time, and if your ul you pack lite.

Jack you got as much miles as all i'm sure and i respect that highly...but this is UL not the common walkers.
    Not always, UL is about the gear, I hike for long periods in the desert, I gotsta carry lots of water and food for a week, that right there puts me in need of a frame.

Like I said earlier, the cut off for UL isn't a cut and dry line.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Not always, UL is about the gear, I hike for long periods in the desert, I gotsta carry lots of water and food for a week, that right there puts me in need of a frame.

I understand out west,but not on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post

BTW What do you know...I'M a die hard HUSKER FAN.

Slow:

You mentioned that none of the popular packs I mentioned are UL.

But you also said plenty of "UL" packs have made it on a thru.

Please name them. I'm sure people would wanna know what they are.

I submit that the number of folks who have finished a thru with packs weighing less than a pound and under 3000 cubes is actually very small. If there were one or two packs that have done this a lot, or were absolutely the best ones to use on an UL thru, then I think we'd all know what they are.

But I'll wait for Slow to tell us....

And Slow, please don't take this as a slap, but if you acknowledge that you know the West and don't really know the A.T., then maybe you shouldn't be so quick to tell folks what'll work best on the A.T., no?

I mean, walk the walk, and then.......

naturejunkie,

You may want to investigate Six Moon Designs Starlight: 3400 cu in with extension collar + more in mesh pockets, weighs 25 oz or 30 oz with optional alum stays. Durable fabric. Gets good reviews.

Good reviews? Yes.

Seen on the A.T. much this past year? Um, no.

ultrarunner, long distance hiker, AT enthusiast

Gossamer Gear Mariposa... I've used it several times and I like it a lot - pretty comfortable. 17 oz and 4200 cu in.

Good luck!
    Check out my blog: greggoodson.com
    Friend me on Facebook: facebook.com/greggoodson
    Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/greggoodson

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Slow:

You mentioned that none of the popular packs I mentioned are UL.

But you also said plenty of "UL" packs have made it on a thru.

Please name them. I'm sure people would wanna know what they are.

I submit that the number of folks who have finished a thru with packs weighing less than a pound and under 3000 cubes is actually very small. If there were one or two packs that have done this a lot, or were absolutely the best ones to use on an UL thru, then I think we'd all know what they are.

But I'll wait for Slow to tell us....

And Slow, please don't take this as a slap, but if you acknowledge that you know the West and don't really know the A.T., then maybe you shouldn't be so quick to tell folks what'll work best on the A.T., no?

I mean, walk the walk, and then.......
    Jack,first show me a sub 5 in a 2lb range pack...ul?

Now ul you really dont see much of when YOU are on trail.Why... imho You dont look?

Now tell me that a ula AMP or a ZIP NEVER MADE A THRU.THIS IS A UL FORUM....look it up?

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    Jack,first show me a sub 5 in a 2lb range pack...ul?

Now ul you really dont see much of when YOU are on trail.Why... imho You dont look?

Now tell me that a ula AMP or a ZIP NEVER MADE A THRU.THIS IS A UL FORUM....look it up?
    Well, I did an 11-day section in GA/NC in June with a GG Vapor Trail, I saw several Vapor Trails. Most folks were carrying LARGE packs that dwarfed the size of a Vapor Trail. I don't remember seeing a single "Mariposa" type UL pack, and I know what they look like.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Well, I did an 11-day section in GA/NC in June with a GG Vapor Trail, I saw several Vapor Trails. Most folks were carrying LARGE packs that dwarfed the size of a Vapor Trail. I don't remember seeing a single "Mariposa" type UL pack, and I know what they look like.
    2lb is not UL..PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

Images

Jack,

You have made a valid point that most of the packs used by thru hikers are large & heavy. Too large & heavy IMHO.

I am a section hiker and use my choice of several different packs. I use an Osprey Stratos 32 for hot weather, and a Gossamer Gear G4 / G5 for cold weather hiking. I use an ULA Catalyst for my heavy loads or when I know there will be bushwhacking. The ULA was used in the rockies this summer, but it has not made it to the AT yet.

I have yet to see another hiker on the AT with a UL/SUL pack. I do see quite a few Granite Gear packs. But, I've got better things to do than wait at a trailhead to watch every hiker passing by. I know UL AT thru hikes have been successfully done as it is documented on the Backpacking Light website. I recently read about a UL hiker completing a yo-yo hike.

I've been engaged by Slow several times regarding my gear choices and I don't care for it. Slow - HYOH and stop running down other hikers gear choices. Gear selection is the art of compromise.

Good Day
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    I used a Mariposa Plus for most of my hike. At the beginning of November I switched to a Gregory G because I increased the weight of what was in my pack by adding winter gear. I ran into several NOBOs in '06 using very light small packs. They were not the norm, by any means, but you can certainly do it, especially during the warm weather.

The SUL packs tend to be rather fragile. At least one NOBO I talked to had had his blow out during the hike. Unless you are exquisitely careful, I think a lightweight pack is a better choice. They are slightly heavier, but that's because the material is sturdier. If I were to set off on the AT next spring, I'd carry my ULA Conduit, which is the same make and model Skittles used this year on his AT hike, and is currently using on his CDT hikes. A sturdy pack, with some nice features.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I never got an answer, so I'll try again:

Slow, please tell us which UL packs are widely known to have done the A.T. "many" times.

Lots of us would like to know about this.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

3000 CI is about right for a thru-hike, esp on the AT, to be honest. Much larger, and you are hauling a bigger pack than most people need.

FWIW, my friend Andy (Garlic) just did the AT with with a Mariposa and it is still in usable condition.

In fairness, lightweight backpacking does not seem to be as popular back East as it is out West for whatever reason.

Most people, myself included, probably treat their gear too rough to use a pack like a Mariposa, though. I use the SMD Essence for whatever it is worth.

As others said, if you are looking for a more traditional pack (frame support), that is still pretty light, you can't go wrong with ULA Gear.

As a tangent, every year PCT and CDT hikers (and Hayduke Trail and AZT hikers for that matter) walk through the desert hauling water with a frameless ruck.

At the end of the day, get a pack that works for you. Who cares what is the most popular pack?
    Last edited by Mags; 10-09-2008 at 14:07.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Good reviews? Yes.

Seen on the A.T. much this past year? Um, no.
    Jack, I see the SMD Starlite pack every time I'm on the Trail. Of course, that might be because I'm, um, wearing it. Great pack for long distance hiking. Big enough for my winter gear, with enough support for that first day out of town with a full food bag, but still under two pounds. The basic design is "bloody great sack" but it has three mesh exterior pockets and a pocket for your sleeping pad which provides support. Also takes two light aluminum stays if you want them (and I generally just leave them in.)

Egads, I think Jack made the point that most packs used by thru-hikers this year came from major manufacturers, not that most packs are too big and heavy. Sure, a 7-pound pack is too heavy. But most of the thru-hikers I see are carrying 3+ pound packs, which are a good choice for the AT in my opinion. Sure, if you are a dedicated, experienced UL'er, you can make do with an 8-ounce, 1800ci pack. But most thru-hikers aren't, and can't.

NatureJunkie, I have seen thru-hikers (and long sectioners ) on the AT carrying packs from Gossamer Gear, Six Moons Designs, Golite, and ULA. These companies offer different sizes and weights in their pack lines, but generally are considered light to ultralight. If it were me, I'd want something in the 3000-3600 cubic inch range, under two pounds, and able to support 30-35 pounds with a full load of food and cold weather gear. (Yes, I just described my Starlite, as well as several other packs from these makers.) But you can certainly have a successful thru with a smaller and lighter pack.

Good luck and happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I hiked with the Luxury Lite external frame,weighing in at a llittle over 2 lbs.. The cylinders were modular so my volume varied. but it was over 3000 ci. Recently I hiked with the Gossamer G5 which was around 8 oz. and had about 3800 ci. For ultra light packing you could consider Go Lite or Gossamer gear stuff. But a lot of people complain of shoulder pain if you load it down with more than 20 lbs.. It limits what you can carry and the only frame you get is one of those little foam pads which slides into the back.. Also you can stuff your socks into the shoulder straps for padding too..

I don't see why a UL pack (1 lb) or near UL pack (2 lbs) can't be higher volume (3200ci to 4000ci). Volume don't hurt, and can actually save weight and money by allowing you to carry blue foam pads vs self-inflating pads and avoid compression sacks and stuff like that. I think a sub 3000ci pack might still be big enough though, but harder to manage.

I have a JAM2, 3100ci, 20oz, $100, and have no trouble using it in winter here. I would use something somewhat different or modified for a thru-hike, but about the same weight and size.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Jack,

You have made a valid point that most of the packs used by thru hikers are large & heavy. Too large & heavy IMHO.

I am a section hiker and use my choice of several different packs. I use an Osprey Stratos 32 for hot weather, and a Gossamer Gear G4 / G5 for cold weather hiking. I use an ULA Catalyst for my heavy loads or when I know there will be bushwhacking. The ULA was used in the rockies this summer, but it has not made it to the AT yet.

I have yet to see another hiker on the AT with a UL/SUL pack. I do see quite a few Granite Gear packs. But, I've got better things to do than wait at a trailhead to watch every hiker passing by. I know UL AT thru hikes have been successfully done as it is documented on the Backpacking Light website. I recently read about a UL hiker completing a yo-yo hike.

I've been engaged by Slow several times regarding my gear choices and I don't care for it. Slow - HYOH and stop running down other hikers gear choices. Gear selection is the art of compromise.

Good Day
    Egads , if you are saying MB getting put down...well yes,Look at all boards and see how many return due to fill?If you or anyone paid that price and not happy with the product that is bad for MB bottom line.You can rave mb,cause you got the proper fill but many have not.so to say it is a top bag?
    Show me one post of a WM UNDER FILL?

I never got an answer, so I'll try again:

Slow, please tell us which UL packs are widely known to have done the A.T. "many" times.

Lots of us would like to know about this.
    JACK,Like i said MLD ZIP,ULA RELAY I'M sure have done it more than once.
    Do i have proof NO,just like knowing everones gear list since 1970.But i think RON,BRAIN... would know somewhat.

Default hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by naturejunkie View Post
    I have decided to make the switch to light/ultralight for my third attempt at an AT thru-hike. I am somewhat amazed by all the choices in ultralight backpacks and being so different from traditional packs, including my Osprey Aether 70, I have a couple questions. What volume range of ultralight pack is normal for a thru-hike? Also, what do you think the top five ultralight packs would be for a thru-hike? Thanks!
    Keeping in mind that "normal" is a setting on a clothes dryer I would guess

that 3500 ci would be a good average for thru-hikers packpacks.

I have these two: A old Go-lite breeze and a specially made version of the

ULA Circuit. Both are great packs.

Homemade has became more popular. We used to make all kinds of gear out

of old army parachutes, etc.

I have heard good things about Granite Gear, Mystery Ranch, and the

Comet pack from Six Moons design sure looks good. I have a Six Moons

Lunar Shelter and I know it is made well as well as light.

Good luck on this attempt and if I might share a touch of wisdom I learned

over the years of all yada yada including my own about gear this gear that,

weigh this weigh that. Watch trading ounces in your pack for pounds in your

head !
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++