WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    an AT thru-hike is a vacation
    This is your opinion, you can do with it as you wish but it does not make it so. Also being on vacation does not mean that one does not get oneself into a survival situation.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    a thru hike isnt any different than a vacation.extremely doubtful someone would be literally dying of thirst to justify breaking into someones home/trespass for water.
    Not yours to decide (thankfully)

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I believe a survival situation in some jurisdictions trumps this.
    ain't nobody gonna be in no survival situation on the mid-atlantic section of the AT. puhleeeeze!

Images

I believe a survival situation in some jurisdictions trumps this.
    not if the homeowner shoots first. i know i wouldnt be yelling out to some stranger breaking into my house to ask if he was in a survival situation. borders on the absurd.
    and we''re talking about the at.not night of the zombies.

Images

This is your opinion, you can do with it as you wish but it does not make it so. Also being on vacation does not mean that one does not get oneself into a survival situation.
    darwin understood this very well

Actually not legally, but it would be pretty hard to prove.
    Yes legally, if I find someone, uninvited, and whether they are armed or not, in my house and shoot them, it is legal. The "proof" is that they are an unknown individual, who was not "invited" in and were within the boundaries of my home, and that I thought that
    the intruder would hold a substantial risk for imminent serious danger to myself or others within the residence. Reply to law enforcement would be that the person in question, is "over there officer, I shot him because he presented an imminent danger and I feared
    for serious harm or death."

Journal Entries

I am sick and tired to hear that thru hikers should not expect special privileges, because they should as evidence that it is legally encoded, and that they experience such treatment. They are entitled, deal with it.

Hell the land was taken from this guy for the thru hikers by the US government. That is a real special privilege.

They are entitled, they are entitled deeply, trail angles know that, former thru hikers know that, including myself.
    Last edited by Starchild; 10-16-2013 at 16:44.

Images

I am sick and tired to hear that thru hikers should not expect special privileges, because they should as evidence that it is legally encoded, and that they expect such treatment. They are entitled, deal with it.

Hell the land was taken from this guy for the thru hikers by the US government. That is a real special privilege.
    what about section hikers and dayhikers, weekenders, the primary reason the at exists?
    thru hikers deserve no special treatment. 4out of 5 dont finish anyway.those are called section hikers. besides the fact you're talking about trespassing , breaking and entering.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    A homeowner has a right to protect his property
    Depends on the state.

I am sick and tired to hear that thru hikers should not expect special privileges, because they should as evidence that it is legally encoded, and that they expect such treatment. They are entitled, deal with it.

Well, except the AT wasn't created *just* for thru-hikers...so the government's land grab was to benefit all who use the AT -- day, section and thru-hikers alike. The AT was originally envisioned by Benton Mackaye to be a series of work and farming camps. At the time, the thought that someone would ever walk it end to end was never even entertained.
    Last edited by QHShowoman; 10-16-2013 at 16:58. Reason: Terrible grammar.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

maybe law enforcement people could opin, but i am not aware of any "right to survive" law that may mirror self-defense or the aggrandized "stand your ground" laws. maybe in a wilderness, isolated area maybe....but if you are on a street, i doubt that could work as "wilderness". i mean, where was the closest store...

I am sick and tired to hear that thru hikers should not expect special privileges, because they should as evidence that it is legally encoded, and that they experience such treatment. They are entitled, deal with it.

They are entitled, they are entitled deeply, trail angles know that, former thru hikers know that, including myself.
    wow. you actually believe this crap you wrote? you got issues

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Depends on the state.
    i live in ny

Please tell us you forgot to include one of those smiley thingees.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wow. you actually believe this crap you wrote? you got issues
    I do know that if a person actually killed a thru hiker that was only there because of a desperate need for water that person who killed the thru hiker would be in a worse position then the thru hiker.

1. I am sick and tired to hear that thru hikers should not expect special privileges, because they should as evidence that it is legally encoded, and that they experience such treatment. They are entitled, deal with it.

2. Hell the land was taken from this guy for the thru hikers by the US government. That is a real special privilege.

3. They are entitled, they are entitled deeply, trail angles know that, former thru hikers know that, including myself.
    1. Care to share some of these 'legally encoded' priveleges?

2. Nope. Not at all. Thru hikers were an afterthought at best. The land is for everyone's use.

3. What does 'deeply entitled' even mean? They may feel entitled, and that's often due to trail angels (the trail tends to bend organically, not many 'angles'), but that doesn't mean they deserve anything special. Former thru hikers may feel a connection to current thrus and help them because of it but that doesn't mean they are 'entitled' to it.

I do know that if a person actually killed a thru hiker that was only there because of a desperate need for water that person who killed the thru hiker would be in a worse position then the thru hiker.
    Not if the thru broke into their house... You break in my house I yell for you to leave. If you don't leave, what happens next is on you. That's how it is in my state, and many others. The law says nothing about breaking in for survival.

There is plenty of water in Maryland. What is your major malfunction? Hikers helping themselves to water on private property is why the trail was rerouted at Duncannon Pa. There was a hiker knocking on house doors in the vicinity of the 501 shelter this summer. The police were called, came into the shelter and took the dummy away for questioning LOL.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    1. Care to share some of these 'legally encoded' priveleges?
    Federally able to camp and shelter in the Smokies without a reservation, only ones able to tent at all. Locally only ones allowed to camp in the city park in Wanesboro VA, many more examples. In short thru hikers do get and are entitled to special privileges.

And this is my point, that they thru hike, as opposed to section hike, is a benefit to humanity, and therefor will be always granted special privileges. But in this case, in a desperate need for water, I find the guy lucky that he didn't shoot the thru hiker as he, not the hiker, would be the one to pay. the basic need for a human in need of water is the situation here, not that the person was a thru hiker.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mountain Edward View Post
    There is plenty of water in Maryland. What is your major malfunction? Hikers helping themselves to water on private property is why the trail was rerouted at Duncannon Pa. There was a hiker knocking on house doors in the vicinity of the 501 shelter this summer. The police were called, came into the shelter and took the dummy away for questioning LOL.
    I daresay that there is more to the story. Or is knocking on someone's door no longer considered a civil way to introduce oneself?

(Helping yourself at someone's water tap is a different story, and I'm not commenting on that.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++