WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I knew a guy who met Pres Lyndon Johnson but that was right after he "thruhiked" the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

I could drop all sorts of famous names - publically recognized, wealthy, powerful, influential people in high places I've met while hiking - Governors, Senators, Oscar Award winners, other actors/actresses, Hollywood Directors and Producers, professional athletes, Olympics athletes, owners of professional sports teams(NBA, MLB for example), authors, scientists, journalists, many on TV, CEOs/Owners of major companies, trail "celebrities", blah blah blah but as far as meeting "accomplished" people out hiking I consider EVERYONE who breaks from the status quo by hiking/backpacking to be ACCOMPLISHED!

I'm fairly confident the "famous" people I have recognized hiking/backpacking, and I had the fortune to spend some time with, pales in comparison to those whom I didn't recognize. You don't always know where and when you'll meet "famous" people that have the potential of altering your life and THEY DO NOT ALWAYS KNOW WHEN THEY WILL MEET SOMEONE LIKE ME THAT HAS THE SAME POTENTIAL OF ALTERING THEIR LIVES.

One thing that should be noted is that when you do notice these "accomplished" people hiking/backpacking they are probably doing it to remove themselves from the oohs and ahhs of public life so we might be respectful of that. They too are attempting to experience something by hiking/backpacking. LET THEM DO IT!

We need a thread on "Infamous People..."
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lissersmith View Post
    I met Andie McDowell (Groundhog Day actress) At Tricorner Knob in the GSMNP.
    My vote for best one so far. I would have enjoyed that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Met a lady who was an Army Apache pilot along the trail in GA back in 2011. Very few of them as I understand.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Images

I had the pleasure of walking for two days on the Camino this past September and spending one night in the La Faba Auberge with a group of people which included actor Alan Rickman (Hans Gruber from Diehard) got a few pictures too. He wasn't saying who he was but his accent and face it was hard to hide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

RedHat, Smokestack,Lone Wolf, Sgt Rock, Lumpy, Pirate, Miss Janet, Fishin Fred, Ron Haven, Baltamore Jack and a dozen more that I can't remember there names right now. All on the same day in Franklin, NC

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I met a guy named Dakota Mike. I think he turned up in a book I read once. Also met Billy Goat and Nimblewill Nomad. None of these folks are wealthy or anything like that. Met a guy named Tahoe Mike. I hear he has his own helicopter. He's probably somebody.
    I'd love to meet Nimblewill Nomad (reading now) on the trail and some of the other author hikers I've read! That'd be a lot cooler to me than your stereotypical celebrities.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++