WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Accomplished people you've met hiking

They look just like the rest of us, grungy and tired at the end of the day. Soaking wet from rain, looking for a place to get water or camp for the night. But if you probe a bit you will meet scholars, multi-millionaires, and other highly accomplished people hiking the AT. They have written books, built and sold companies, invented household products, run large organizations, and more. I met one of the inventors of the Roomba hiking in Maryland. I met a President of a large company in Virginia. Of course, these folks would rather talk about hiking than themselves.
    Who have you met on the trail?
    (Please let's not discuss lying politicians this time! Thanks.)

Images

I met Baltimore Jack.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

I don't really know, I don't ask. One of the great things for me about the trail is not evaluating people based on traditional measure of success in the real world. I suspect I have met some "very successful people" but their feet hurt like everyone else's.

I agree with Malto. My sister made the mistake of asking someone once. He was a pastor. She wouldn't let me open the Tennessee Honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I don't really know, I don't ask. One of the great things for me about the trail is not evaluating people based on traditional measure of success in the real world. I suspect I have met some "very successful people" but their feet hurt like everyone else's.
    I'll be talking to my wife about some hikers I met on the trail. She will invariably ask, "What do they do?" My standard answer is, "walk". Drives her nuts.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ITri View Post
    I agree with Malto. My sister made the mistake of asking someone once. He was a pastor. She wouldn't let me open the Tennessee Honey.
    Awww. I would have had to sneak off and have some, I love that stuff.

Images

i stayed at madison hut once and met the guy who used to sing the shaeffer beer jingle. its how he introduced himself to me(he started singing"shaeffer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one.") , which i found pretty funny. while we were sitting around before dinner, his daughter told the guy i was sitting next to that he looked familiar, was he on tv? i dont remember the guys name(i wasnt really that interested) but ironically, i do remember he said he was on law and order from time to time and had appeared in funny farm and american beauty.jack something,i think.
    i agree with malto. i just want to know who they are on the trail, dont care who they are off it.and i may not want to know who they are at all.

I met an accomplished opera singer walking through the Whites. Saw her at Lake of the Clouds and a couple days later at Carter. Only really realized it when she gave a small performance for us. Not something I normally inquire about, although it does often seem to come up if you walk with someone for long enough.
    KBO, Ducky

Images

Although I met him in the trail town of Manchester VT where he makes his home, Jonathan Goldsmith is "The Most Interesting Man in the World" at least according to Dos Equis.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I hear the governor of South Carolina hikes the AT ;-)

I meet a former Lt Gov of Virgina at Lost Mt shelter, the one just north of Damascus. Some very interesting people from all walks of life can be found on the AT. People you would never, ever have met in your "normal" day to day life. One of the things which makes the AT interesting.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Some very interesting people from all walks of life can be found on the AT. People you would never, ever have met in your "normal" day to day life. One of the things which makes the AT interesting.
    I often thought on the trail, while talking with someone, "Neither one of us you have chosen to chat in the 'real world'. The wall would have been too high". Those walls do not exist on the trail.

I'm gonna meet Dakota Joe when he starts his hike. That'll be my claim to fame.

I've talked to both Hulk Hogan and Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld) in the Atlanta airport. But neither one of them has Dakota Joes hiking resume.

I also met and talked to Ed Garvey at 3 Forks (mm 4 in GA) on the first day of his last thru hike attempt.

And of course Jack but everybody has run into Jack at some point.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    + here too.

When Ive hiked with some folks for a while, I may inquire what they do. Or inquiry about a trail name may lead to it. But , reajust making small talk to pass time, really dont care. If the conversation goes there OK, but I dont fish. In some ways, I dont want to know. Im pretty vague usually myself if asked. I just dont think it should be important.

The trail is a great equalizer. Young and old, wealthy and poor, men and women, can meet, chat, eat, hike, and sleep next to each other. People that wouldnt speak to the other in everyday life, can be quick friends on the trail. I am constantly amazed.

Ive always said that people should be more like dogs. A dog meets you, sniffs you, and in 5 minutes your the best friend he ever had.
    The trail is as close to that in real life as you can get.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-03-2013 at 23:04.

Images

Met Thurston Griggs on the trail back in October 2005
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    + here too.

When Ive hiked with some folks for a while, I may inquire what they do. Or inquiry about a trail name may lead to it. But , reajust making small talk to pass time, really dont care. If the conversation goes there OK, but I dont fish. In some ways, I dont want to know. Im pretty vague usually myself if asked. I just dont think it should be important.

The trail is a great equalizer. Young and old, wealthy and poor, men and women, can meet, chat, eat, hike, and sleep next to each other. People that wouldnt speak to the other in everyday life, can be quick friends on the trail. I am constantly amazed.

Ive always said that people should be more like dogs. A dog meets you, sniffs you, and in 5 minutes your the best friend he ever had.
    The trail is as close to that in real life as you can get.
    + here again. EXCEPT ... "inquiring minds" want to know as much as one will share. I find people interesting and I LOVE to hear "their story". Everyone has a story you know! Every person's story is interesting & no less important than anyone else.

Images

sometimes, in fact most times, people want to remain anonymous.the actor i had met at the hut was almost embarrassed by his notoriety.

I thought i saw Uncle Si on the trail, but it was just a mirror.

I met two rocket scientists once around Woody Gap. They were the real thing: had ID's from Huntsville, we're engineers who'd helped launch several spacecraft. It was a fascinating conversation. They'd carried very, very heavy packs from Amicolola and since it had rained for days, all their gear was wet, so they were miserable.

They snored so loud, they could have drowned out a rocket launch!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I'm gonna meet Dakota Joe when he starts his hike. That'll be my claim to fame.

I've talked to both Hulk Hogan and Wayne Knight (Newman from Seinfeld) in the Atlanta airport. But neither one of them has Dakota Joes hiking resume.

I also met and talked to Ed Garvey at 3 Forks (mm 4 in GA) on the first day of his last thru hike attempt.

And of course Jack but everybody has run into Jack at some point.
    I met him for dinner in Woodstock on Monday. He's a interesting guy, nothing like what I expected, but then again I didn't call him Chad...
    RIAP

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++