WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Why McDonalds?

Images

I do love the insistence of so many folks that they'd never go to McDonald's. It's like playing with yourself, you either do it or lie about doing it.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 02-04-2014 at 12:07.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by susiecruise View Post
    So I can appreciate craving some french fries and possible a mostly meatless McD burger, but why whnever I pick up thru hikers, they ALWAYS want to go to McDonalds? We have so many good places to get a real burger and fresh vegetables and I'll offer to take them whereever but most are set on McDonalds, which by the way s not conviently located near the AT.
    So what I now understand, since I have never through hiked, is that McD's is a safe bet cuz it's cheap, predictable, has a decent bathroom,and you don't have to worry about being dirty and stinky. Still, I am amazed at the strong hold McD's has on many to most hiker's food cravings. Still, I will always offer other suggestions ( considering price and hospitality) when driving hikers to town. And still, I will take them wherever they want even if it's Mcd's, out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    McDonalds Sucks. I'd walk 10 extra miles before eating at one.
    Two weeks on the trail and you'd eat the north end of a south bound skunk and call it a Big Mac. I became a fan of many things I didn't like after I got hungry enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but when I buy a meal at McDonalds (very rare), I end up paying $6-7, same as I would someplace like Chick-fil-a which IMO offers a far better product.
    But if you go to Chick-fil-a, you will get far fewer calories per dollar (if they are even open (I'm convinced this never happens)). For $7 at Chick-fil-a, you get a sandwich and some fries. Maybe 2 sandwiches. At McD's, you get 6 sandwiches. There's a reason Little Debbie is the patron saint of resupplies.

But, for the record, I don't think I ever ate at McD's on my thru. Stuff gives me a headache and a fever every time I eat it.

Images

So what I now understand, since I have never through hiked, is that McD's is a safe bet cuz it's cheap, predictable, has a decent bathroom,and you don't have to worry about being dirty and stinky. Still, I am amazed at the strong hold McD's has on many to most hiker's food cravings. Still, I will always offer other suggestions ( considering price and hospitality) when driving hikers to town. And still, I will take them wherever they want even if it's Mcd's, out of the way
    I think we've gleaned this topic well enough. Thanks to all who contributed and endured

Default Preserves well

So I can appreciate craving some french fries and possible a mostly meatless McD burger, but why whnever I pick up thru hikers, they ALWAYS want to go to McDonalds? We have so many good places to get a real burger and fresh vegetables and I'll offer to take them whereever but most are set on McDonalds, which by the way s not conviently located near the AT.
    Anything you can leave on the counter for days and it still looks edible, can be packed for a later meal, hours or days, or kill you along the way!

Back in high school, had friend who worked at McDs - we all used to go there just to pester him (and have some fries). After graduation he was promoted to manager while we all went off to college to insure our success in life. Few year later, he was promoted to regional manager or something - poor guy, he had reached the top - dead ended at 21. Today at 33, he owns 5 McDs and is now building his 6th.

BTW, I still like the fries.

Quote Originally Posted by likeahike View Post
    Few year later, he was promoted to regional manager or something - poor guy, he had reached the top - dead ended at 21. Today at 33, he owns 5 McDs and is now building his 6th.
    I too know a few people who started as part timers and went to the top while others were still switching college majors. Can't say many positive things about McD's, but they seem to take care of employees that stick around.

6 McD's franchises... Will never have to work again!

I don't eat fast food so McDonalds was not a craving I had. However, those little BK cinnamon rolls - couldn't get enough of them.

Chris Horner had a Big Mac Attack (Video) http://www.bicycling.com/video/horne..._-horner_happy

In addition to being cheap, familiar and a place to charge your electronics, it could be that said thru hikers could have just heard about the McGangBang(forget what it is - didn't try it) that can be created from the dollar menu. Find someone who hasn't had it yet and hikers will go in to town together to have it together.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

I like to pick up 6 $1 cheeseburgers before a hike.... then for $6 I not only have all the food I need for the day, But I have the calories... for only $6
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Fast food free 5+ years and very,very little processed food also...would rather just go to the grocers and get some fresh fruits,and veg.

Journal Entries
    Images

I work in Lee, Ma. sometimes thru hikers stay here. I do 11pm-8am so non of them are up for the offered free ride to the trailhead in the AM.... The dollar menu, the spoons they hijack from our Superstarter breakfast.

As my now 24-year-old, grown, married, Master's seeking son will tell me, "Mom, I love your cooking, but sometimes I just NNNEEEEEEDDD Mickey D's."

I'd like to think some of that has to do with all the times we would be travelling, camping, and whenever we came out of the woods, he would always want a happy meal. Good memories, those, even though the food wasn't stellar.

Would be interested in poll results of thru-hikers preference for McDonalds between two groups: those that eat it regularly before their thru and those that never or rarely ever ate there.

Unfortunately I can't say that I avoid fast food entirely...
    I can say that even during my thru-hike attempts I never chose McDonalds if their were better options available.

Where else can you get a !,000+ calorie breakfast for $5?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Where else can you get a !,000+ calorie breakfast for $5?
    Easy.......

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Here's the answer:
    We need to go to McD's for the bathrooms. We call them "McBathroom". The bathrooms are reasonably clean and we can take care of business and wash up without any problems.
    McD's food? Not so much.

Here's a good article and kind of funny -- because it's true http://www.realclearscience.com/blog...y_natural.html

Excerpt:

"Humans are perhaps the ultimate omnivores. We evolved to eat whatever is around, be it plant, animal, or burger. Before the rise of agriculture roughly 10,000 years ago, our ancestors were predominantly hunter-gatherers. Spread far across the globe, their diets matched their surroundings. For examples, we can look to modern hunter-gatherers. 95% of the Inuit's diet is comprised of meat and fish. The Kung! of southern Africa eat mostly seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Farther north, the Hadza predominantly consume meat, fish, and roots.

There is no specific "natural" human diet, evolutionary biologist Marlene Zuk wrote in 2009. What's "natural" for us is to eat whatever we can. Over time, our bodies may adapt to take advantage.

"Take dairy products, one of the classic modern foods we supposedly aren’t meant to eat. Most people who can’t tolerate them lack a gene that confers the ability to break down lactose, the sugar in milk, after the age of weaning. Our Stone Age ancestors couldn’t digest milk as adults either, but a recent study shows that about 5,000 years ago, mutations that keep that gene switched on spread throughout Northern Europe. That’s also when cattle began to be domesticated; being able to drink milk as well as lower-lactose cheese would have been advantageous as a source of nutrition and fluids."

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
++ New Posts ++