Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking in leggings

I wondered if anyone has had any experience hiking in leggings? I don't have any very high quality ones, but I do have a big bootie, so I wondered if trying to hike in a pair would just result in having to stop to pull them up all the time like regular leggings?

Can you recommend any specific brands or styles that might avert the problem? I'm really interested in merino wool to avert the stink factor on looong hikes.

kt.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

My wife has used Smartwool brand lightweight merino leggings for hiking in very cold weather and sleeping at night when temps dip lower than the regular comfort factor of our 2-person quilt. I have used them as well. She hasn't had any problems with the elastic letting go and we've hiked about 500 miles them. Her's look perfect.

I on the other hand have had trouble with the crotch tearing at the seam, especially near the seat of my pants. I have the feeling this is due to slips and falls where I stretch my legs far to catch myself. I've noticed the same problem on my Tyvek snowpants so I don't specifically blame Smartwool. They are, after all, lightweight merino leggings. That said, the leggings still wear fine despite having, um, extra ventilation. Now that I'm done hiking for the season, I'll grab my sewing machine and stitch the biggest holes closed.

In both our cases we haven't had much problem at all with them sliding down.

Hope that helps!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I second Smartwool leggings, but I had another lighter wicking pair as well. I tried to hike with the lighter ones and sleep in the wool ones, but on a couple of cold days, I just hiked in the Smartwool and slept in my fleece pants. No problems with them sliding down either - didn't try to for the smallest pair, either.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Wear them all the time in the summer. I just use regular spandex yoga/running leggings.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I wear the super light weight silky thermal "leggings" all the time. They are tights around my ankles and help keep the ticks off. in Summer months I'll throw a pair off hiking shorts over them. <3 em!

I've been using a pair of wool tights from Rivendell Bicycles for close to 10 years: http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ab4.htm
    I've done some hiking in them, lots of biking, some ice skating, and lots of sleeping/camping. They have a little piling after this many years but otherwise are still going strong. I, too, have a big bootie, but since these are higher waisted and designed for a slightly looser fit than other tights, I really don't ever have to tug on them to get them to stay in the right place. If something ever happened to them, I'd definitely buy them again.

My bum got noticeably cold this morning on my morning paper root. I made a pair of fleece shorts out of an extra pair of fleece pants I had. I like to wear the fleece shorts in winter over a pair of long wool underwear or fleece tights. The fleece shorts are baggier. I only like my innermost layer to be close fitting, and even then it should only just cling. Of course there is always the possibility I might grow a little now and then, here or there, so it is sometimes snugger than necessary. :-)

I noticed Campmor caries a brand of wool leggings and tops that are 1/2 the price of Smartwool. Do you have any experience with them ?

Images

Running tights, winter and summer, are nice and stretchy--as comfortable as leggings.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Are you talking about the Terramar Thermawool line? I'm taking a hard look at them myself. They look pretty nice! I may give them a shot.

I've used Zensah shin compression sleeves while hiking(running) mainly for shin splints. They stay up(don't fall down), provide some warmth(but do breathe well although I wouldn't want to wear then on the hottest most humid thru-hikes), come in asst colors, and help keep you shins(calves) from getting chewed up. They have styles that go over the knee as well.

http://www.compressionsport.com/Zens...eeve-6045.html

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I noticed Campmor caries a brand of wool leggings and tops that are 1/2 the price of Smartwool. Do you have any experience with them ?
    I have purchased several pair of the ColdProof Brand - 60 % cotton sets. I believe that I gave around $12 - $15 ea.
    when they were on sell. They are great for the price.

I hike in a kilt year-round, so use leggings once the weather turns chillier. I like Smartwool medium weight for my wool leggings, and use polartec power stretch from Eastern Mountain Sports sometimes when I need a wind barrier as well. I use knee high gaitors to keep my lower legs warm and dry.

Last month I backpacked McAfee Knob and Dragon's Tooth. The temps were in the 30's with wind. I found I didn't need leggings during the day if I used cheapo leg warmers on my thighs above my gaitors.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Journal Entries

I like the under armour compression leggings for cold weather hiking. They're sturdy, and they cut back on the chaffing of the inner thighs rubbing together. If I'm in a thru-hiker bubble, I'll throw a skirt over them, due to the 99:1 guy:girl ratio on the trail. It's probably just in my head, but I feel like I get less stares that way.

I'm using my Asics thermopolis running tights to hike in. Ditto above. I'll wear a skirt over them. I love them to run and hike in! very warm and comfortable.

Lightweight smartwool will rip if you look at it too hard. I'd never trust a pair to hike in!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    Lightweight smartwool will rip if you look at it too hard. I'd never trust a pair to hike in!
    Maybe you're just too fit and swoll? Haha. Calm down, Arnold....

On topic: I'm totally going to get a pair of hiking tights. Sounds perfect for tic prevention and sun protection.

Ive been hiking in my midweight smartwool for a couple years, and sleeping in them, too. So far no rips, so I'm hopeful they will bold up longer. Granted, I dont wear them all day; just when it's chilly. Sometimes I wear them in the morning and take them off when it starts warming up.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

my girlfriend thru hiked the AT in 2012. Trail name Purple Rain. She started out with convertible pants from Rei. Those lasted about 100 miles. Soon moved to a running shorts/ icebreaker legging combo. Finished the hike out in a combo of this. She was frustrated by the combo for many reasons.
    She spent the winter after her hike designing a hiking skirt which we took on the PCT last summer, hiking the oregon section. The skirt uses a yoga style waistband so there are no buttons or other awkward fasteners that apply pressure with a backpacks waist belt. The skirts have pockets which allow for easy access to phone and map/guidebook pages. Easy to layer with leggings (I.e. You don't have to take off your shorts to remove leggings when getting hot. Airflow is huge she says. Also, she can stop, squat, and pee with little effort. She just started selling them on etsy and locally here in portland. Here's a link to her site for all you awesome female thrus: http://etsy.com/shop/purplerainskirts

Those are super cute! I love the pocket and the yoga band!
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++