Default Solo summer hiker

Greetings fellow hiking ladies!

I'm new to white blaze and super excited about the fun hiking community it appears to offer! This is my first forum post.. Please play nice if I ask dumb questions

After this upcoming spring semester is finished (early May) I'm planning to close out my junior year of college with a NOBO hike on the AT. I realize it will be summer.. I'll be starting much later than most... And I'm not expecting to thru hike by any means... I'm simply hoping to spend my summer adventuring on the AT I'll go as far as I can and pick back up next summer..

My only goal is to enjoy myself, clear my mind, take lots of pictures, and remove myself from the city buzz and college stress. I have some experience hiking and camping, but I've never done anything quite like this! I realize it's quite an undertaking... But I feel as though I could burst with excitement for this journey. I'm looking for tips, secrets, or any lovely trail knowledge that you all have to offer! I'm an outdoorsy girl in general, preparing to hike fairly light.

Im also looking for a possible companion... My wonderful family and boyfriend don't quite share the urge to GET OUT AND HIKE! My father will start with me, but he isn't sure how far he will go. I hope to cover a good amount of ground, but I'm not running a marathon.. I'd love someone to pass the time with.. and just a girl I know will have my back, as I have hers.. We could hike together or a day or two apart.. I'd just enjoy some companionship while on the trail. It's been hard to find anyone beginning in the summer..

Can wait to make some friends on this lovely site (:
    Didge

Section Hiker

Hi, Digeridoo! Welcome to White Blaze! There are no dumb questions, you can learn a lot here, but try to search for what your looking for before posting a new question. Also, read some books other hikers have written about their experiences, watch some of their videos on YouTube. I will be in GA and maybe southern NC either in early May or early June, I won't know for a couple months probably. Let me know when you plan to start and where, I can at least look for you in the registers! Happy hiking!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I started may 18th in 2012 you will have a lot of college kids starting around the same time I'm sure you will find some friends no problem. Starting in may you can still thru no problem. You have 5.5 months till Baxter closes.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

I feel like I've watched every AT vid I could find on YouTube. :P And currently checking out some books on ultralight hiking and experiences of other hikers.
    exciting (:

Thanks toon! That's encouraging!

Hi Didge! I'm also from NC, just left Appalachian State! I'm planning on hiking the AT this summer as well, although I'm hoping to leave around April 1st, so maybe we'll cross paths at some point!

Awesome! I'm sure we will!

My plan is to do a section hike in May in Georgia. Perhaps we can walk together.

Of course, you don't have to start at Springer. You could jump ahead a bit to say Erwin, TN which would put you at the tail end of the main hiker pack. You'd also stand a better chance of seeing the spring wild flowers and flowering bushes/trees along the way then if you started at Springer the middle or end of May.

The only down side to this is people you meet will already have 400 miles under thier feet so your not going to keep up with them for a while. But there will be more coming up behind you and you'll soon be pounding out the miles with the best of them.

BTW, if you have questions which aren't gender specific, the general or other forums might be a better place to ask them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hi Didge, I'll be starting around May 20th for a solo thru hike. Maybe I'll see you and your farther on the trail.

Images

Welcome to another woman hiker! Maybe you will see me in June/July, when I'll be walking from Bear Mtn. in NY to Vermont (God willing).

One tiny point about the ultra-light thing - if you haven't had a lot of experience with long distance hiking, take some of that with a big grain of salt. I understand that it's important not to struggle horribly with unnecessary weight (and ultra-lighters can be very persuasive), but especially if you haven't been out there for weeks at a time before, you'll want to have some degree of conservatism about what you bring. You can always get rid of stuff along the way, but going out with (for instance) what turns out to be inadequate shelter, or a too-light sleeping bag, or no rain gear or first aid supplies, could have a pretty negative impact on your first big hike. I myself have toggled back and forth many times, between bringing "too much" and "not enough" ... it's a balance and I think it's better to err on the side of bringing the things you feel will be essential for safety.

Have a great time and maybe I'll see you! My trail name is Sylvester!

Jane in CT

Hi Didge!

My name is Lysie and I'm graduating college this year from Ohio State. I'm tentitively hiking the AT NOBO after gradutation in the first week of May. I don't have anyone to hike with and saw your post! Your family sounds similar to mine. I've been hiking in Kentucky/TN since before I can remember but no one else that I know has THE URGE to hike the AT like I do. I'm very outdoorsy and since high school have gotten really into rock climbing. I'm also a certified WFR! My dad would like to do it but can't get away from work, and I don't want that to stop me. I would love to chat more about possibly starting/hiking together! (Not sure I want to go into this completely alone, and you sound like you have the same mindset.)

Talk to you soon!
    Lysie

++ New Posts ++