WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well pretty sure I was in the same Army Division as MasterBlaster 73-76' Grew up in Ma. Dad grew up in the Pacos.
    Found WhiteBlaze in June 2011. Found the AT in the late 60's. Support the AT. But am more of a Long Trail GMC person
    Would not even venture a guess at how many bag nights or hiking miles. Have gone years when I even lost interest in hiking.
    When I went from Springer to Front Royal in 78 my friends gave me the nick name Tunnel Rat. But usually just used my name.
    The Lemon was coined by my oldest when he got wind of the trailname concept in maybe 2000. The only AT Thru hikers guide I have is dated 2001. I do get a data book every couple years. Switched to internal frame pack maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
    Hiking like many thing has become very commercial. Gore-Tex to me was huge. One hiking pole was also a huge change for me. WA
    I love the beauty of hiking and have always been the loner type. Mother nature has way with dealing with big egos.
    Like to think I have a big heart.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Welcome to Whiteblaze JumpMaster Blaster (cool name). Love what you shared with us! That will be an exciting day when you step foot on the AT for the first time! That's fun!! :>)
    Hikermom, I may have left out a little tidbit about some of my on-duty escapades, which lends to my moniker. Something about jumping out of military aircraft and whatnot....anyway, I will be taking suggestions for a trail name pretty soon. I wanted to wait until the weather broke in NC or VA, but I may hop on a quick 2-3 day AT hike for Easter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Well pretty sure I was in the same Army Division as MasterBlaster 73-76' Grew up in Ma. Dad grew up in the Pacos.
    Found WhiteBlaze in June 2011. Found the AT in the late 60's. Support the AT. But am more of a Long Trail GMC person
    Would not even venture a guess at how many bag nights or hiking miles. Have gone years when I even lost interest in hiking.
    When I went from Springer to Front Royal in 78 my friends gave me the nick name Tunnel Rat. But usually just used my name.
    The Lemon was coined by my oldest when he got wind of the trailname concept in maybe 2000. The only AT Thru hikers guide I have is dated 2001. I do get a data book every couple years. Switched to internal frame pack maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
    Hiking like many thing has become very commercial. Gore-Tex to me was huge. One hiking pole was also a huge change for me. WA
    I love the beauty of hiking and have always been the loner type. Mother nature has way with dealing with big egos.
    Like to think I have a big heart.
    Welcome! I spent 5 years in that Division. Managed to get assigned to every major unit here since not many IT folks want to parachute from planes, lol!

^^^^^^^^^^^

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Journal Entries
    Images

Hikermom58 and Deer hunter,
    I should be starting Saturday April 19th from Mt. Rogers area in Grayson highlands park. I did a 13 mile day with pack a few days ago and was fine hiking but sore later. So I'm not making any specific plan just going to go day by day and see how I feel. Let me know how to get in touch with you, I don't carry a phone and I dropped out of technology after Atari and Nintendo. I'm sure I can borrow a phone on the trail to let you know when I'm getting close to Daleville.
    ​ " I like things that cain't break, like escalators, they jus become stairs... .. ."

Quote Originally Posted by warld piece View Post
    Hikermom58 and Deer hunter,
    I should be starting Saturday April 19th from Mt. Rogers area in Grayson highlands park. I did a 13 mile day with pack a few days ago and was fine hiking but sore later. So I'm not making any specific plan just going to go day by day and see how I feel. Let me know how to get in touch with you, I don't carry a phone and I dropped out of technology after Atari and Nintendo. I'm sure I can borrow a phone on the trail to let you know when I'm getting close to Daleville.
    Okay warld piece, I'll PM you my cell #... I'm not going to be around here the last few weeks in May. I'll be hiking!

Happy Hiking!

Hi all, I'm a new member in Traverse City, Michigan. I'm looking forward to seeing at least part of the AT for the first time) this May/June. I've always been more of a bicycle tourist, but trying out backpacking with my nearly 16 year old son. We love hiking and camping, this will just be an extended combination of the 2 for once. We'll see.

Im maps. From TN, section hiker ona 7 year plan. since october I have hiked 175 miles of the AT, but have hiked 1300 miles in the past 4-5 years on section/ weekend trips. I have completed TN, and MD and am working towards completing the nc/tn border section, nc section and the rest of the smokies this year. as well as using my vacation to hike GA in the fall. So hopefully after 2014 I will have completed the first 500 miles of the trail which for a weekender I feel is pretty quick timing. Now that I think about it i think i will start a thread in general on this subject of sectioning the trail.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm redbeerd. My beard is red. I like to play in the woods and I'm a gearaholic.

Hi All, Shipfixer here. Been section hiking for a little or a year now. wish I could get out more often. Finished New Jersey last year and I'm working on "Rocksylvannia" this year. Hope to thru someday.... never say never!
    Great website, constantly learning, appreciate all your help.

I'm Francis Sawyer. I am counting down to my thru-hike. 7 yrs 7 months left. I didn't do the hike when I was young and had the time so now I have to wait till I retire. I've been lurking for about a year and decided to join !

Hi Y'all im from miami and have recently discovered hiking ,my goals for this year are to hike the AT virginia sections both in August then later in December .Ive been doing alot of day hikes here in florida and plan on doing alot of overnighters/weekend hikes. glad i discovered hiking its nice to get off the grid every once in a while

I've hiked most of the AT in sections, missing the parts in PA, NJ, NY. Did the southernmost 600 miles in Spring of '90, and that's when I was given my trail name. If I can save up the cash, I want to try for a NoBo through hike in 2016 or 2017. For now, it's just day hikes in the North Cascades.

Shakes
    Shakes

Hi!

I am 38, and have recently found an interest in backpacking. I was in scouts when I was a kid (star was the highest rank I achieved) and since have done a fair amount outdoors - but that slowed down some when I started having kids. They're 15, 11 and 10 now.

We we have always liked camping and recently started hunting some. Truth be told, my interest in backpacking came down a path that seems a bit quirky to be, but nonetheless here I am. A friend of mine told me about his "bug out bag", so I did my research. It was interesting and all, but I thought to myself "how can I come up with a practical application of all of this and teach my kids to be safe in the wild?" Well, it didn't take me long to find an interest in the AT.

So I decided that our summer vacation this year will be a few days on the trail and some time in towns surrounding learning about the area and history.

I have decided to hike Newfound gap to Davenport gap, with a detour to Clingman's Dome the first day. (Unless of course someone has a better suggestion?) we will either spend time in Gatlinburg or Asheville after we hike.

I began buying equipment piece by piece but haven't gotten far (thankfully). I bought a couple of cheap packs off of eBay and a couple of sleeping bags and a tent. As a father of 3 there is no chance that I can afford all the best equipment right off the bat, so I am hoping to upgrade as time goes on.

Basically, I am a complete newbie zero experience taking my kids on a 35 mile hike.... Wow, now that I say it that way it seems a bit crazy lol

I feel confident that I can prepare myself properly and be fine - which is what brings me here.

I am am hoping to find the guidance here that I seek so that when we take to the trail we will have a good time and come out of it better than we went in.

All of that being said, there are some points of preparedness that I am looking to learn more about.

Temperature/clothing for a July or august hike in the northern smokies
    how much food to take
    what pieces of equipment I should skimp least on
    am I crazy to even try this

a few links to pertinent articles is what I am looking for because I am sure these points have been addressed before somewhere but I can't seem to find them yet

lastly, I have been a part of forums before and realize that I don't yet have much to contribute. I promise to leave the forum Better than I found it by taking part in conversation as I learn and grow as a hiker. But I do apologize having to come here and be a taker of information initially. It won't stay that way promise.

Thanks for for reading and most importantly, thank you for your patience!

Derek

Hey everyone. I've been backpacking for years, mostly 2 and 3 day weekends with a couple week long trips over the years. I logged some AT miles in PA and MD when I was in high school, moved to SC after school. I have a lot of trail options within an hour from home so that works good for weekend trips. Takes 2-3 hours to get to the AT in GA and NC. Over the last few years, my interest has been all AT, cant get it out of my head. I've done everything up to Stecoah Gap so far, hope to be past the Smokies this year. After that, it will likely be catching some of the more popular sections and not worry about every step of the trail in between(for now). I get on Whiteblaze every once in a while to read and do research, finally decided to register and say hello.

Howdy, y'all. I'm new to the backpacking world, but I love day hiking and being in the woods. I'm mostly a lurker because I don't have anything meaningful to add to the conversation (yet.) I'm planning a thru hike for 2015 and reading up on everything I can to better prepare myself for that long walk/climb/crawl/slide/y'all get the gist.
    "Never quit in town; never quit going uphill; never quit in the rain."

Hello!!!

I'm new to long distance hiking but super excited to hike the AT(hopefully a thru or halfway hike in 2015)! I love challenges, natural living and the great outdoors!! For now I'm just obsessing and gauging how I'd need to prepare for this hike!
    Otherwise I'm an NVC(Nonviolent Communication) enthusiast, a sister to many, a dreamer, a little poetic, a little crafty and sometimes a little confused..
    Can't wait to get to know people!!!
    WaxQueen

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For all the recent Newbies or New-to-posting-bies: HikerMom has requested that in her absence I forward the welcomes, so you'll have to deal with my less-friendly greeting for now, and she'll likely catch up with each of you in the future. So here goes:

bighammer, Gambit McCrea, Red Beerd, Shipfixer, Francis Sawyer, DatFLhiker, Shakespeare 1990. Surfbumdj, scamper, almostfaded and WaxQueen:

Welcome to WhiteBlaze and we hope to see you posting and having fun soon. There are lots of friends to be made here and loads of information to glean. We hope it proves and rewarding and enjoyable as it has for us! Again, welcome! ....and HikerMom sends her best
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Thanks!!! I'm definitely a newbie to long distance hiking, but learning soooo much already!! Glad to be here!
    WaxQueen

Hey HikerMom58, time for an update

218 Whiteblazer's have posted on this thread as of 6/5/14. Trail names starting with "S" are the most frequent with 30 names. U, V, X, and Y sneaked in with 1 each. There are no trail names starting with Q and Z. Wow Q and Z must be pretty bad.

And yes I am really bored today. hee hee hee Rolls

12TH Man, 2 Trail Hikers,2014flipper, 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker, 2ndCharter, 2NewKnees, 4shot, 58starter,88BlueGT, Abatis1948, adamjunzler, aficion, AkaMirage, Almost There,almostfaded, Andy P, AngelEyez, Angle, Astro, ATHopeful2018, bamboobob, beaud,Berserker, bighammer, Blacksmith, BrainLe, briangreunke, BuckeyeBill,burningrabbit, Buzzy84, Calebj, capehiker, Carlz993, Carryon, ChinMusic,ChristieBelle, Cookerhiker, Corajb, crispy2104, Cro-Mag, Daicy, daimonpaul,darkbyrd, DatFLhiker, DatWolf, Dawkins Leffel, DeerHunter, DevinHarvey,Dinendir, DinMecca, Docmahns, drifter, Drybones, DugK, EnglishStu, erieite,Ewok11, FelilxS13, Feral Bill, fins1838, Fishone, FooFighter'12, Foresight,Francis Sawyer, Furlough, futureatwalker, Gambit McCrae, geomaniac,gETSoutothewild, GirlfromoZ, gof, Goji, Grampie, GreyGhost, grumps, Gus9890,Gwilli, handlebar, Hang R, HarderthanNails, he.who.forgets, Heeler59,hikerboy57, HikerMom58, homelesswook, Honuben, illabelle, importman77,imscotty, ITri, Jagger, jfarrell04, jimmyjam, johnnybgood, Julio, JumpMasterBlaster, K_Squared, kayakkarl, Kc Fiedler, Ken.davidson, Kerosenehat, Kerrkid,Kevin B, Kitfox man, Kolo, Koozy, ladytrekker, lemon b, likeahike, LittleRock,Lucy Lulu, macdaddy, Mags, ManyMoons, marylandmymaryland, Matthew82, Matthikes,McFly, mcgrabo, mdschill, MDSection12, Meriadox, Merrell, Miked, mikeunger,minda, Mockingjay, MoonstruckRed, Murphy7, NCn8chrgrrl, nitewalker, Noneyet,norts, nymeria, Nyte, Oak88, OCDave, Odd Man Out, Okie Dokie, OldEagle, PapaD, ParkieMan, PChang, PhoenixFirebird, prain4u, Prime Time, psyenz, psyon27, rangeley,RedBeerd , Renfeild, RinoaPops, RN-PCT2015, Robin2013AT, RockDoc, RollsKanardly, Roughthis, Sacchoromyces, Sanna, Sarcasmtheelf, sasquatchinlaw,SawnieRobertson, sccamper, SCShooter1983, Seatbelt, Shakespeare 1990, shelb,Shipfixer, Shutterbug, Sierra2015, skinnbones, SkraM, slbirdnerd, smithjv, SnailRacer, soul patch, sparkygeek, Spatchka, Spirit Bear, squeezebox, StovieWander,Stronger, Studlintsean, stupid adage, SubieLove, Sugarfoot, sureaboutthis,Surfbumdj, tawa., Teacher & Snacktime, Tharwood, TheRob, Tinker, TLHiker,Toon, Traffic Jam, Trail Otter, Trainguy, Trebor66, Treehuggerva, tsgosnell,Tuckahoe64, ugggggggh, ValleyGirl, Waitin4mytrlname, warld piece, Waterbuffalo,WaxQueen, wcgornto, whiskeystick, whisperwalking, WildBlue, windels11,wookinpanub, wrenagain, wtrenda, xokie, Yankytyke
    Last edited by Rolls Kanardly; 06-06-2014 at 13:45.
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
++ New Posts ++