WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thanks, lemon b.
    Just did 10 miles!!!! with kid from Wood's Hole to Pearisburg. My unprepared legs were rubber by the end, but loved Wood's Hole and I'm helping with some logistics nearby for a couple of days. Never would have had that adventure without the Kid's prompting. And yes, I'm hearing about some trail angels who help lots along the way.
    Whether the kid just goes as far as she can this season, which might not be Katahdin, it's been a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by akrewson View Post
    Thanks, lemon b.
    Just did 10 miles!!!! with kid from Wood's Hole to Pearisburg. My unprepared legs were rubber by the end, but loved Wood's Hole and I'm helping with some logistics nearby for a couple of days. Never would have had that adventure without the Kid's prompting. And yes, I'm hearing about some trail angels who help lots along the way.
    Whether the kid just goes as far as she can this season, which might not be Katahdin, it's been a great experience.
    I live close to the trail. I would be glad to help her/you out in any way that I can. I can pm you my number and you can pass it on to her if you want to. Glad you got to join her for some hiking.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Hi, Root66 here and my wife Mickey. I am 66 and she is 47. We are campers and stayed in the Smokey's last year. We hiked up from the parking lot to Charlie's Bunion and back....the bug has hit us. We plan to hike our first section of the AT from Springer to North Carolina next summer probably in August.

We are gathering gear and hiking with 20 pounds packs around our neighborhood and training the rest of this summer. We will be hiking parts the Superior Hiking and Kekebabic Trails, part of the North Country Trail, this August. Also looking at parts of the Ice Age Trail in September and possibly some of the Ozark Trail in October.

But our main goal is to section hike the AT as many years as we can. I would be in my 80's if we did the entire trail. Thanks for the great information, experiences and advice from everyone here!

Root66 & Mickey

Thanks, Deer Hunter. Sure, emergency numbers are always good. There's a loose group behind the big bubble still coming through your part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by akrewson View Post
    Thanks, Deer Hunter. Sure, emergency numbers are always good. There's a loose group behind the big bubble still coming through your part of the world.
    Yes, the number of hikers coming through here has slowed down. There were a pretty decent number in SNP last Friday.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Images

I am Linus72, trailname Linus. I hiked the northern half of the AT in Connecticut where I'm from as a Boy Scout, many moons ago. I also did the Presidentials, Cannon and Lafayette while at summer camp in New Hampshire as a teen. That is where my love for the trails was born. I lost touch of it for a while save for an occasional overnight in college, again on the CT AT or the local nature preserve trails with my kids when they were young. About a year ago I decided to do a meetup and try some of the Mattabesset Trail to get some excercise and nature. Everything changed. All of that love for the hiking and trails came flooding back. My home state has over 800 miles of trails maintained by the Forest and Park association in addition to the 52 miles of AT through the state. The Mattabesset and Metacomet make up part of the New England Scenic Trail and there's probably 50 other trails in their amazing walk books which I try to explore weekly when possible. Beautiful trap rock ridges line the mtns in the center of the state and have given me new appreciation for the beauty of my home state. Since that first hike last year, I logged an additional 45 miles including about 10 of the New York and CT AT, more Blue blazed CFPA trails, Ward Pound ridge in NY (on my quest to check out as many Leatherman caves as I can) and Monument Mtn in Massachussetts. This year I'm already far past that and am working my way backpacking through the entire CT AT with my wife, and then on to other states. We've been meeting some great thru-hikers and ATC trail runners and learning a lot from them as well. Sometimes I feel more at home on the trail than I do in the civilized world! Nice to meet everyone. See you on the trails.

Hi HikerMom. I'm new to this site. I haven't done any serious walking in over 10 years but I've been getting back into it slowly over the last month or so. This site has been fantastic at offering tips on fitness etc. I live in Ireland but have relatives in the States who hike... They asked me to join them for the vermont section of AT this summer.... Unfortunately I can't make it as I'll be hiking in Ireland for 3 weekends, England for 1 week and Spain for another week in December... I sure would love to do some of the AT at some stage in my life as it looks and sounds wonderful... If any of you want any ideas if you're planning hiking in Ireland just contact me and I'll find out what I can for you Hoping to make some fellow walker friends who understand the spirit of adventure

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hello Root66, Linus72 and Mirken,

Welcome everybody to WhiteBlaze. HikerMom has left the site, but it's nice for the rest of us to learn about the new folk reading and posting here! We hope all your AT and WB adventures are fun ones.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

I'm M. J. Green. I don't have a trail name yet but most people end up calling my Mr. Green or Matty Cakes. I've always loved being close to nature and fining peace in solitude. I've been collecting gear and saving money for a while now and I plan on leaving my job in 2015 or 2016 depending on future circumstance. I'll be traveling with a Gregory Contour 60 and a MSR Nook (might have a companion and if not, I like the extra space). Training up right now in the beautiful Arkansas wilderness. I have famly in Tenn/GA to stay with and transport me to Springer and then my adventure begins. I'm leaving my job as a microbiologist to live the life that I've always dreamed of. After the AT, I might decide to yo-yo or I might take a train to the West Coast for the winter. Then, I plan on hiking the PCT before heading to Hawaii to see some spiritual brethren and take a few weeks to rest. My goal is to see as much as this world has to offer as I can. I'm also a seeker of strength and peace and hope to fulfill my maximum potential in this life. I look forward to meeting those whose destiny crosses paths with mine.

Green, M. J.

a.k.a. - "Jethro Tull" on the AT Vibes Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    There's a lot of new user names popping up on Whiteblaze lately. It's nice to know who's who and newbies (and lurkers) to the site.

I'll start- I'm HikerMom. I've been an active member for a little over a year. I like meeting new people. I have many friends on this site. I hope to make many more.

I live near the trail crossing in Daleville VA.

I've never added up the miles I have hiked on the AT but I'm guessing I've sectioned about 300-400 miles so far. My first backpacking trip was about 125 miles.

I can't wait to get back to my old stomping grounds in New Hampshire. I'm hiking with my daughter, who has done over half the trail. This spring we will finish up PA. Looking ahead.. she's already done CT and all but 4 miles of MA. I looking forward to the Whites with her and a friend. :>)

I hope everyone feels comfortable here & feels welcome... so introduce yourself.
    Thanks for the welcome. I got it in me to start hiking the AT a few months ago. My plan is to do section hikes for the next eight years, when I plan on retiring. Then, I would like to do a thru-hike. Tomorrow morning, I will begin my first hike, 100 miles from Pen Mar to the Shenandoah National Park.

Peace!
    ...with lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
    I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
    For wanting things that can only be found
    In the darkness on the edge of town

They call me Woody. Its not dirty, my boss thought I looked like Woody from toy story. I was in Boy Scouts. I backpacked regularly for a few years after and am looking at getting back into it. Want to plan an AT thru hike for when my best bro gets out of the navy.

Welcome Woody, Vibes Man and MJGreen!

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Hello world! I'm generally a lurker just trying to absorb as much thru hiker knowledge as I can. I'm 25 and going to attempt a through in 16 or 17. Been just obsessively reading whatever books and online info I can get my hands on also been steadily upgrading gear. I fell in love with hiking when I hiked the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail and it's 70 miles of awesomeness in central PA about 15 years ago. I highly recommend looking into it. I live in Northern Virginia now and have been hiking stuff in SNP and the AT when ever I can. Please anyone who wants to to hike with me in the local area please message me. I think this winter I'm
    Going to muster up the courage to post my gear on here and have some of you seasoned veterans give me a shakedown. So far though I'm pretty happy with what I've selected. Maybe a few luxury items too many though . Anywho this is a great community and if anyone has questions or lives in my neck of the woods send me a PM.

-Rabbit Hole

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHole View Post
    Hello world! I'm generally a lurker just trying to absorb as much thru hiker knowledge as I can. I'm 25 and going to attempt a through in 16 or 17. Been just obsessively reading whatever books and online info I can get my hands on also been steadily upgrading gear. I fell in love with hiking when I hiked the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail and it's 70 miles of awesomeness in central PA about 15 years ago. I highly recommend looking into it. I live in Northern Virginia now and have been hiking stuff in SNP and the AT when ever I can. Please anyone who wants to to hike with me in the local area please message me. I think this winter I'm
    Going to muster up the courage to post my gear on here and have some of you seasoned veterans give me a shakedown. So far though I'm pretty happy with what I've selected. Maybe a few luxury items too many though . Anywho this is a great community and if anyone has questions or lives in my neck of the woods send me a PM.

-Rabbit Hole
    Rabbit hole. yup, post that gear list and whatever else. Glad to hear your gettin' back into it.

Just seeing this and thought I would chime in. Trail name is Traveler, here AT Traveler. I live in Litchfield CT, am 60 years old, and routinely am out doing something silly like walking up and down steep rutted trails in snow, ice, mud, water, and every once in a while, dry conditions. I've not done a through hike, but have done several sections and most of New England at this point since 1970 when I was introduced to the AT. Hello to all!

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Just seeing this and thought I would chime in. Trail name is Traveler, here AT Traveler. I live in Litchfield CT, am 60 years old, and routinely am out doing something silly like walking up and down steep rutted trails in snow, ice, mud, water, and every once in a while, dry conditions. I've not done a through hike, but have done several sections and most of New England at this point since 1970 when I was introduced to the AT. Hello to all!
    Traveler.

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Ive hiked portions of the AT before on week long spurts but nothing too serious. Starting to look into planning a thru hike in the next few years and figured this was the place to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Ive hiked portions of the AT before on week long spurts but nothing too serious. Starting to look into planning a thru hike in the next few years and figured this was the place to come!
    Welcome Vas. Lots of good information here.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Default Howdy, new from Texas

Howdy ! I'm Wayne, I'm 55, and just started back hiking after many years. I'm an old school Colin Fletcher kind of walker, so I have a lot to learn about all the new light gear, and stuff. Looking forward to the journey !

Images

Hey Im Brian 43 years old. Was in the woods a lot when I was younger but just recently rediscovered the joy of it though trail hiking. Loving this site so far cant wait to hit the trails!

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
++ New Posts ++