Default Female Section Hiking Partner Summer 2014

Hi all,

I'm newer to backpacking. I've been wanting to hike the AT since this past summer after reading Cheryl Strayed's book Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I'm planning on hiking in the summer of 2014, but I was really hoping to have someone to hike with. My family seems a bit worried that it would only be me! I'm planning on taking a couple of backpacking trips beforehand to prepare for the trip. I plan on starting in mid June, which is when school ends. I'm a 27 year old elementary school teacher, which is why I need to wait until mid June to start!

Ideally I would like to start hiking in VA. I'm planning on hiking for about a month or a month and a half, but I'm flexible on the timing and start place! If you are at all interested feel free to PM me or reply to this thread! Any helpful tips are also welcome too .

Thanks!

First off, you won't be alone in VA in June even if you tried real hard to be. It will be thick with thru-hikers passing by every day. Also, for someone just starting, Virginia is a lot harder then you'd expect, especially the first 100 miles or so. So plan to go slow for the first week or two. If you start at Damascus, you should be able to get all the way through VA in 6 weeks, maybe as far as Harpers Ferry. Marion,VA is a bit easier to get to by bus then Damascus, but starting there you miss the Grayson Highlands which is one of the highlights of VA.

I'm tenatively planing on hiking Virgina again myself, but I'll be starting the last week of May. I hope you'll be a bit better prepared then Cheryl was starting the PCT! I just finished reading Wild a few hours ago...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, first of all, and maybe I can be of help. I've been hiking AT sections for 7-8 years now, and I usually hike alone. In my opinion, it's the best way to go. As Slo-go'en says, there will be droves of hikers in Virginia in June, and if you choose to hike with other folks you'll certainly have that option. I'm not sure where you are in Connecticut, but I'd be happy to chat with you and/or your family to offer reassurance. Send me a private message if you want to pursue this; otherwise, just spend some time on this site. Dealing with family worries comes up fairly often, and not only for females.

Thank you for the reassurance! I've heard that that time of year there are many hikers going through VA. One of the people I spoke with warned me that VA might be hazy at that time of year in terms of views. Have you heard this? Thank you for the advice. I certainly haven't planned out exactly where I'm starting - though your comments will make that a bit easier now

I'm trying to be more prepared than Cheryl in Wild. I think I'll also be trying not to throw any hiking boots over the mountain! How did you like Wild?

RE: Wild: I was teary eyed by the end. Given her problems, most would have given up at the very start. The fact she mananged by shear force of will and inner strength which she didn't know she possessed was inspiring.

There are not a lot of views in Virgina to begin with. Many of the views are along power line cuts with massive towers. By June it is starting to get hot and muggy which results in the haze. And thunderstorms. They have some really insane T-storms down there. But on the plus side, you can travel pretty light. Dispite the lack of really good views, there are a lot of interesting things to see along the way, the trail is well maintaned, the people are friendly and all in all, it's a pleasent state to hike through.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    RE: Wild: I was teary eyed by the end. Given her problems, most would have given up at the very start. The fact she mananged by shear force of will and inner strength which she didn't know she possessed was inspiring.

There are not a lot of views in Virgina to begin with. Many of the views are along power line cuts with massive towers. By June it is starting to get hot and muggy which results in the haze. And thunderstorms. They have some really insane T-storms down there. But on the plus side, you can travel pretty light. Dispite the lack of really good views, there are a lot of interesting things to see along the way, the trail is well maintaned, the people are friendly and all in all, it's a pleasent state to hike through.
    It was a very inspiring book - Strayed's journey showed her strength. Thank you for the info! After reading about the different states that the AT goes through, VA seemed the most doable to me since I am new to backpacking.

Hey skayla86.... I live in Roanoke VA near where the trail crosses in Daleville, VA. I can PM you my contact info, so, when you are coming through SW and Central VA, you will have a person you know you can call if you need anything at all. I can give you a ride if you need one... whatever..

I met a lot of hikers comin through last year. It's fun!! You will meet lots of people on the trail too.

You will love hiking in VA!!

Let me know if the water situation gets scarce, as it sometimes does, around McAfee Knob. I can get water to shelters etc..

Have a great hike!

Images

I see that you are in Connecticut and so am I! And have been horsing around on the AT in CT, and the adjoining states, for some years now.

If you don't mind my asking, why don't you just start a little closer to home? The AT in CT is pretty and not super-hard, and wouldn't involve nearly as much of an investment in travel, etc. There are many spots in CT, MA and NY where you can take public transportation to get to and from the trail (you will find this quickly becomes your biggest problem, unless you have someone who is planning to drop you off and pick you up again). Or, even if you don't want to do your overnights in CT, maybe take some time this spring and drive over to Falls Village or Kent or Salisbury and jump on the trail for a while. See if it's what you expect. The great thing about our state is that you're really never more than 1.5 hours from the AT, no matter where you live.

You are most welcome to PM me for ideas about good day hikes or simple overnights in this tri-state region of the AT. I lead groups on the AT in CT several times each year, and would be happy to share with you other ideas for gear or cooking, etc. I hope you like it!

Jane in CT

No offence gsingjane, but Virginia is way better then CT/MA

Quote Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
    I see that you are in Connecticut and so am I! And have been horsing around on the AT in CT, and the adjoining states, for some years now.

If you don't mind my asking, why don't you just start a little closer to home? The AT in CT is pretty and not super-hard, and wouldn't involve nearly as much of an investment in travel, etc. There are many spots in CT, MA and NY where you can take public transportation to get to and from the trail (you will find this quickly becomes your biggest problem, unless you have someone who is planning to drop you off and pick you up again). Or, even if you don't want to do your overnights in CT, maybe take some time this spring and drive over to Falls Village or Kent or Salisbury and jump on the trail for a while. See if it's what you expect. The great thing about our state is that you're really never more than 1.5 hours from the AT, no matter where you live.

You are most welcome to PM me for ideas about good day hikes or simple overnights in this tri-state region of the AT. I lead groups on the AT in CT several times each year, and would be happy to share with you other ideas for gear or cooking, etc. I hope you like it!

Jane in CT
    Thanks for the thoughts Jane! I think I originally chose VA because of the terrain and to see something new . I'm certainly not opposed to hiking the AT in CT beforehand though!

Many hikers start out alone at the beginning of their hikes, but unless they want to stay alone, they rarely are alone for long. You will make dozens of new friends and many willing to help with anything you may need help with. Trail folk are some of the best out there. Get out and enjoy yourself!!

Hello! I am a 27 year old music teacher (PK-8) originally from CT. I am hoping to spend this summer hiking the AT. I get out in June and need to be back the second to last week in august. I might be camping with friends near Asheville, NC in June and going from there (NoBo). I'd love to share the trail with somebody, so feel free to PM me as summer draws near!

I got on the trail last summer in CT with minimal backpacking experience and no experience in going solo. I stayed on the trail for 3 weeks and loved every second of it. I was fine being alone, but found it was so easy to make friends. I ended up hiking for a week with a small group of thru-hikers and then hung out with one guy for the other two weeks. I hiked alone all day, but would meet up at a shelter with my friend. It was the best of both worlds. I was a 29 woman and had no problem making friends. Male thru-hikers seem to be especially lonely out there and often love having a woman around. My friends became very protective of me and only tried once to hit on me and figured out quickly that I wasn't interested and then never tried again. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by jpassehl View Post
    I got on the trail last summer in CT with minimal backpacking experience and no experience in going solo. I stayed on the trail for 3 weeks and loved every second of it. I was fine being alone, but found it was so easy to make friends. I ended up hiking for a week with a small group of thru-hikers and then hung out with one guy for the other two weeks. I hiked alone all day, but would meet up at a shelter with my friend. It was the best of both worlds. I was a 29 woman and had no problem making friends. Male thru-hikers seem to be especially lonely out there and often love having a woman around. My friends became very protective of me and only tried once to hit on me and figured out quickly that I wasn't interested and then never tried again. Haha.
    Jpassehl - thank you for the reassuring thoughts!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cathyfass View Post
    Hello! I am a 27 year old music teacher (PK-8) originally from CT. I am hoping to spend this summer hiking the AT. I get out in June and need to be back the second to last week in august. I might be camping with friends near Asheville, NC in June and going from there (NoBo). I'd love to share the trail with somebody, so feel free to PM me as summer draws near!
    Hey there,

I'm a former music teacher - taught in Maine for 22 years, now work in the private sector. Planning to do a week in Virginia in June. I'll be sure to post over here in the women's forum once my dates are nailed down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skayla86 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm newer to backpacking. I've been wanting to hike the AT since this past summer after reading Cheryl Strayed's book Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail. I'm planning on hiking in the summer of 2014, but I was really hoping to have someone to hike with. My family seems a bit worried that it would only be me! I'm planning on taking a couple of backpacking trips beforehand to prepare for the trip. I plan on starting in mid June, which is when school ends. I'm a 27 year old elementary school teacher, which is why I need to wait until mid June to start!

Ideally I would like to start hiking in VA. I'm planning on hiking for about a month or a month and a half, but I'm flexible on the timing and start place! If you are at all interested feel free to PM me or reply to this thread! Any helpful tips are also welcome too .

Thanks!
    Just wanted to say I will be out in Virginia in June, still firming up dates. But regardless, you will be totally safe out there. I'm 48 and have hiked solo a number of times. I've found the trail to be exceedingly kind. I think it's a pretty safe place to be.

++ New Posts ++