Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Default AT NOBO Outfitter in FL?

I'm prepping for an AT NOBO and need a shoe fitting and cold weather gear (all layers.)

Does anyone know a dependable / serious outfitter near the Tampa Bay? I'll drive wherever I need to go.

Hoping to buy this stuff and shakedown (packing, at the very least) at Citrus Tract ASAP.

Hey! I'm about an hour south of you in Sarasota. I've had an REI membership for a while, so when they opened a store in Jacksonville I headed up there, made a second trip about a month ago to finish up. It's a great store with a friendly, experienced staff...worth the drive if you've got the time.

Images

Funny you say that, I was just in Jax but couldn't stick around to visit the REI. That's pretty much all I could think of too, but as a long-time member I don't mind. The results are probably worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I'm prepping for an AT NOBO and need a shoe fitting and cold weather gear (all layers.)

Does anyone know a dependable / serious outfitter near the Tampa Bay? I'll drive wherever I need to go.

Hoping to buy this stuff and shakedown (packing, at the very least) at Citrus Tract ASAP.
    Travel Country Outdoors in Altamonte Springs is a great shop, high end gear and knowledgeable staff... Great Paddling source too...

tampa bay outfitters, bill jackson is kind of sketch

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    Travel Country Outdoors in Altamonte Springs is a great shop, high end gear and knowledgeable staff... Great Paddling source too...
    They are great outfitter. I was just there this weekend. Great Bunch of Folks.

Images

Looks like its worth the trip. Thanks alot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toli View Post
    Also, in the same general area is Mosquito Creek Outdoors in Apopka. Their shoe guy is an actual retired podiatrist, really knows his stuff!
    Last edited by lilricky; 12-31-2013 at 10:03.
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Bill Jackson's is a good store. I shop there if I'm not buying over the internet. They are pricey because they are the only store in town. The shop is on US 19 between Park Blvd and Bryan Dairy on the East side.

Good Luck!
    Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

While on the topic, any AT NOBOers for 2014 in FL? I'm heading out 4/15 at the latest, but am shooting for earlier. Not sure about whether I'll be flying into ATL from a cross-country drive to CA or whether I'll be back in FL and Amtrak'ing it to Gainesville. This all depends on when I have to drive out to CA, which I should know in a week.

Don't know if you have 1 near you but Dicks sells some descent gear.

Registered User Charlie Pickens's Avatar
    Journal Entries

We're section hiking from Springer to the GA/NC border starting April 9th. Were originally gonna fly in to Atlanta and shuttle over to Amicalola Falls but might consider Amtrac.Depends..

++ New Posts ++