WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Osprey Exos 48 for 2014

Looks like REI now has the new Exos 48 available for purchase on line only. I'm very interested in this pack. If anybody has seen one in person or bought one and used it yet, any information about your initial impressions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Images

The Exos 48 was my go-to pack for 2 full BP seasons, including one JMT through hike. Excellent pack. Its one major flaw is its whimpy waist belt. When the pack is loaded above, say, the high-20's in weight, it just does not support well enough. So when I started out with a full load of 7-8 days worth of food and a 2.5 lb bear canister (required on the JMT), even with my 12 pound base weight, I was in the 30 pound range plus any carried water. The Exos became uncomfortable at this weight. Of course this only lasted a day or two until my food weight dropped then the pack was fine.

But, I've since replaced the Exos with a ULA OHM 2.0 which is about a pound lighter and has a significantly beefier, more supportive waist belt. I still use the Exos for short weekend trips (to save wear/tear on my prized ULA pack), but the OHM 2.0 blows it away overall. So, bottom line, I think you'd really like the Exos if you keep your total weight in the mid-20's and below, but you might be disappointed if you're in the 30lb total pack weight range.

I have an older (2005) Atmos 50 and love the ventilation it provides. However, it's getting "long in the tooth". It looks like the newer Exos 48 will be about 2# 6 oz with the lid. I'm a lightweight hiker and am aware of the limitations of the hip belt and shoulder straps on these models. I think for the style of hiking that I do, this new pack may be a winner. Thanks for the feedback on your experiences.

Images

Cool, I know you'll be happy with the Exos. I also started with the Atmos 50, just recently finally gave that one away to my son. Yes, that back ventilation thing is great on these packs.

Images

The old Exos didn't fit me right, but I picked up a Talon 44 for $99, and it fits like a glove. I believe it is rated to carry a bit heavier if needed. Weighs roughly the same as an Exos. When you pick up one of the new Exos, let us now how it fits.

Images

One aspect of the Ospreys that springs to mind is the sizing; my main complaint is that the Large comes with a large waist belt, etc, and that's that. If you're tall and skinny or short and more rotund, this is problematic. My large Exos (and Atmos) has too large of a waist belt for me, and has to be fully cinched down to support weight. I sure wish they had sized waist belts on these packs. Their larger packs, like the Aether do (I have a large pack with medium waist belt in this model). If you have average height/weight ratios, these Exos/Atmos packs work better.

I was all set to buy an Exos. Had money in hand and a gleam in my eye. Just before slapping the money on the counter, I tried on a Deuter pack. I agree with the Exos hip belt statements, although light and airy, it lacked any 'robustness'. The Deuter instantly hugged my waist much better. I walked out with the Deuter, and my first hike with a 30lb pack was quite manageable. I still love my Osprey stratos 24 for quick trips and daily work travel.

I have the old one as well and my one issue was the crossbar would frequently pop out. It looks like the new model changes how it is attached which should be a big improvement.

I have an Exos 34 that I bought back in 2009. I did a fast (mostly 30+ miles / day) thru on the AT with it back then and it held up really nicely. I haven't really had any issues with the belt. I actually like the flimsiness of the belt and shoulder straps -- it seems like a heavier belt would be a lot warmer. I tend toward the ultralight side of things -- I'm sub 10 lb base weight and rarely over 20 total weight -- so the 34 was about the right size. And it's a really light pack to have a full frame, which I like.

I'm doing an Arizona Trail thru starting in a couple weeks, and the pack should hold up well for that, but I may need to replace it at some point. Does anybody have the new version of the Exos? I noticed that the straps (including the belt) are bulkier on the new version, and I wonder if those will be a lot warmer for warm-weather hiking, which is mostly what I do. Any thoughts on this?

I recently got the 2014 Exos 48. I only have two overnight hikes (maybe 27 trail miles) so far, but definitely love this pack. Very light. Hip and shoulder straps are awesome compared to my older (2005) Atmos 50. Ventilation is super. I can easily reach the water bottle pockets and they swallow up very large bottles. The only dislike so far are the funky pad straps on the bottom of the pack. I got the green/black color and like the styling.

I don't own the new version but I do currently use the previous 2013 model Exos 58.Very happy with it. I am 5'8 about 145 lbs
    31 inch waist. Medium size pack. Waist belt I would say has a minimum of 29-30. I use almost all of the slack. My base weight is about 13lbs.Total with f&w would put it around 20. I liked the pack so much I bought a small (same version) for my gf. I have used it for about 300 trail miles so far with no complaints. On my gf's small pack the hip pockets seem small and are too far placed to the side for ergonomic use. I don't have that issue with my medium. I would recommend that if you want to save some cash to buy the 2013 model. It is basically the same pack with minor changes. Dealers are trying to get rid of them to make room for new model and are practically giving them away.

++ New Posts ++