WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Brooks Cascadia have a generally wider toe box.

Avoid the Cascadia 10s as they have a defective designed upper that breaks down/tears with prolonged use aka hiking lots.
    Cascadia 8 are one of their best. Look for online clearances or ebay and ensure a return policy.

I have an even bigger challenge, because I have insoles and because I don't use leather products. I was using NewBalance 812, which come in a 6E width (no typo on the 6E). They have been great for my city life, and I use them for my exercise walks. Unfortunately, I have found that I need ankle support when I carry a pack on the trail, so I am back out looking for something that will work in a high top style that is vegan and comes in a 6E width.

Check out this link. http://www.greatoutdoors.com/publish...-fitting-guide
    One of the sections of this website suggest a method of freezing boots to make the toe box wider. I've never tried it on trail runners but I can attest that it works on boots. My right foot is wider than my left and I "froze" it. Fixed my problem on several pairs of boots. There are some other interesting ideas on how to expand specific areas of footwear to accommodate bunions and other foot issues.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldwetherman View Post
    Check out this link. http://www.greatoutdoors.com/publish...-fitting-guide
    One of the sections of this website suggest a method of freezing boots to make the toe box wider. I've never tried it on trail runners but I can attest that it works on boots. My right foot is wider than my left and I "froze" it. Fixed my problem on several pairs of boots. There are some other interesting ideas on how to expand specific areas of footwear to accommodate bunions and other foot issues.
    Oldweatherman, wow, I have to try freezing some of my leather dress shoes. Maybe with this idea I won't be limited to buying wide shoes. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    It may have already been mentioned as I did not read the whole string of posts, but...

When you have decided which make, model and size of shoe is the right one for you have the salesman bring you 2 more pair of that make, model and size. Try every shoe on and see how they fit. Take the best fitting right and left shoe out of all the pairs. No two shoes are made exactly the same and, of course, no two feet are made exactly the same. I have been doing this for many years and I am convinced that pairs of shoes of the same size vary as much sometimes as almost a half size. Since my left foot is bigger than my right foot I can use the above method to find a better fitting pair of shoes.
    +1 I agree. I've been doing that for yrs too and absolutely do find differences in how the same model and size shoes are constructed having some affect on long term comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    I have an even bigger challenge, because I have insoles and because I don't use leather products. I was using NewBalance 812, which come in a 6E width (no typo on the 6E). They have been great for my city life, and I use them for my exercise walks. Unfortunately, I have found that I need ankle support when I carry a pack on the trail, so I am back out looking for something that will work in a high top style that is vegan and comes in a 6E width.

Do not assume you absolutely need high tops for ankle support or protection. I can often still rock low cuts while supporting my ankles with an ankle/heel compression sleeve, taping the ankle/heel, or wrapping that same area mildly loosely with a flexible ACE bandage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Do not assume you absolutely need high tops for ankle support or protection. I can often still rock low cuts while supporting my ankles with an ankle/heel compression sleeve, taping the ankle/heel, or wrapping that same area mildly loosely with a flexible ACE bandage.
    That may just end out being the solution. Love my shoes. No blisters, and no other issues, but my ankles became really swollen on this last outing. It is definitely not a fluid accumulation or other health issue. Luckily, there was zero pain. I wouldn't have even noticed, had I not looked and seen them.

BTW, even though I do my utmost to prevent it, what I described as a different approach to supporting or protecting ankles, is what I'll do to heal sometimes deep painful heel/toe/foot cracks.

I'm going to use Altra trail running shoes on the PCT this year, I still have some fresh NB shoes that were not rugged enough for the A.T though.
    They are uniquely known for their 0 drop design and the ergonomic toe box that cannot be found in any other shoe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++