Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

On 2 different hikes, AT and later PCT I encountered paired females where I got the feeling that something was not kosher. Never did figure it out. On another AT hike I met a woman hiking solo and wound up hiking the same pace for most of a week. I think we both considered it a trail related friendship and that worked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    A truly creepy woman would frighten me just as much as a man... I don't fear people because of their physicality, I fear their intentions. If I'm going to sleep in a shelter with someone creepy a woman could be just as dangerous as a man...
    I think you are nitpicking at examples that are not in the context of this topic. We would all be concerned with sleeping next to Glenn Close...that's not what's being discussed. And physicality absolutely plays a large role. the instances of men believing they are being creeped on by a woman, and even further are frightened by it, have to be so rare that it passes as statistical insignificance. I can't imagine a man feeling anything more than slight annoyance if he were to be in that position. At which point we would wave our hand and shoo them away without too much thought about it. The reason you don't see a guy starting a thread like this should be pretty indicative of that in itself I would think. I have never once gone on a hike even remotely concerned with running into a woman that wants to eyeball me up and down with animal intentions. I'd probably feel awesome if they did :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Mmm, not that simple. LEO are generally rather hesitant to get into anything other than an obvious crime situation. Hard enough when the evidence is straight forward, much less do-able when a situation is debatable. That being said I.doubt that any LEO would hesitate showing the flag especially where a female is involved and hopefully that is all that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    1. Try not to become a part of a spirited argument out in the middle of nowhere ."
    "A passer by who meddles in business not his own is like one who pulls a dog by the ears."

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Hashbrown said she never felt threatened. We are talking about 2 different issues.

I have to agree with RCBear on this one.

Some women, on the trail, are on "the same page" as some men on the trail. In that case, watch your back, MD, right? I think this thread is about the women that aren't on that page. Other posters have made some interesting comments as far as the vibes women can put out there. That can't be ignored either but, again, we aren't talking about that on this thread.
    I'm glad HM said that. Let's remember men this is the female forum(see all the red?). Let's try offering some help to the females by considering their recommendations so we do not make them feel uncomfortable, threatened, or creeped out. This topic isn't about males being threatened by females.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Hashbrown said she never felt threatened. We are talking about 2 different issues.

I have to agree with RCBear on this one.

Some women, on the trail, are on "the same page" as some men on the trail. In that case, watch your back, MD, right? I think this thread is about the women that aren't on that page. Other posters have made some interesting comments as far as the vibes women can put out there. That can't be ignored either but, again, we aren't talking about that on this thread.
    You're right, I'm not talking about the subject Hashbrown was discussing anymore. My apologies I followed the drift when 911 came up... To me 'creepy' means I feel like I, or someone around me, may be threatened. I know it means something different to others.

I think the litmus test is "Diva Cup". Just mention "Diva Cup" and any male that doesn't mysteriously remember something that he has to go take care of elsewhere is certifiably sketchy.

[QUOTE=The Weasel;1835567]Yes, and most people would also agree that a beating and/or rape that was prevented by a phone call would be a reason to tell those parents not to be upset.

Now all "creepy guys" are rapist. I'm punching out and heading back to reality where my wife and daughters don't get assaulted and raped by every guy with no social skills.

not to down play the real issues being discussed in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'm glad HM said that. Let's remember men this is the female forum(see all the red?). Let's try offering some help to the females by considering their recommendations so we do not make them feel uncomfortable, threatened, or creeped out. This topic isn't about males being threatened by females.
    thanks Dogwood. I think sometimes these threads get slightly hijacked by the guys offering well-meaning advice :-)

that being said, I think some people are just more easily creeped out than others. I tend to be one of those people; kind of a loner who enjoys brief walks with others for some gentle companionship. hence I have selected my gear to be stealthy in the event I don't want to be so visible to passers by.
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

A couple of thoughts on this topic:

1. Women want men to look at them...and again they dont want to be looked at...they have the delima of attracting men without attracting unwanted men...glad I dont have to deal with that problem.

2. It's natural for people, both men and women, to be attracted to things of beauty. I like to observe pretty women,but, dont take this wrong ladies, I'd rather see a beautiful dog or horse...hey, not saying I'm not attracted to a pretty lady though. Any thing of beauty is worth a look...and I do understand that a look sometimes can become more than it should be.

Gentlemen you are getting out of hand. There are disproportionate crime statistics regarding gender. Time to back off and stop the arguing. If you can't avoid getting overly involved in these discussions put the forum on ignore please. Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

I don't know if anyone has said this but just because you find a certain person creepy, doesn't mean the next person will.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I don't know if anyone has said this but just because you find a certain person creepy, doesn't mean the next person will.
    DS... I hear ya. What you're saying is true but really unless you have a sex change (don't even think about it ) you won't understand what this thread is addressing.

The first thread I posted on WB was coming from a female's perspective. Most guys didn't understand that one either. We see/feel things from a different place. It's real!

A big "thank you" shout out to the guys that try to understand! It's complicated!

That's awesome that you found a great hiking partner! It's all about reading the signals. You'll know if someone enjoys your company!

OK, clearly I don't use White Blaze often. The above post was meant as a reply to Dogwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hashbrown View Post
    OK, clearly I don't use White Blaze often. The above post was meant as a reply to Dogwood.
    OK, clearly you had the same problem I had when I first joined. Soo... what you do is this- Find the reply that you want to reply too. Then just hit the the "Reply with Quote" (in this case, Dogwood's reply box) Then, start typing away after his [/QUOTE] Then, Hit reply.

If you want to multi-quote then simply click on the "+ thingie. After the last one is "chosen" then just click on "Reply With Quote.... there you go!

Dogwood is FUNny.... as I smile with warm thoughts of DW's posts.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well as a younger man married, a long time ago, I hiked a section from DWG to Wind Gap.. I walked into a empty shelter, I was 4-6 miles on top of what I thought was a 15 mile hike on a summers day. I knew I was dehydrated after the 10th mile. I had made several gross errors on a hot summers day. Fat, out of shape, haven't hiked in years and wanted to make a difference in my life I wanted to hike again. I collapsed on the shelter in a seated position as this was the destination on the floor. I had no idea where the water source was. I sat there for a while - two (MY Guess) 20-30 year old women with huge packs came up to the shelter. She took one look at my sorry dehydrated old ass and asked "You staying here?" I said "yes" planning to set up a heavy tent from my heavy pack far closer to the spigot... My spoken words were without thought or merit. With thought and a man nearby she quickly said "lets get to town"... later I found out for this thru person more than 10 miles after a similar amount and they did most of it in the dark. So misjudged and at the time feeling awful from the hike - I never forgot the moment.

Happy Trails Girls - I hope you don't make the same mistakes, give it some thought - yes you need to think about your fears, what is real and imagined.

I don't post here often - but when I do - I really wait a few pages and give it some thought.. this posts was done before by me a few years ago in a similar thread.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well as a younger man married, a long time ago, I hiked a section from DWG to Wind Gap.. I walked into a empty shelter, I was 4-6 miles on top of what I thought was a 15 mile hike on a summers day. I knew I was dehydrated after the 10th mile. I had made several gross errors on a hot summers day. Fat, out of shape, haven't hiked in years and wanted to make a difference in my life I wanted to hike again. I collapsed on the shelter in a seated position as this was the destination on the floor. I had no idea where the water source was. I sat there for a while - two (MY Guess) 20-30 year old women with huge packs came up to the shelter. She took one look at my sorry dehydrated old ass and asked "You staying here?" I said "yes" planning to set up a heavy tent from my heavy pack far closer to the spigot... My spoken words were without thought or merit. With thought and a man nearby she quickly said "lets get to town"... later I found out for this thru person more than 10 miles after a similar amount and they did most of it in the dark. So misjudged and at the time feeling awful from the hike - I never forgot the moment.

Happy Trails Girls - I hope you don't make the same mistakes, give it some thought - yes you need to think about your fears, what is real and imagined.

I don't post here often - but when I do - I really wait a few pages and give it some thought.. this posts was done before by me a few years ago in a similar thread.
    Aww.. WOO. I feel bad that you were misjudged... that's horrible! I'm glad you posted.. I'm happy to see you!

Dry bones I think you are not 100% correct "Women want men to look at them..." as far as I can see (WARNING : Un-PC statement begins here-) the majority of women want to "look better" than the next woman present first. Then they are looking to see if men are looking. However you will never get a woman to admit it because women live in costum.

haha nice, thanks for sharing !

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++