WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping near Harpers Ferry

I'm planning a southbound section hike in April starting at Harpers Ferry. My train from DC gets into HF around 5:30pm and that should leave a couple of hours of daylight at that time of year. I'm hoping that I can hike a few miles south of HF and camp for the night. Does anyone know of spots to pitch a tent in that area? From what I've read, the terrain is uphill and rocky so I'm not sure if I'll find anywhere to camp within a few miles. I could stay overnight in HF and start the next morning but would prefer to just get off the train and hit the trail!
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I'm planning a southbound section hike in April starting at Harpers Ferry. My train from DC gets into HF around 5:30pm and that should leave a couple of hours of daylight at that time of year. I'm hoping that I can hike a few miles south of HF and camp for the night. Does anyone know of spots to pitch a tent in that area? From what I've read, the terrain is uphill and rocky so I'm not sure if I'll find anywhere to camp within a few miles. I could stay overnight in HF and start the next morning but would prefer to just get off the train and hit the trail!
    Once you get up the hill, which is probably only a mile or two, there should be plenty of spots. Nothing 'perfect' but you'll be able to make due I'm sure. I've seen people camp on the hill, on some of the rare flat spots, so that'd be possible I'd you can't make it further. I'd say no worries, plan on heading up that way and making it work.

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

I second that. It's pretty easy to find a place to camp once you climb the hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Great, that should work. Maybe I'll also do a day trip out there and scout out the area before my hike. Thanks
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Fastpacker
    Images

I've taken the same train from DC and stealth camped just north of the town along the Potomac in my hammock. I woke up to a local guy fishing at like 6am, he he was about 10yds away and didn't even see me. He waded out into the middle of the river and I packed up and headed North.

You'll just have to cut back through town next morning if you want to go south.
    When hiking in bear country one does not need to be the fastest runner in the party, just not the slowest - TalusMonkey

The were several well used spots south of town also some civil war trenches/fighting position.

That is cool.

++ New Posts ++