WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bag/Quilt Suggestions

Hey everyone! I'm trying to bring my base weight down quite a bit so I'm looking for some new gear. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 20-30 degree sleeping bag or quilt that weighs less than 20oz? I see that Z-Packs has a couple of bags that fit in that range. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

Gareth
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Undergroundquilts have some really nice ultralight quilts, you can look at their weights and specs here: http://www.undergroundquilts.com/Specs/default.html Also, Hammockgear has their Burrows: http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-20/
    Maintainer of the Unofficial Trail GPS Map Page(Updated 3-8-16) Now updated with the Florida Trail, Lone Star Hiking Trail, Arizona Trail, and Appalachian Trail.

Enlightened Equipment

Here's another one claimed 19oz down to 25F.

http://www.campsaver.com/thermarest-navis-sleeping-bag

+1 for Underground Quilts. You won't find anything lighter or more reasonably priced.

i have an EE revelation, i really think its hard to beat the quality/value. you can keep spending more money, but IMO it becomes diminishing returns

I've purchased 2 TQs and 2 UQs from Adam at Hammock Gear and I can say I love their products so much I keep going back. Make sure you take width into consideration when your placing your order especially if your a side sleeper. I order my first quilt and didnt factor this in amd spent a lot of clod sleepless nights with cold spots from the sides of the quilt lifting up in my sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    +1 for Underground Quilts. You won't find anything lighter or more reasonably priced.
    I will be buying a quilt soon and have been shopping around. Thanks for the tip on UQ. I was surprised to see that they offer hydrophobic treated down on all their quilts for not much more than others ask for standard down. EE offers the treated down as an option, but at a very steep premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    I've purchased 2 TQs and 2 UQs from Adam at Hammock Gear and I can say I love their products so much I keep going back. Make sure you take width into consideration when your placing your order especially if your a side sleeper. I order my first quilt and didnt factor this in amd spent a lot of clod sleepless nights with cold spots from the sides of the quilt lifting up in my sleep.
    Width was an issue when I looked at both Hammock Gear and Underground Quilts. I think they are designed for hammocks. Their standard width is 50" and wide versions are 55". I inquired with Hammock Gear to see if I could get a wider version, but they never responded to my email. As a side sleeper, I needed something wider and went with EE.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooga View Post
    Width was an issue when I looked at both Hammock Gear and Underground Quilts. I think they are designed for hammocks. Their standard width is 50" and wide versions are 55". I inquired with Hammock Gear to see if I could get a wider version, but they never responded to my email. As a side sleeper, I needed something wider and went with EE.
    I recently contacted UQ with some questions. He replied immediately and recommended the 55" quilt for those like me who sleep in tents on pads, suggesting that a 50" could work for people who really wanted to shave grams from their base weight. Didn't ask about custom work and am not sure yet if 55" is wide enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I recently contacted UQ with some questions. He replied immediately and recommended the 55" quilt for those like me who sleep in tents on pads, suggesting that a 50" could work for people who really wanted to shave grams from their base weight. Didn't ask about custom work and am not sure yet if 55" is wide enough.
    Could you cut or measure a piece of fabric on hand to 55" and try draping it across your shoulders while lying on your side to get an idea?

I use a Zpack 30 degree bag for most 3 season camping and have used it down to about 20 degrees with no problems as long as I combined my sleep clothes and driclime, alone with a wool beanie.

I'm 5'9 and about 190. I bought the wide because I turn in my sleep and long just so I could crawl inside if I needed to. What I found works best for me is to place the zipper on the down side when sleeping (no draft tube...) and cinch the top draw string around my neck. Works perfectly and keeps a nice, warm bubble of air in the bag.

Also have a Rev X 10 degree for colder weather.

Wow! I went away for a few days and came back to some great suggestions! Thanks!
    "Exploration is in our nature. We began as wanderers, and we are wanderers still." ~Carl Sagan~

Images

I'm a big fan of Nunatak quilts. He'll customize it for ya to accommodate wide shoulders and big feet. I've been using quilts for years and love 'em.
    IAT '03, AT '04, PCT '06, CDT '07, CT '08, PCT '09, AT '10, CDT '12, AZT and PCT '13

I haven't seen Katabatic quillts mentioned here at all (although I dpi need new glasses); how come? Cost? Quality? Anyone had any experience with them?

I've never heard of Katabatic quilts until you mentioned it. They definitely fall into the range I'm looking for! I'll have to look at reviews. Thanks!

take a look at outdoorgearlabs.com for some quilt reviews, although I like getting feedback from people on these types of forums much better

++ New Posts ++