WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Available of fuel tabs?

I'm planning to hike the CT late this summer, making one hot meal a day the 0.5-ounce titanium Esbit tripod stove using one Esbit fuel tab for each supper. Does anyone have info on the availability of Esbit or other fuel tabs along the CT?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    I'm planning to hike the CT late this summer, making one hot meal a day the 0.5-ounce titanium Esbit tripod stove using one Esbit fuel tab for each supper. Does anyone have info on the availability of Esbit or other fuel tabs along the CT?
    Hmm...that's something that may work by calling ahead first. Esbit will be a little rare, but the the Coglhan fuel tabs may be more common in various place.

May be easier just to mail ahead if the outfitters in various towns don't stock the fuel.

Another option: Maybe if you call, they'd be willing to pre-order some and save your order for you too? Easier then mailing the tabs yourself for sure.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-01-2014 at 20:50.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thanks, I will plan on calling outfitters in Breckenridge, Salida etc.

I can't refer to specific retailers in Colorado, but generally Esbit fuel tabs are pretty rare to find in smaller stores. You can mail them though, so it works to buy them beforehand and mail them to yourself in a bounce box or mail drops. REI would probably also send them to you general delivery to POs along the trail.

In regards to the Coghlan's tabs, I think these have a different chemical makeup than Esbit - someone can correct me if I'm wrong - so they may be less effective. I haven't personally tried them though, so I can't say for sure. It's just something to keep in mind if you're buying your fuel beforehand.

The northern part of the CT has a lot of snow but the San Juans are 70% of normal. Very good chance that fuels such as Esbit and alcohol will be banned by time you get down there. If/when that happens, the only stoves allowed will be ones with a mechanical shutoff valve (gas or propane). You might want to consider going stoveless, or have a allowed stove on standby that can be sent to you.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 04-13-2014 at 08:41.

! Thanks for the heads up. I've only ever tried alcohol and Esbit before so it might be fun to try something new. Not for my back but for my mind

Thanks, bearcreek. If fuel tabs are still allowed, I was told by the outfitter in Salida that it stocks Esbit tabs, the store in Twin Lakes says it has Coughlin tabs, stores in Creede and Lake City (not sure yet which one I'll stop in) say they can order Esbits; still need to contact stores in Breckenridge and Silverton. If fuel tabs are banned, might try a canister stove or maybe go stoveless; I cook only one meal a day anyway. Woo hoo, got my Diamox rx and looking forward to this trek; plan a 160-mile shakedown hike in the Smokies in a few weeks and a bunch of other hikes in that area to retest gear.

4 years ago, I called every outfitter along the CT to ask about fuel availability. Here are the results for Esbit tablets:

Breckenridge: Mountain Outfitters will stock them for you if you call in advance

Leadville: Sawatch Backcountry did not respond

Buena Vista: Trailhead Sports did not stock them

Salida: Salida Mountain Sports did stock them and let me pre-pay for them to assure availability

Creede: San Juan Sports was not open yet when I called

Silverton: Outdoor World did stock them

Twin Lakes has changed owners and as you've found, now carrys the Coughlin alternative.

++ New Posts ++