WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

I couldn't possibly read thru all the posts, but this is what i carry and do. Byer Moskito hammock, a camo poncho in case it rains, a fleece blanket that dries almost instantly, i got it at flea market, a green lightweight camping pad, two cookpots, one for soup and the other for tea, Bounty paper towels, since they are still useable if they get wet, you just dry them out, some kind of jerky for food. I never drink water, just tea, usually Celestial Seasons Bengal Spice, the boiling kills everything. I don't carry a stove or water purifier. One pair of shorts, one pair of pants that I use for a pillow, Keen Newport sandals. I have never wore underwear since I was a kid. compass, Walden, Confederacy of Dunces, small binoculars, a Ruger 22 auto for hunting. About 20 to 25 pounds.

I used to be in the exact opposite mindset. I moved to Alaska in the early 90's with the idea of being a "mountain man". I must have read "The Mad Trapper of Rat River" and watched "Jeremiah Johnson" a hundred times each the last couple of years I was in college. For those of you who don't know who Albert Johnson was, he was a ghost who literally walked across Canada, possibly from North Dakota, and his life ended in the Yukon after a month long chase in the dead of winter. When the RCMP finally killed him, after chasing him with dog teams and planes across mountains, his pack was estimated to weigh 200 pounds. he had a shotgun, a rifle, two pistols, a bearskin blanket with the hair on, and all kinds of other stuff. He was my hero.

Now, I just don't think it is worth it. The best camping I have ever done is when I had a dog team carrying all my stuff...I had a big thick Cabelas camp pad that was as good or better than a high end double quilt top mattress, a badass heavy tent and a Woods sleeping bag, but I can't imagine carrying **** like that on my back anymore.

You don't carry a stove but you do boil all your water? Are you building a fire at every meal?

Charles Bronson played Albert Johnson in Death Hunt. Lee Marvin was the Mountie. Good movie. Fantastic scenery-Canadian Rockies.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I build a fire just to watch it burn...better than TV...I love the smell of a campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Charles Bronson played Albert Johnson in Death Hunt. Lee Marvin was the Mountie. Good movie. Fantastic scenery-Canadian Rockies.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Really changing the subject here, but I never understood how Hollywood could transmogrify such an incredible tale into something completely unidentifiable. The only thing they got correct was the name, Albert Johnson...everything else was made up...and trust me, I love Charles Bronson, I named my second son Bronson, and I loved the movie, but reality is so much more incredible than fictional nonsense.

Journal Entries

Still amazed at the false information that gets thrown around.

Ultralight, is not difficult. Its mostly taking only what you need, and only as much as you need, as well as ditching your fears.

Ultralight doesnt have to be $$, but $$ adds a lot of comfort.

99% of what is needed, is knowledge, that can be gotten by reading informed sources like BPL. Understand the gear, the drawbacks, and how to minimize the drawbacks in adverse circumstances.

Ive encountered a few people on the AT that even have pitched their double wall tents in areas that water pooled in during rain and gotten soaked. Simple basic mistakes that should never happen, but do out of lack of knowledge.

You can learn from your own mistakes, or from experiences of others. The latter is much easier.

My pack will always be heavier if my wife is hiking with me. Not only do I carry more so she can carry less, but she needs much more insulation than I do. She is cold year round, so she takes on pack weight to be comfortable.
    HYOH, as comfortable as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Still amazed at the false information that gets thrown around.

Ultralight, is not difficult. Its mostly taking only what you need, and only as much as you need, as well as ditching your fears.

Ultralight doesnt have to be $$, but $$ adds a lot of comfort.

99% of what is needed, is knowledge, that can be gotten by reading informed sources like BPL. Understand the gear, the drawbacks, and how to minimize the drawbacks in adverse circumstances.

Ive encountered a few people on the AT that even have pitched their double wall tents in areas that water pooled in during rain and gotten soaked. Simple basic mistakes that should never happen, but do out of lack of knowledge.

You can learn from your own mistakes, or from experiences of others. The latter is much easier.
    Muddy Waters,

I've been saying the same thing for over 20 years. The problem is many of the normal hiking reading material is just the stale information that has been past down every year.

Wolf

So did KC thru hike last year?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

This is the greatest thread ever.

Pilot B

I like the person who said "bring what you think you need, and then start sending stuff home".

The biggest long distance hiking (the primary focus of whiteblaze) mistake is carrying too much stuff.

The biggest ultralight mistake is carrying too much stuff in too flimsy of a backpack.

I don't care how you cut it, the biggest mistake is always carrying too much stuff--up until the point that you die or have to be emergency evac'd.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    So did KC thru hike last year?
    Curious about this too.

KC - Can you give us a rundown of your hike a it relate to your expectations and outlook from his thread?

Using one's hand is why a large portion of the world consider the left hand as unclean. It is also why we shake hands with our right hand.

Yes you're right about the heavy hikers carrying too much stuff, too many clothes, too much cook stuff, etc. My pack list is crazy.
    But the problem with the UL folks is not about the size/wt. of their packs, It's about their decision to not bring stuff that they really need and expect to "borrow" from other folks, like TP, stove, etc.
    If you need it, bring it, don't ask to use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Yes you're right about the heavy hikers carrying too much stuff, too many clothes, too much cook stuff, etc. My pack list is crazy.
    But the problem with the UL folks is not about the size/wt. of their packs, It's about their decision to not bring stuff that they really need and expect to "borrow" from other folks, like TP, stove, etc.
    If you need it, bring it, don't ask to use mine.
    squeezebox,

That not true about UL folks. I've hike under the 5 pounds for over 25 years. I don't expect or ask to borrow other hikers' stuff. I don't ask and I don't expect. I'm a fond believer in having my own gear to take care of myself.

Yes there are some irresponsible hikers that rely on others. They are not what I would considered as an ultra-light hikers. A few bad nights and hopefully they will learn.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    squeezebox,

That not true about UL folks. I've hike under the 5 pounds for over 25 years. I don't expect or ask to borrow other hikers' stuff. I don't ask and I don't expect. I'm a fond believer in having my own gear to take care of myself.

Yes there are some irresponsible hikers that rely on others. They are not what I would considered as an ultra-light hikers. A few bad nights and hopefully they will learn.

Wolf
    Because this IS in the UL subforum. One, I hate the ultralight label. It make sense when you just say it's under a 10lb baseweight. But it's loosely defined and has no real meaning. I digress, true "ultralighters" carry what they need and nothing more. As Wolf-2300 said, they don't need to borrow a damn thing, unless an emergency or gear failure. But that can happen to anyone. Not carrying TP and never asking for it cause you have other methods. Fine, whatever floats your boat dude. Not bringing TP cause you wanna be so light and cool but actually need it so you mooch off other people. Get the hell out.

I hate how ultralighters are sometimes regarded as mooch's who don't carry toothpaste, tp, a stove, etc. In my mind, true ultralighters are very experienced hikers that have alot of knowledge on how to hike light and be completely self sufficient.

I know people who carry 10lbs of gear that are WAY more prepared than the noobie hiking out with a 25lb baseweight.

Alas, bring what you think you need, then start sending stuff home once you gain experience. I believe that was mentioned already.

And an example of the real ultralight philosphy, well, I just learned by switching my merino beanie to a fleece beanie I saved about an ounce of weight. And I still get to bring a hat. I just switched from my 0.5oz whistle to a lighter, better whistle at 0.15oz.

Figure out what YOU need, then find the lightest solutions to these needs, without compromising your personal safety.

Not going into the woods without a way to start a fire breaks just about every rule of common survival knowledge. That does not mean you need two bic lighters, 20 stormproof matches, a ferro rod, and three pieces of fat wood. After years of hiking, I know carry a mini-bic, a small package of stormproofs in my FAK, and a fresnel mirror in my wallet.

Three ways to start a fire, and together weighs like .6oz or so. I'm prepared.

Greatest thread EVER !!!!

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Toilet paper......underwear come on.....u kidding ......if your that weight conscious u should hit the gym...wipe your arse w leaves and dirt..see how far u make it...without underwear I chafe my legs therefore a few oz of worn weight is lighter than carrying a lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto To this!

Well said FastFox; UL obviously can be done properly by an experienced hiker, it takes time to get to that level of experience. The problem arises when an inexperienced person tries to do UL, doesn't really know what he needs, makes mistakes, and has to be bailed out.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++