WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Good initial post, Kc Fiedler. You are a prime candidate for the UL goon squad. I hereby nominate you as a pledge candidate to the fraternity? I almost cried at you list. I said, here's a guy who "gets it."
    Dogwood, I'm glad I could entertain you I'll wear motley and dance around like a clown for the good squad. But only if the motley is made of Cuben Fiber. Gotta save those ounces! (Facetiousness included with this comment).

*Goon squad...

Journal Entries

Well. I didn't mean to imply you were attacking anyone's much less my own hiking style. What I sort of disagreed with is someone setting down as gospel of the definition of ultralight versus non-ultralight. I will use the metaphor of Fashion Design in France versus Fashion Design elsewhere. France has defined to a point and set into law the definition of Haute Couture. Haute Couture is a little fuzzy outside of the borders of France. Likewise, the definition of Ultralight. What are the limits of Ultralight? Is there a defined gram parameter whereas the addition of toilet paper will put one above and into the realm of a mega-gram over the legal limit? How much over the legal gram limit would subject the offender to being hauled off to return to Springer Mt without passing Go and start all over? Or subject said offender to a shakedown? And the part about using a hand to wipe with...that's just disgusting. No wonder the Norovirus was alive and well on the trail.

I applaud your need to define your idea of the meaning of Ultralight and critique others lack of applying themselves to that definition but until the meaning of Ultralight is codified in the law books, I feel that it will continue to be defined differently from one individual to another.

Beginning a thru hike without your senses will not improve or lighten your pack weight.

This is why I don't shake hands on the trail. This is also why I never eat from another hiker's food bag nor allow them to eat from mine.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Siarl much more digestible post. I understand now that you see the lack of parameters and definition to be a problem. I understand. You're right there is not and never will be a "law book" defining the weight classes of ultralight vs super ultralight vs standard. Speaking generally however if you are looking for guidelines most self proclaimed ultralight hikers will tell you sub 20 is lightweight, approaching 10 is ultralight, and around 5-7 is SUL. Of course these are highly subjective. It's not the specific numbers that matter but rather the philosophy of cutting every spare ounce. While I like and follow this philosophy I do believe it can be taken too far. I am certain no one will disagree with your claim that "senses" are weightless, seems pretty straightforward to me.

Watch out for people who don't take care of their sanitation and hygiene! I couldn't agree more!

Huh,... and I thought the guy hiking in just his underwear carrying only toilet paper really had this whole UL thing figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sno66nj View Post
    Harsh post brah...

HYOH

Hike happy be happy
    A true UL'er doesn't wear a brah.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Yall are getting trolled
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I remember my days in the Infantry and routinely humping with 80-90 pounds. I like my comforts,
    and I have them all at 35-40 pounds and consider that weight to be a luxury!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Yall are getting trolled
    I waited till Sunday. It's Sunday isn't it? Oops - I mean bitch Sunday.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

Common Lightweight or "Ultralight" Mistakes

The biggest mistake of all, is showing the world your meaningless opinions in a pointless, unsolicited post.

Which is what newbies with too much computer time, and too little trail time tend to do.

They make videos too. Why? Eager to share their newly aquired knowledge, not realizing that everyone else already knows it, and more.

There isnt any right way, or wrong way.

The premise of UL is to "Take only what you need".
    That is different for different people, different trips, different locales, different seasons.

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-02-2014 at 08:14.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    ...The biggest mistake of all, is showing the world your meaningless opinions in a pointless, unsolicited post...

The premise of UL is to "Take only what you need".
    That is different for different people, different trips, different locales, different seasons.
    These are excellent points, especially the "unsolicited" part. It took me a long time to learn that unsolicited advice only benefits the person giving it.

But I do understand that when you find what you think is a better way of doing something, you want to shout it out to the world. The only problem is getting people to listen....
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Garlic
    Images

It's interesting TP is such an (t)issue here. On my first lightweight backpacking experience, a PCT thru hike, I thought I was doing well with a sub-15 pound pack. I met a few SUL hikers on that hike, and was amazed at how they could do that. One of them asked me if I had any extra TP, and I obliged off my full roll. He only took six sheets! I learned a little lesson then and started carrying way less TP and that was perhaps the first step that got me, over several years, to under 10 pounds in my pack. From then on, if someone asked me for advice on how to lighten up, I used that example.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

I always take TP. But very little. Its used for the final touch, the polishing, not the dirty work.
    An ounce or so in a ziplock will last me 2 weeks with careful consumption.

It also stays in my pants pocket , because when its needed, its needed now.

KcFielder, your thinking is flawed, your practices are Ultra substandard...Seriously dude, this is basic stuff, not impressed with your weight savings at the expense of possible spreading decease....have you not been paying attention...Norovirus kills people, why take a chance, seriously dude, don't be a butt munch.

...and yep that was two seriously dudes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    If you're posting an Ultralight video or forum post I immediately question your competency when:

1. Toilet paper is on your list
    2. You're hiking the AT and carrying a water filter
    3. You still have underwear in your pack list
    4. Deodorant is in your pack list
    5. All your gear is from one manufacturer
    6. You're carrying a canister or white gas stove (though I recognize both of these stove types have their advantages in certain situations, I concede that)
    7. You have toothpaste in your pack (Dr. Bronners works for hand soap, dish soap, and toothpaste)
    8. You have a water bladder system (arguably worth their weight when carrying huge quantities of water over long distances I.E. desert southwest, I concede)
    9. You're carrying a dedicated pillow
    10. You're still using a sleeping bag instead of a quilt

I recognize that there are exceptions to all of these but you gotta have a really good reason for it. Too many times I've seen self proclaimed ultralight hikers make many of these silly mistakes. Even if you can get your weight down and still carry some or all of these things... ditch them and you'll be much better off. If you're going to call yourself ultralight then go the whole measure. No half measures.

Of course there's no black and white and everyone has their own system. Hike your own hike for sure but I just wanted to list a few amateur "ultralight" mistakes I see all too often.

Stay comfortable, have fun, and count those ounces.
    wow, now you hurt my feelings. Since I violated several of YOUR uL rules, instantly my 8 lb. base is twice as heavy, my shoulder hurt just thinking about it. There was a very lengthy UL definition debate on BPL. It has now been solved. "UL is a 12 lb base AND must meet the approval of KC Fiedler." This is exactly the type of post that gives the UL community the reputation of being snobbish know it alls.

Images

Kc Fielder - I would never claim to be ultralight. I started backpacking in the days of seven pound packs and four pound tents. I'm light but not ultralight. What I don't understand is this. A 240 pound man with a 18 pound kit or a 180 pound man with a 12 pound kit. Is there a difference?

If my 18 pounds dropped to 16 would I even notice? I've known ultralighters with 7 pound kits but at nine would they notice or is the whole thing just the challenge of it. I also don't like it when ultrlighters ask to borrow gear that they don't want to carry. Like advil.

Discuss
    Everything is in Walking Distance

For those using Dr. Bronners as "toothpaste", what were the results after a 4-6 month hike based on what a dentist had to say? For both teeth and gums? With dental care costing a fortune these days, I'd rather carry a few ounces to have actual toothpaste and a brush if the alternative is a $1500 bill for a gum graft plus a few hundred for fillings.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

One thing that gets me is when someone does not bring TP, stove, maps, enough food, or water, filter etc. and then asks to use someone else's . Live with your decision to go lightweight, or fix the problem. I use Tipi's system of paper towels to wash not just wipe at home. I will use paper towels or a dedicated 1/2 sq. ft. of chamois. Clean helps you from getting sick.

Images

luckily this thread gave the OP a chance to brag and show superiority. sorry, but if cutting weight weight makes me a member of that "group" i would rather add 30 lbs and be in Tipi's tribe.

PS. KcF please justify your hammock. ground may be a few grams less.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++