WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    You got that right. I actually met a young man in the 100 mile wilderness who was carrying no food so he could finish faster. He would stop at camps and shelters and beg for food. Does that count as HYOH?
    Certainly seems like the was hiking his own hike to me. Also seems like a really bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Why is it that "hike your own hike" usually either precedes or follows a judgmental statement? It's kind of like knowing what follows when someone says "with all due respect".
    I have been noticing the same thing, not just on this thread. HYOH seems to be used with benevolent intentions often, but it also gets put up like a shield (or sword) sometimes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Thank you for pointing out my "mistakes", I carry everything but 2, 5 and 9 on your list.
    You're welcome. If you haven't tried some of the alternatives you should give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Kc,

You're most likely one of those ultra-lighters that insists on taking a crap before they start each day of hiking for fear of having to carry the **** in your ass for all those miles and you tank up before you start hiking b/c you won't carry anything since there is so many water sources along the way. You probably don't carry a towel either to clean your self every day, so remind me to sleep on the other side of the shelter if I know you'll be there.
    I carry water between sources, tho I often check the distances to see if I will need 1 or 2 L. I take a dump whenever my bowel movement is necessary, holding feces in can lead to fecal impactions I wouldn't suggest anyone hold it in. I carry half a micro towel for various uses including washing up but I don't do that every day, it's unnecessary for me. A little Dr. B's under the arms and over the face is refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    AMEN!!! Happened to me too many times that the so called gram weenies are happy to be carrying so little weight, but are the biggest whiners when it comes to needing something they decided wasn't important enough to carry, so they have to ask others to provide.
    If people are cutting their weight so much that they're leaving behind necessary items that falls into irresponsible and dangerous hiking. Be it ultralight, weekender, or any other kind of backpacker. Leaving behind critical gear is just bad form, I'd be upset with them too.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    What can one say? I talked like that when I was 23, and both my kids did, I think it goes with the age.

Anyway, "mistakes" or carefully considered, weighed decisions? I think you (op) need to get a tad more experience before you call others' techniques "mistakes". For each of you list of 10 "mistakes", I could respond, but there would be no point in that, but I will mention a few.

TP: are you kidding? 1 tiny little ounce is a lot of TP and it lasts me a week. It doesn't take a whole lot of careful consideration to spend an ounce of weight to keep my fingers out of my bum.

Quilt: tried it, I really did try it, but it just doesn't work for my as I'm a side sleeper and flip-flopper. I borrowed my pal's 16 ounce quilt, didn't work, so I use my much warmer 22 ounce 30 degree sleeping bag. Yes, 6 extra ounce is very significant, but sleep is too important to cut that 6 ounces.

Canister stoves: At least you consider this, but I have to say one more time that if you are a big hot water user like myself (6-7 cups of hot water a day), the Jetboil Ti stove is far, far more efficient for 4+ days of un-resupplied hiking than alcohol. I've thoroughly experimented and run the numbers many times, I keep hoping I can save some weight, but it just doesn't work with alcohol.

Toothpaste: I carry about 1/3rd of an ounce of toothpaste that lasts a month. Again, I'll suck up 1/3rd of an ounce for this "luxury". Soap? I carry another 1/3rd of an ounce of a partial mini-bar. WHY do you do dishes???????????? Big "mistake". I have no dishes to do, just one UL coffee cup that I rinse after morning coffee and evening tea.

Underwear: Wow, given your take on TP I sure wouldn't want to see the inside of your shorts, buddy. Yikes!!!!!!!! I do choose to not wear underwear most of the time, but sure do like it at other times, 3 ounces of bliss when I want it.

Bottom line: grow up, get some real experience before you bash others.
    You have some good material in this post in between your attacks on me.

Let's start with TP. I get my butt cleaned just as well without TP as I do with it. I have a lot of experience with this method and have had the pleasure of learning from other backpackers (many of whom carry a 40-50lb pack and still use this method). It's more LNT friendly which is important to some people. I have never once accidentally gotten a finger in my bum, but I guess that might be a problem for some people.

I too am a side sleeper when on the ground, I feel your pain there. I haven't had a problem yet with quits not working even when on my side but I can understand why you made the switch back to a bag.

I completely agree that a canister stove will be more efficient at 6-7 cups a day over 4+ days. You seem to be on the right track.

I don't do dishes because I freezer bag cook. However I spend most summers guiding backpacking trips professionally (yes, I'm implying it is my career) and dishes are a part of group backpacking trips. I also don't carry ultralight gear on guided trips, I carry my old Osprey Aether 60 and contribute to helping the group carry all of the gear. Which, by the way, often involves me stuffing a fry-bake into my bag or being responsible for the group med kit which often exceeds 4-5lbs of gear. I know how to pull my weight.

Also congratulations on not having to do dishes yourself, I hate doing dishes as I'm sure you do if you've tried it. It's annoying.

I won't ever show you the inside of my shorts, no worries.

I'm working on growing up, but you can't rush these things they say.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    thanks for sharing your wisdom. I doubt we have any other posters here with credentials like that.
    I, for one, am impressed.

What can one say? I talked like that when I was 23, and both my kids did, I think it goes with the age.
    Funny how about the time I hit 30 or so, my Dad somehow seemed wiser, more intelligent and had things worth listening to.

Bottom line: grow up, get some real experience before you bash others.
    Indeed. A few hundred miles on the Appalachian Trail in three season conditions is certainly fun, rewarding and a great way to spend some time. But it is a limited base line of experience.

Besides, weight labels are just guidelines and best for internet discussion only. (Yeah..another linked article because the S.O.S. comes up all the time )
    Last edited by Mags; 02-02-2014 at 12:14.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Even though I meet all 10 of your UL "requirements" for being "competent" to post on UL forums and might entertain a targeted UL discussion regarding your "10 holier than though UL Commandments" YES you do come off as a harshly judgmental and cocky ULer elitist. That's coming from someone who is an advanced ULer himself. The way you're communicating here isn't going to garner you many serious responses other than getting people into a frenzy who don't share you're hiking philosophy. Did you even bother posting in the UL Forum or in a forum with Straight Forward UL discussions or on a website specifically geared to UL?
    Dogwood, you're right the original post did come off the wrong way. I tried to find the UL section on here but didn't stumble across it, one of many mistakes I see. The way I'm communicating here is to provide real responses to aggressive comments. Though as I admitted the initial post clearly was more harsh than I intended. I have not posted this thread anywhere but here.

Thanks for moving it.

No problem. I guessed at what you were really trying to do from the get go but we all stub our toe at times(me too, MANY times!) and it seems you did a good job of that possibly more than once.

No problem. I guessed at what you were really trying to do from the get go but we all stub our toe at times(me too, MANY times!) and it seems you did a good job of that possibly more than once.
    I stand accused. Though I tend to do so metaphorically more than physically. Thanks for assuming my intentions were altruistic.

Images

Common Lightweight or "Ultralight" Mistakes" I meet them every year, obsessed about your choices not theirs. Then comes the nagging, hey I got a blister anyone got a pin? I need a band aid anybody got one? I am a little short on food anybody got any extra? I got stung by a bee any one got any Benadryl? Hey I got a hangnail can I use "your" clippers? I got something in my eye, anyone got a mirror. Most folks will bend over backwards to help those in need, but remember after several hundred miles of the constant bragging of how light they are. My answer is yes I have what you need but I brought it for me, I carried it for me and you need to carry your 10 lb pack to the nearest town and buy your own, after all you are "only" 15 miles from the nearest road. I sure hope you never get the runs in the snow! and by the way have you ever done a "long distance" hike, not just out for the week?

I'm 23 too and I bet my UL gear is better than yours.

Just kidding.

-

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    Why is it that "hike your own hike" usually either precedes or follows a judgmental statement? It's kind of like knowing what follows when someone says "with all due respect".
    it is the hiker version of the redneck: "just sayin" that follows a racist/ sexist/ etc comment

people think it is a get out of jail card for being opinionated

in my world excuses are not needed, so I do not use the qualifiers (except in satire)

Quote Originally Posted by RedBeerd View Post
    I'm 23 too and I bet my UL gear is better than yours.

Just kidding.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it is, I'm still working on mine and doubt that I'll ever be the lightest base weight (that's not my goal).

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    it is the hiker version of the redneck: "just sayin" that follows a racist/ sexist/ etc comment

people think it is a get out of jail card for being opinionated

in my world excuses are not needed, so I do not use the qualifiers (except in satire)
    I think you're right that there are phrases people use as "get out of jail free cards". You can't just say anything you want and then throw in "sorry" and expect it to be cool.

I realize I used HYOH in my original post, and while the post its self clearly was more harsh than I wanted it to be I genuinely included HYOH to show my respect for other people's choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Aw heck, the thread got moved from General to Ultralight---now I'll be kicked off.
    Tipi why would you get kicked off? You're welcome to discuss here.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    Common Lightweight or "Ultralight" Mistakes" I meet them every year, obsessed about your choices not theirs
    there we go - that about sums up all the mistakes be it gear, milage, religion or whatever

-

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    obviously you know little about the members here , if you think Tipi is going to be involved in a light weight thread

You don't control that.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    there we go - that about sums up all the mistakes be it gear, milage, religion or whatever
    You're both right. Caring about other people's choices gear, mileage, or religion-wise is a mistake. I'd add that to my list but I can't edit it. So instead I'll add it to my mental list.

-

No problem. I guessed at what you were really trying to do from the get go
    cough, cough .. troll... cough

Images

I wouldn't be surprised if it is, I'm still working on mine and doubt that I'll ever be the lightest base weight (that's not my goal).
    You say above that your goal is not to have the lowest base weight yet you have a full list "judging" others that have the exact same goal of not have the lightest base weight and point out all the variations between what they are doing and the lightest possible. Do you not see how inconsistent you have been on this thread?

does anyone have an Advil, my head hurts from trying to follow the logic. I would have one but I'm one of those wascally ULers that has to bum off others.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    You say above that your goal is not to have the lowest base weight yet you have a full list "judging" others that have the exact same goal of not have the lightest base weight and point out all the variations between what they are doing and the lightest possible. Do you not see how inconsistent you have been on this thread?

does anyone have an Advil, my head hurts from trying to follow the logic. I would have one but I'm one of those wascally ULers that has to bum off others.
    Agreed inconsistent. Agreed thread should have not used the word "mistake".

-

Agreed inconsistent. Agreed thread should have not used the word "mistake".
    pay the 10$ and you can edit

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++