WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cook set for two?

Any suggestions for a good setup for two. Would like to incorporate the Snow Peak Coffee Press. Maybe just add a couple double wall mugs? I currently use a alcohol stove. Would that be efficient enough to heat water for coffee and FBC? I have a Snow Peak Giga Power I could use too.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you want a single pot large enough for two to share, I've loved the MSR Quick 1 Pot, a titanium pot that I don't think is getting made anymore.
    Another option is the Snow Peak Trek 700,900,1400 which can nest inside one another if you want a multiple pots.

+1 on Snowpeak products. Personally I use a snowpeak 600 or 700 with a 0.5oz Tupperware bowel that fits on the bottom of my pots for solo hikes. If i'm bringing my daughter or GF just add another 0.5oz Tupperware bowel and its more then enough assuming you are using it for dehydrated meals and freezer bag cooking. If you think you need a bigger pot a 900 would be more than enough.

For FBC, I like the GSI Kettle. Can't cook in it (easily), but it will efficiently boil water. For "cooking", try the KMart grease pot, which is plenty big enough for two. I'm waiting on this Evernew set that I'm going to try this year. This should also be big enough for two, but they do make a slightly larger 1.3 liter set.

Journal Entries

I find that the Jetboil Sol is very well suited for 2 people, more so then just one. The efficiency and speed and no-nonsense get it done approach really helps here, while the weight is effectively halved per person. They also make a coffee press however perhaps your current one will work with it.

Wood stove also worked very well (Qi-wiz's firefly) when you had good conditions for it, but a backup is needed.

Garlic
    Images

My wife and, before we went stoveless, used to share a 1.3L pot and one mug on our alky stove. It was a minimalist way to go, but it worked for us on the PCT. Neither of us drink coffee, and we used it for one one-pot meal per day.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

My man carries a JetBoil Sol, and I carry an alcohol stove and .8L pot/lid combo.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

One person carries a 1-1.5 liter pot and the other carries a small titanium bowl. I like to have the second person with metal instead of plastic so if god forbid we get split up then they can build a campfire and still cook.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If you want a single pot large enough for two to share, I've loved the MSR Quick 1 Pot, a titanium pot that I don't think is getting made anymore.
    Another option is the Snow Peak Trek 700,900,1400 which can nest inside one another if you want a multiple pots.
    I have an older model of the MSR titanium and it's perfect for two people at 2 liters.

It doesn't even need a pot handle as the titanium stays cool to the touch around the rim. For 2 people (even for one person), I recommend minimalism when it comes to the backpacking kitchen---keep it very simple, thereby avoiding water waste for cleanup or butt cold fingers during cleanup at 0F. Pot and spoon, period.

No need for ladles or rollable cutting boards or spatulas or insulated mugs or cups or forks or plastic plates or all the rest. It's not a Bed Breakfast and Beyond convention.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    My man carries a JetBoil Sol, and I carry an alcohol stove and .8L pot/lid combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    One person carries a 1-1.5 liter pot and the other carries a small titanium bowl. I like to have the second person with metal instead of plastic so if god forbid we get split up then they can build a campfire and still cook.
    Here's a cool idea for those that like alcohol stoves... each person carries their own alcohol stove and fuel. The only added weight is a 2nd stove and 2nd bottle (because between the two of you, you still need the same total amount of alcohol). That way, you can cook at the same time if you want, you can each cook if you get separated, and you have a fully redundant system should anything happen to one of the stoves.

The only problem I see with Hot Flash's setup is that both systems (JetBoil and alcohol stove) only allows you to boil water.

If you want an even more flexible system, purchase a canister stove like the Snow Peak LiteMax and the Olicamp XTS pot. The combination of the LiteMax/XTS weight is about the same as the JetBoil Sol, the cost is a little bit less, and you still get the built in heat-exchanger fins for more fuel efficiency. But the LiteMax/XTS option gives you a better choice if you want to simmer or do other cooking tasks besides just boil water.

About the only down side I can see with substituting LiteMax/XTS for the JetBoil is the JetBoil attaches to the stove and therefore provides a little bit more stability that the LiteMax/XTS. The JetBoil might also be a little bit more efficient since it's been designed as a system, but the LiteMax/XTS combo will still be better than a 'regular' pot.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 02-04-2014 at 13:57.

Section Hiker

I have a GSI pinnacle dualist. Leave the sporks and two of the bowls or cups at home, or all of them if you're eating out of bags. I use the pot, lid, sometimes one bowl; and my entire kitchen packs up into that pot including my fuel, rag, lighter, fire starter material, bear bag stuff, and collapsible rubber cup.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I like the Evernew 1.3 L pot when I cook for two people. Whatever pot you use, you should test your alcohol stove with it to make sure the stove puts out enough heat for the amount of water you will want to heat. I found that a Caldera Cone setup works best for me, but I was successful with a DIY penny stove before I discovered the Cone. Many alcohol stoves that work great for 2 cups of water in a pot will not do the job with 4 cups of water. YMMV.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post

The only problem I see with Hot Flash's setup is that both systems (JetBoil and alcohol stove) only allows you to boil water.

Which is all we ever need to rehydrate our bagged meals or make tea/coffee.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Which is all we ever need to rehydrate our bagged meals or make tea/coffee.
    Sorry if I seemed to be putting down your "system". Wasn't my intent because I actually admired it. It's just that I suddenly realized there is a way to take your great setup and add additional flexibility for those that want to do more.

Thanks for all the responses. Some great ideas to discuss with the GF.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I also use and love my GSI pinnacle dualist.

Duelist is fantastic.
    "Truth is anything you can convince someone else to believe" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I like the Evernew 1.3 L pot when I cook for two people. Whatever pot you use, you should test your alcohol stove with it to make sure the stove puts out enough heat for the amount of water you will want to heat. I found that a Caldera Cone setup works best for me, but I was successful with a DIY penny stove before I discovered the Cone. Many alcohol stoves that work great for 2 cups of water in a pot will not do the job with 4 cups of water. YMMV.
    I use this pot (Evernew 1.3L) for 2 people most of the time. Usually use a Snow Peak canister stove w/ it. Occasionally, I'll use my GSI Micro-Dualist for 2 people. Way back, I used the MSR Titanium 2L pot for two people. Much bigger than I really needed, though.

Journal Entries
    Images

GSI Dualist.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

How about something like this.

The kit weighs 6 oz. Includes storage container that is used as 2 bowls to hold freezer bags of food while pouring hot water into bags.

Aluminum flat bottom Conquistador pot that has 3 cup capacity with ample headroom to prevent boil over.

25ml of denatured alcohol as fuel.

3 cups of water water boiled at approximately 11-1/2 minutes for all 3 tests. Water continued to boil for another 2-1/2 minutes.

Starting water temperature 60 degrees, air temp 50 degree.

Stove is a large version of the StarLyte Stove that has the spill proof safety feature.

Kit contains Conquistador pot 3 cup capacity, 6" windscreen, large StarLyte stove with integrated pot support and storage container

Everything fits inside storage container with plenty room left over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++