Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I think this is a great question, I would approach this situation the same way you would in a bar/pub environment in any location-take the drink, thank them, ask them their favorite football team and then move back to your circle of friends because when I was in my mid 20's, going to grad school and living in Chicago that was how it was done!.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Just sayin, this maroon color is pretty intense for the feminine side, could it be changed to hiker-pink?

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    I think this is a great question, I would approach this situation the same way you would in a bar/pub environment in any location-take the drink, thank them, ask them their favorite football team and then move back to your circle of friends because when I was in my mid 20's, going to grad school and living in Chicago that was how it was done!
    Yeah... this sounds about right.

Some people seem to think this will eventually get me raped. Then there's insinuations that I'm going to be sleeping my way up the trail. (Conversely I'm also taking advantage of guys and sucking their wallets dry if I accept a drink or two. No pun intended.) Oh, and I'm dressing a little too ****ty if I'm offered a drink. (Forgive me for mentioning this Slo-go'en. I know you didn't mean it like that. Everything is taken out of context.)

I do think I'm going to be a bit more careful.... I don't like the idea of running into a creepy guy I rebuffed. I'm a little scared about being out in the middle of nowhere with no one but my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    still she may roll snake eyes on the very first roll.human behaviour is less predictable than even a single roll of the dice.also, i would think her instincts,her radar, will improve with length of time on the trail, and her support network will continue to build over time(trail families "looking out for each other')imho, would make the event less likely over time.my contention is random is just that-random.
    Chances are 35 out of 36 she won't on a fair throw of two six sided dice. Behavior has nothing to do with that. Just because something is random doesn't mean we can't pick a winning strategy. On the contary, that's what probability theory is for. I'll bet you $20 you can't roll snake eyes on a fair pair of two six sided dice. You give me one dollar if you don't. I'll play you a 100 times.

It doesn't matter if she learns, has a bodyguard or any changes in the probability of meeting a creep fom offer to offer. This is the statement being discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    ... The more frequently one engages in a risky behavior the greater the risk becomes to have a negative outcome.

The person places herself at "risk" x times. There's only one path to that point, whether or not probabilities changed at each offer. When you start to consider how the two compare that path is part of both scenarios. You pick ahead of time what two points you want to compare. Four and seven say. There is more risk at 7 then 4 because you if you stop at four, you incur no more risk. You can't set different scenarios for the first four offers under the stop at four and the first four under stop at seven. You would have to alter time.

The risk can be mitigated of course and it may not be significant anyway.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    Yeah... this sounds about right.

Some people seem to think this will eventually get me raped. Then there's insinuations that I'm going to be sleeping my way up the trail. (Conversely I'm also taking advantage of guys and sucking their wallets dry if I accept a drink or two. No pun intended.) Oh, and I'm dressing a little too ****ty if I'm offered a drink. (Forgive me for mentioning this Slo-go'en. I know you didn't mean it like that. Everything is taken out of context.)

I do think I'm going to be a bit more careful.... I don't like the idea of running into a creepy guy I rebuffed. I'm a little scared about being out in the middle of nowhere with no one but my dog.
    Don't let the math scare you. Just be careful is all you should take home from that exercise. Bad stuff occasionally happens but bad things happen in cities too. It's the ticks you've got to worry about.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries

I saw this under general questions on the right side so I'll respond and hopefully not upset the female only group, you are 25 and plan to hike with a Dog ;therefore an Adult full grown responsible for herself and her pup . So act like it. Buy your own food and drinks and more important take care of the Dog at ALL Times.

For every creepy guy, there are 99 who have your back. The reality is your treated like a sister or daugther depending on the age difference or just one of the guys. On the trail, your family.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    For every creepy guy, there are 99 who have your back. The reality is your treated like a sister or daugther depending on the age difference or just one of the guys. On the trail, your family.
    This was my impression in 2012. I believe that the age of the individual around you is a factor. We of ......<ahem>....... a certain age, tend to look at the ladies a bit differently (more protective) than the young pups. Generally speaking, of course. Culture and upbringing play a large role.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

All jokes aside, people really do seem to be better on the trail compared to a major city. On the trail, I can say hello to anyone and it is perceived as a friendly gesture. In a city, few make eye contact let alone have conversations with people they meet while walking on the street.

I do think that everyone, not just women, should be more careful near roads and in towns and that it is risky behavior for a woman to accept drinks and food from complete strangers. There is a difference between hikers who have known each other on the trail buying each other rounds of drinks or picking up the tab for food and a woman accepting food and drinks from a total stranger in some random small town bar.

Just use common sense and have a great hike.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Wink

I'm 25 and planning for a 2015 NOBO hike with as little as possible town stays (because of my dog.) However, when I do find myself hanging out in a town, what's the likelihood of getting free drinks or dinners from guys??

And if it's as often as city life, then should I take the offer at all? Since it's a contained microcosm I worry about assumptions being made.

A stupid, immeasurable, frivolous question that'll probably make me unpopular. Women hikers being awesome and independent and all.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    Nothing wrong with accepting a friendly offer, most hikers are nice folks. I would not advise using guys just to get free stuff though. Nobody likes to be used.

Images

I'm ok with being used.

Journal Entries
    Images

When fellow hikers that you've been hiking with for days or weeks get to know you & offer you a drink or a meal, gladly accept with a toast. When you walk into a sketchy trail town establishment & someone you don't know offers you either & you're not with your trail friends, I'd say respectfully decline & split. Unfortunately there have been some mysterious hikers found dead in their tents who have been rumored to co-mingle in too many local activities. Have a Great Hike & use your gut. This thread made me think of a question. Question: is the word Troll gender neutral?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++