Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Not getting into the original post, although it does remind me of and old Eagles song

I know just posting this is hypocritical, but why in the world do so many guys post in this forum? Are there not enough other places to post?
    Nature abhors a vacuum.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    any poor guy who offered to buy her a drink probably ended up with some man parts hanging from a nail on the wall of the bar
    I guess that would depend on the circumstance.....not all feminists are militant. However, if it were a "Larry the Lounge Lizard" scenario I imagine you'd be right. I was actually referring to the term "chick" being resurrected. I thought it had died an ignominious death in '73...or around there. The drink-buying thing I just had to ignore.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Don't let all these judgmental grumps get you down, OP....a bar is a bar. Trust your gut and go with your instincts, just like you would anywhere else. If you want to let a guy buy you a drink, go for it. HYOH should be interpreted as, "screw what other people think".

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    Don't let all these judgmental grumps get you down, OP....a bar is a bar. Trust your gut and go with your instincts, just like you would anywhere else. If you want to let a guy buy you a drink, go for it. HYOH should be interpreted as, "screw what other people think".

Good point....my bad. Assuming you're willing to deal with the consequences of your choices, who are any of to naysay. I completely, totally and utterly disagree with the idea that this is even an issue, but it's not my hike. Have fun.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Sara has the best reply of all... she definitely already has her big girl panties on!
    +1...............

We all know what guys are after when they buy a "chick" drinks and meals. If you are not interested in going there with that guy , don't accept the drinks, food. That's pretty much the contract. The AT is about comraderie not a singles bar. Read the thread about creepy guys, just insert "creepy city chicks" where ever the term creepy guys come up. Some day you might come across a guy that will take his payment for buying you drinks and dinner if you want to put out or not.
    Dangerous way to be.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    We all know what guys are after when they buy a "chick" drinks and meals. If you are not interested in going there with that guy , don't accept the drinks, food. That's pretty much the contract. The AT is about comraderie not a singles bar. Read the thread about creepy guys, just insert "creepy city chicks" where ever the term creepy guys come up. Some day you might come across a guy that will take his payment for buying you drinks and dinner if you want to put out or not.

Dangerous way to be.

Sorry I have to jump in here. Accepting a drink or meal from anyone is not now nor will ever be a "contract" for anything. That is a very ignorant way of thinking.

Urban Dictionary defines "Yogi-ing" as the art of politely gathering food from other hikers and/or campers by means of conversation without actually asking for it. If one asks for the food and/or drink, it is no longer yogi-ing. How any hiker (male or female) applies those guidelines is based on her skills at conversation, persuasion, and basic human chemistry. The large majority of men hikers being awesome and independent and all.

Images

If you carry my pack I will buy you all the drinks you like, not weird, happily married..........

Journal Entries
    Images

yeah, you are right, stupid question.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

If you can't buy yo self a drank you aint walkin fer I'm a thinkin.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    We all know what guys are after when they buy a "chick" drinks and meals.
    Could it be he wants to try on those big girl panties?
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Could it be he wants to try on those big girl panties?
    Believe I could just go buy a pair cheaper than I could get a drink or a meal along the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    PLease, someone offer the link to HashBrown's article on "Creepy Dudes on the Trail."
    Yes... I just read that. Properly creeped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I guess that would depend on the circumstance.....not all feminists are militant. However, if it were a "Larry the Lounge Lizard" scenario I imagine you'd be right. I was actually referring to the term "chick" being resurrected. I thought it had died an ignominious death in '73...or around there. The drink-buying thing I just had to ignore.
    Oh, I used the word "chick" for alliteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    If you carry my pack I will buy you all the drinks you like, not weird, happily married..........
    Hmm.... Tempting, but no thank you.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I'll be a bit more moderate while on the tail than I'm used to in the comfort of my own neighborhood. From polling you all I can see it's best not to trust hikers and their intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I'll be a bit more moderate while on the tail than I'm used to in the comfort of my own neighborhood. From polling you all I can see it's best not to trust hikers and their intentions.
    Trust yourself "on the tail".

best thread ever

I'm glad you found the help you needed, Sierra2015! Good deal on reading Hashbrown's article. I agree with the poll, as well.

I bet you learned another thing... just b/c you post in the female forum doesn't mean the guys won't chime in. LOL They only leave us alone when we talk about tampons etc.. ha ha!!

Oh dear God....

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Trust yourself "on the tail".

Trail* obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    I'm glad you found the help you needed, Sierra2015! Good deal on reading Hashbrown's article. I agree with the poll, as well.

I bet you learned another thing... just b/c you post in the female forum doesn't mean the guys won't chime in. LOL They only leave us alone when we talk about tampons etc.. ha ha!!
    Yes! For sure learned something.

From polling you all I can see it's best not to trust hikers and their intentions.
    Actually the responders misrepresented most thru-hikers. I would guess that you can trust the vast majority of thru-hikers. Actually when I first read your post it sounded, at least to me, that you were looking for freebies (i.e food/drink) and I was surprised that more didn't hammer you about free-loading as they did one poster recently that initially appeared to be doing the same thing. But, I obviously didn't understand your initial post.......
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++