Default Trail safety- husband concerned

I'm waiting to begin a thru hike in mid/late April. I know I will not make it the entire way because of family commitments, but plan on making it as far as I can. My husband is very concerned about me starting and being alone. He'd like to join for a section hike, but it would be a week to two at the most. I have started planning and will start gathering gear. It's something I've waited to do for years and just hate to keep putting it of until xyz. I have explained hiker groups form, but he's worried I guess that It won't happen or that I will still be mostly alone during the hikes in the daytime if something happened, which I understand. I'd be upset if he wasn't worried about me, lol. So how many women start out thru hiking? I've tried asking around and can't find anyone that is willing to do it- I get a lot of, Oh yes that would fun to do for a week or in the future. So anyone starting mid/late April? I was originally going to do a two week section with my husband, but I'd rather do closer to at least 2 months.

Images

By mid April several hikers both male & female will start from Springer everyday. You will not be alone. If something does happen, do not attempt to leave the trail just sit there and someone will come by offering help. Some shelters will have possibly 20-30 hikers there during the spring rush....

I wondered how late April would be, seems like everyone on forums begins mid March!

I've been out hiking the Springer area a lot over the last several years in May. Seems like on every hike I've run into people starting thru hikes even that late. Wheather they actually finish is another story.

Elray and his wife Luckycharm are starting up the approach trail April 8, my guess is you'll never be alone! Good luck!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Have your husband start at Springer with you. After a few days you'll be in with a group and he'll be comfortable with them.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I'll be starting April 14 so I'll probably see you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Have your husband start at Springer with you. After a few days you'll be in with a group and he'll be comfortable with them.
    I like this advice!

Section Hiker

All good advice, and if you're going to be on trail for some time, you might look into this: http://www.inreachdelorme.com/. It's a 2-way satellite communicator/gps. I picked one up this winter, had it out on an overnight in January, and will be using it on weekend/section hikes. It is a little expensive (buy from someplace you get money back) and you do need a service plan, but the peace of mind may be worth it especially when you have family worried about you. From what I hear about thru hiker season, you may not need something like this, but at the times the trails I'm on are not busy.

One thing to remember is that it is first a communicator/safety device (includes an SOS button), so the GPS map capabilities aren't the same as just a GPS unit. It has a learning curve but like with anything new, once you get it it's not hard! It does integrate nicely with the smart phone (iPhone for me) though and the maps are very detailed. The unit allows you to send your own pre-set texts or emails, which don't count toward your monthly total, or you can send custom texts/emails which do count toward your total. So far, all my messages have gotten where they need to go.

Have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I am ready to just go and do it. Like yourself, I cannot do the entire thing. Want to start in April and go as far as time and legs allow. I will prob start solo, and realize, we will not be alone.
    Just ignore it

You will not be alone for long on the AT going NOBO starting in mid/late April! You will quickly find others that you can share a mutually trustful plutonic relationship with! Use your female wits! THINK. Do NOT be paralyzed by an irrational amount of fear. Your hubby and you need to understand you'll be on the AT, one of the most popular trails in the world, hiking during a busy time of the yr when many people are using the trail NOT in Alaska bushwacking. Your hubby and you need to understand the AT hiking community tends to look out for it's own! You'll have ample opportunity to give him a call every few days. Bring a SPOT or Satellite ph if it makes the two of you more comfortable although IMHO you will not need that on the AT if you agree to call every few days using a cell or pay ph. I like the idea of having your husband and you enjoying some AT time together hiking so the two of you can get a better feel what you will be experiencing when he's not there.

There are lots of married woman hiking solo on the AT. Hiking solo does not mean hiking alone. Your not venturing out into some forsaken wilderness.

It's not an issue of him concerned for your safety, it's that he doesn't want to cook and clean house for himself
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I have been hiking big chunks of the trail each year starting in 2011. Last year I even met Slo-go'en at Mountain Harbor B&B! I love hiking alone but camping alone is by personal choice, there are plenty of people around. I carry a plain Tracphone and call my husband from ridgetops just about every day.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

After a few section hikes with my 22-year old only daughter who is still somewhat naive to the world at large, I told her that I would be comfortable with her taking on a solo thru-hike should she ever be interested (or at least once she gets more comfortable with setting up camp!). My take is that she would be safer in the woods hiking with people similar to her that she ran into than she is living and working in a city. Lots of young (and quite a few older) women are out there and do just fine. Of course, there is risk everywhere in life, but I do not view an AT hike as having excessive risk.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

++ New Posts ++