Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gear Questions!

What Just Bill said.
    I hiked for years without poles. They are nice to have but if I had a choice between hiking an extra 100 miles or having trekking poles, the trekking poles are out. (That is, unless I need them for my tent. But again, on a budget, I'm using a tarp, not a tent.) Prior injuries may change this calculus.

Boot/shoes: Buy cheap trail runners, running shoes, or sandals on sale.

Fleece. Cheap and effective for the weight. I just picked up a fleece for $9.99 at L.L. Bean's end-of-season clearance. Thrift stores are good sources too. They can be bulkier than other options so like always, purchase the pack last.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

RE: Trekking Poles. Take this for what it's worth.
    I bought a pair of Komperdell poles from Sierra Trading Post back in the Dark Ages. The poles, or more exactly the pole in my right hand, saved me from a serious fall under the weight of my loaded Dana Design Terraplane backpack. Probably saved me from a broken ankle-leg-knee at best or even worse. The pole in question was unblemished. I was also unblemished.
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kom...colorFamily=99

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Or these. Mine are similar to both. They work when you need them.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kom...colorFamily=99

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Rachmish, I realize this thread is older but if you are still searching for cheaper poles, I have an option for you.
    I have an older pair of Black Diamond Traverse ski poles (2007). They are two piece poles that extend to 57 inches and close to 37 inches. They're pretty big - that is they would be difficult to close and strap onto a pack. As ski poles, they feel about as heavy as Komperdell hiking poles - on the heavier end. I used them mostly on snow and ice and very little on trail surfaces - the tips are in good shape. The paint job is scratched. If you want them, they are yours for the cost of shipping. I was going to sell them on Craigslist. I'm heading out on a trip now but can take pictures later.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    Rachmish, I realize this thread is older but if you are still searching for cheaper poles, I have an option for you.
    I have an older pair of Black Diamond Traverse ski poles (2007). They are two piece poles that extend to 57 inches and close to 37 inches. They're pretty big - that is they would be difficult to close and strap onto a pack. As ski poles, they feel about as heavy as Komperdell hiking poles - on the heavier end. I used them mostly on snow and ice and very little on trail surfaces - the tips are in good shape. The paint job is scratched. If you want them, they are yours for the cost of shipping. I was going to sell them on Craigslist. I'm heading out on a trip now but can take pictures later.
    Super nice of you, Merry!

Thank you everyone for the responses! I ended up buying a cheap fleece from macy's with a random gift card I found... I also decided with the cheap trekking poles from Walmart, they seem to do well so far! You are all wonderful! Thank you!

Default it doesn't need to be expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Rachmish View Post
    Hey everyone!

My girlfriend and I are planning on section hiking for 4 months this summer, starting in May!
    I was wondering (since we are broke graduate college students) what are some cheap options for...

Trekking Poles
    Boots/Shoes (trail runners)
    Synthetic jacket/warm jacket
    Waterproof bags

We have everything else, and spent most of our money on the other essentials... I was just wondering also, since we are hiking so late in the summer, if we would need a synthetic jacket? Or if something like a cheap fleece would work just as well!

Thanks!!!

Trekking pole = buy a moppin broom <$ 10, get rid of the mopping part, go with a pole. Odissa did just fine with that.
    Boots/shoes = buy a pair of keds. Well, they aren't cheap these days, but they're endorsed by Grandma Gatewood
    Warm Jacket = I guess you've bought it already. Anything in fleece will do.
    Waterproof bags = Black 45 gallon trash bags. Cut holes to your liking and you'd be fine.

It ain't gear that walks the walk, but you.

Love,
    Elkie

Once you cross the bar of your fiftieth year, you will find trekking poles a great blessing and great protector of the knees and ankles. For dayhikes I carry one pole; two for overnighters. I read somewhere that two poles decreases the load on your legs, but increases the caloric output, because your arms are working too. Also you can tap a pole on rocks and downed logs to let the snakes know you are coming through.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! I ended up going with some cheap pairs from walmart, so far they seem pretty good!

Thank you all!

Trekking Poles - (1) sticks available in the woods for free. It is what I used when I was in Boy Scouts until I upgraded to (2) used garage sale x-cross ski poles.

Boots/Shoes (trail runners) - don't skimp here.

Synthetic jacket/warm jacket - really? you live a MI and don't already own one these. I am willing to be there is something already in your closet. If not Goodwill has some really cheap.

Waterproof bags - supermarket. if you need big ones get trash bag liners; if you need small ones go for zip locks.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachmish View Post
    Hey everyone!

My girlfriend and I are planning on section hiking for 4 months this summer, starting in May!
    I was wondering (since we are broke graduate college students) what are some cheap options for...

Trekking Poles
    Boots/Shoes (trail runners)
    Synthetic jacket/warm jacket
    Waterproof bags

We have everything else, and spent most of our money on the other essentials... I was just wondering also, since we are hiking so late in the summer, if we would need a synthetic jacket? Or if something like a cheap fleece would work just as well!

Thanks!!!
    If you are buying new gear, I have the following recommendations, per you query:

1. Poles-$20 is as cheap as I have found them. You can save the sales tax and are ahead with free shipping if you buy them online. Wal-Mart carries Outdoor Products poles for $20. Target carries New Balance poles for $22.50, if you are doing brick-and-mortar.

2. Boots/Shoes/TrailRunners-This is one area where fit and function are far more important than price, IMHO. We encountered a hiker at Neel Gap who had totally ruined his feet with blisters in one day, climbing Blood Mountain, because he bought cheap boots that didn't fit perfectly in the store and figured he would "break them in on the trail". Don't be this guy. While I have gotten lucky with a pair of Garmont Zenith GTX boots for $70 from STP, I doubt I would buy online again, unless I had tried the boot on in a store first. Look around at websites like STP if you know what brand, model and size you want. The least I have seen decent footwear for the AT on sale is:
    Asics GelScram2 trail runners: $34
    LaSportiva Quantum trail runners: $49
    LaSportiva FC Eco 3.0 GTX hiking boot for $78. This is a steal for this boot...
    I would keep in mind the type of trail you plan to hike and the load you plan to carry when choosing between trail runners and hiking boots.

Synthetic Jacket/Warm Jacket
    You will get lots of opinions on this. Based on 35 years of backpacking, my experience has taught me that a super-breathable waterproof jacket, of the lightest weight possible, is all you will need. The jacket will insulate because of its windproof/rainproof construction. For me, it is best to bring a lightweight technical undershirt like a Terramar stretch microfleece and a great lightweight jacket. The problem here is that a great lightweight waterproof and highly breathable jacket is expensive. But, you get what you pay for. If you have non-breathable rain gear, be prepared to sweat like you are in a sauna. Take a look at the Marmot Hyper MemBrain Strata jacket. Its the best combination of waterproof and breathable on the market. I just ordered one for $85 and can't wait for it to replace the barely breathable ultralight crap i've got now. The jacket and layering has worked well for me on the AT while hiking for 10 hours in 35 degree temps, 20mph winds and a constant rain. I often wear the jacket and a tshirt to start a hike on a chilly morning...you need rain gear anyway, right?

Waterproof Bags-quite a bewildering selection out there. You can get a three pack of various sized very lightweight dry bags by Outdoor Products at WalMart for $12. I use these inside my dry bag that i place inside my backpack. The small blue one holds medical, the medium red one, campsite supplies and emergency gear and the larger yellow one is for clothes. Can't beat the price. For a 20L or larger dry bag, you may want to look at Sea-to-Summit's Event dry bag with compression venting. I've never used a better large dry bag, and it is quite light. It isn't the least expensive. The least expensive are the Outdoor Products bags at Walmart and Target. But, they are stiff as a board and heavy as a brick. This is another area where the weight/price trade-off is extreme.

Good luck on your section hike. Remember, no matter what the price, do not buy footwear that does not fit perfectly in the store. It doesn't get better on the trail. And, please, do yourself a HUGE favor. Break in the shoes well before your hike. Like 50 to 100 miles worth if they are boots. This will give you the opportunity to learn which hiking socks work best with the boots/runners BEFORE you get on the trail. Your gear should pose no mystery to you when you begin your hike.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++