WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mike here:

Thanks guys

Mike Back: I am finally feeling it; the apprehension, the holy **** i'm really going to do this, the sadness at leaving my job and friends let alone my wife and kids and grandkids, the anxiousness of whether I can do this, and the panic that I am not yet really trail ready. So there you have it or at last most of it. I have most of the "gear" and since I am blessed to be doing this at the end of my career I can substitute money for experience and get the lightest stuff I can find. That said it has not been an easy road. I had my second knee replaced June 24 and I have been recovering ever since. The swelling and inflammation are slowly receding and I was finally able to walk (without) weight over an hour without any pain at all. Today I will probably walk an hour as well. My goal is to build more or less like a marathon by keeping miles low most days and one or two days going up a mile until I get to 18 which are Texas flat land miles. So...it is really great that I am finally healing. Now to learn to cook; something I have never ever done unless pouring cheerios in a bowl and adding milk counts. I have finally gained acceptance from most of my partners to this foolish endeavor and even some clients are supportive. So as I see it gear is about complete, learning to cook and water are still to be done, resupply issues are still to be done ( began breaking down the trip in miles trying to figure this out and it is very difficult), the physical part seems to be coming together and now the mental. So I'm on schedule for April 1 or April 15 start NOBO. I know it is contrary to custom to name yourself but I have decided to give myself a trail name anyway: I am now TinMan...named after my two knees. I actually feel it appropriate because I wake up and need oil to get my joints to work. Comments welcome so long as you are not to discouraging. My doctor daughter has been telling me how difficult this will be and how I need to find partners to walk with who as best I can tell is an Emergency room Dr with an Orthopedic specialty who has a helicopter who will follow behind me. Not real helpful. So here's to all you crazy people out there. Mike

Images

Mike415,
    Just keep steadily improving on your physical conditioning and things will come together for you. My wife and I (also retirees) will start NOBO on April 1 (trail names: Buck and Fuzz). Our oldest son is also a physician, and he has expressed some apprehension about our undertaking this adventure, even though my wife and I have been avid exercisers and athletes our entire lives. We accommodated him with the purchase of a DeLorme InReach GPS unit and as he has learned more about the trail his apprehension has eased up a bit. We also will purchase an AWOL guide for him so he and his family can follow us on the trail. Read the resupply articles on Whiteblaze as they are very helpful but don't do too much planning. Spend your time with conditioning and getting your equipment dialed in. Just plan to have a great adventure and take it one day at a time. The AT guide will give you most all the info you need about resupply and as for cooking...... Just learn to boil water! See you on the trail!

Good luck, Tinman. It can get cold in those mountains in early Spring. Don't forget to pack your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Happy Trails! Zman

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Good luck, Tinman. It can get cold in those mountains in early Spring. Don't forget to pack your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Happy Trails! Zman
    This is excellent advice to get a great trail name

Good Luck! Read Trail Journals too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++