WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Frame for a MLD Exodus?

I'll be using a MLD Exodus this year, and am trying to figure out what kind of frame/back support I could use. Ideas?

Before you quickly answer "CCF sleeping pad," note that I use a Thermarest NeoAir, and won't change... at least, not for the foreseeable future. :-)
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Whatever you use, I would stay away from the blow-up pad sold by MLD. Mine started leaking less than 2 months after I started using it. Another hiker I met had the same problem at about the same time.

Images

4mm corrugated twin wall plastic - the stuff they use for signs and stuff. Big box stores (WM, HD, etc) all sell it as does Staples, etc. Cut it to fit. Not indestructible but very lightweight and rigid. Alternatively, cut a piece of WM blue foam pad to fit. Or both. But have you considered MLD's suspension upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Whatever you use, I would stay away from the blow-up pad sold by MLD. Mine started leaking less than 2 months after I started using it. Another hiker I met had the same problem at about the same time.
    Noted. I think the idea of an inflatable back pad seems off.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    4mm corrugated twin wall plastic - the stuff they use for signs and stuff. Big box stores (WM, HD, etc) all sell it as does Staples, etc. Cut it to fit. Not indestructible but very lightweight and rigid. Alternatively, cut a piece of WM blue foam pad to fit. Or both. But have you considered MLD's suspension upgrade?
    No to the "suspension upgrade." The idea of cutting a foam pad to fit sounds worthy of an experiment. How rigid is the corrugated plastic? How would it compare to, say, Reflectix?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    No to the "suspension upgrade." The idea of cutting a foam pad to fit sounds worthy of an experiment. How rigid is the corrugated plastic? How would it compare to, say, Reflectix?
    Quite a bit more rigid than reflectix. You've probably run across the stuff, it's used for temporary outdoor signs a lot these days like garage sales, open houses, etc, usually with a few heavy coat hanger size wires stuck in it and into the ground. You might even be able to find a used piece for free just to check it out. Look in the sign area at home depot for it. I used a piece in a Golite day pack along with a thin piece of foam pad to stiffen it up and pad it, and keep it from sagging, worked out really well. Very lightweight as well. But, it will bend/crease if you exceed it's "elastic limits".

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Quite a bit more rigid than reflectix. You've probably run across the stuff, it's used for temporary outdoor signs a lot these days like garage sales, open houses, etc, usually with a few heavy coat hanger size wires stuck in it and into the ground. You might even be able to find a used piece for free just to check it out. Look in the sign area at home depot for it. I used a piece in a Golite day pack along with a thin piece of foam pad to stiffen it up and pad it, and keep it from sagging, worked out really well. Very lightweight as well. But, it will bend/crease if you exceed it's "elastic limits".
    I'll scope it out. Thanx.

++ New Posts ++