WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lateral Heel Blisters

I hiked about 800 miles on the AT in 2013. Early on I got lateral blisters on both heels and they lasted until long after I left the trail. Thinking back I believe the outsides of my heels were rubbing the top edge of the insoles in my shoes. The shoes never felt loose. I wore Merrel Ventilator mids with Super feet green insoles and used Smart wool trekker weight socks. My pack weight varied between 30 and 40 pounds including food and water. I used body glide on my heels with no change in the blisters. Anyone else have similar problems? If you have experienced this condition have you had any luck in resolving the situation? Thanks.

Were the super feet cut too short so they slid forward or to long and had a "lip" in the heel? Would be my only thought. Try different shoes if that couldn't have been the issue.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

I had a very nasty blister just as you described due to poorly fitted insoles in my LaSportivas. When I finally discovered the issue I found a raised area on the edge. A quick little v cut notch in the insole solved the problem. I ended up having that issue on three of the five pairs of those shoes. Run your finger around the edge and if you feel a bump trim it up. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by UofWHusky View Post
    I hiked about 800 miles on the AT in 2013. Early on I got lateral blisters on both heels and they lasted until long after I left the trail. Thinking back I believe the outsides of my heels were rubbing the top edge of the insoles in my shoes. The shoes never felt loose. I wore Merrel Ventilator mids with Super feet green insoles and used Smart wool trekker weight socks. My pack weight varied between 30 and 40 pounds including food and water. I used body glide on my heels with no change in the blisters. Anyone else have similar problems? If you have experienced this condition have you had any luck in resolving the situation? Thanks.
    I wore Merrell Ventilators with the stock inserts, for a 300 mile BMT hike last summer. Got the same thing - edge of heel blisters along the joint of the insole/upper. Mostly on the inside (body centerline side) of each heel. Not very painful. I just kept them lanced and dry and duct-taped. By the end of the hike they had converted to callouses.

The previous year I wore Teva sandals with Ragg wool socks for a 100 mile hike, and had zero blisters on my feet. However, the heel strap started to irritate on one side, and while it never turned in to a blister, it became a painful sore spot - almost like a nerve that shot pain at the slightest touch. I had to remove the heel strap and wear it like a clog by the end of the hike. Which is a shame - hiking in sandals was otherwise the most problem free and flexible footware I've used on the trail.

Try using a dimethicone based blister prevention salve/ointment such as Hydropel or Sportslick. You can also try taping the feet in the areas prone to blisters, using tape such as Kinesio-Tex or Leukotape. Old timers use duct-tape. I've used Leukotape and Kinesio-Tex for problem areas with success. Leukotape has a much stronger adhesive, will stick to your skin longer. You can also use the different blister band-aid products on the market such as Second Skin, then apply one of the above mentioned tapes over that to help it adhere. Other than that, you're using great inserts (Superfeet green) and merino wool socks. Good luck.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I get really bad blisters or calluses on the sides of my feet. Two things have really helped me: 1) wide shoes. I only hike in 4E width shoes now (New Balance makes a bunch of trail runners and some boots in wide). And 2) Body Glide. Put it on at every break. Put it on your foot and on the inside of your sock. If you're weight-conscious, you don't need to carry the whole thing--just cut off a bit of the stuff and put it in a small ziploc bag. Turn the bag inside out and apply it that way.

Think about switching to trail runners and lighter socks, too. Thinner socks mean more room for your feet. Also, wool socks don't wick moisture as well as synthetic fabrics.

Good luck with it. Blisters suck.

I wear custom orthotics. the few times I've tried the OTC stuff, I get blisters you describe. I think for me it is the surface on the top of the insole.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Try using a dimethicone based blister prevention salve/ointment such as Hydropel or Sportslick. You can also try taping the feet in the areas prone to blisters, using tape such as Kinesio-Tex or Leukotape. Old timers use duct-tape. I've used Leukotape and Kinesio-Tex for problem areas with success. Leukotape has a much stronger adhesive, will stick to your skin longer. You can also use the different blister band-aid products on the market such as Second Skin, then apply one of the above mentioned tapes over that to help it adhere. Other than that, you're using great inserts (Superfeet green) and merino wool socks. Good luck.
    +1 for Leukotape. It just doesn't fall off even when your feet are soaked with sweat.

On occasion I get the same type of blister but mine is mostly like a blood blister under a callus. The outer edge of my trail runners wear out pretty fast and that's where they occur. Sounds like taking the right steps Body Glide, etc. I'd try thin socks that fit closer to your feet than a thick sock. i use Wright Socks and swear by them. They are a 2 layer sock and I use them down into temps in the low 30's. Also second trying to find a wider trail runner. I use Vasque Velocity or Vasque Opportunist but they've discontinued both of the models I like. New Balance makes a true wide. Nike I have to buy 1/2 to a full size larger. Check and see if your soles are worn down on the outer edge that could be causing the problem.

I'm not familiar with Leukotape. Just what is it ? where do I get it ?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I'm not familiar with Leukotape. Just what is it ? where do I get it ?
    Available on amazon. I'd give the link but it was way too big when I pasted it on this post.
    Last edited by Deacon; 02-11-2014 at 06:37.

Blisters like that I have had from something in the shoe pinching the skin. That's just about the only blister I have had in the past 5 years too. I don't remember the exact circumstances but an ill fitting insole - particularly one that slid forward and left a gap - would do it.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Thanks for all the feedback. I looked at my old shoes. The insoles don't move when in place so I believe they are the correct length. A close look at the soles reveals slightly more wear on the outside edge of each shoe. I suspect I weight the outside of the shoe more, possibly twisting my foot in the shoe so the heel slides over the outside edge of the heel cup in the SuperFeet causing the rubbing. The blister did turn to callus after 200 miles or so but it remained annoying the whole trip. I replaced the Merrells with Oboz Firebrand 2. The Oboz have a beefier sole so less twisting. I wore them on two short hikes and so far no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    So for those leukotape users, and sorry if this is a bit off topic, but do you all still carry duct tape for general random uses (things like pack repair, rain fly repair) or does leukotape work well for those things as well.

Basically, I use duct tape on blisters and better adhesive to skin would be a benefit, but I don't want to lose all the potential duct tape uses in a swap.

I used to get those type of blisters all the time. I used Merrell hiking boots for years. Then tried hiking in other types of boots and got the same thing. I now use NB trail shoes and I've increased my shoe size by 1 full size. I use polly pro inserts and I have almost forgotten that blisters exist. I've changed so much in the footwear area I don't know for sure what fixed my blister problem. You may be able to do the same by experimenting with your footwear.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I need to wrap some of the Leukotape around one of my poles and see how it sticks. I like it a WHOLE lot better on skin. It also stays (for me) several days. I think I might put the leukotape on one hiking pole or around a water bottle, and the duct tape on the other pole.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I got similar blisters when I used green Superfeet insoles in my Inov-8 Roclites. I discovered it was because the Superfeet were taller than the factory insoles and made my feet rub against the back of the shoe in a way that didn't happen with the factory insoles. I gave up on the Superfeet and my feet have been much happier.

I just bought a pair of Superfeet Copper insoles and was reading the info flyer in the box. The sizing directions said that if your heel doesn't fit inside the heel cup of the insole you should go up one letter size. I followed the advise and bought the next size up insole. Besides being longer, the heel cup is wider. Yes there was more to trim off the toe end, but my heels don't rub on the top edge of the heel cup. Still tying them out while walking around the neighborhood but this could be the long term solution to the problem I had last year. This also follows AndrewZ's comment about Superfeet being taller than the factory insoles.

++ New Posts ++