WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Counting down for 2015

Quote Originally Posted by fernbeetle View Post
    I did a thru hike in 2011,nobo. The resounding thought in my head was I will never do it again. Once on Katahdin I so wanted to turn back and hike sobo. Well the latter feeling has now won out. March 1, I start nobo for a yo-yo hike.
    I have already started to wonder what I will be thinking/feeling when I get there and one of thoughts I have is willing I simply want to turn around and go south? I don't know. Guess I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime I am SO excited for you fernbeetle! Hope we'll meet by some chance. Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker; 07-29-2014 at 16:18.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I love hearing everyone's tales. Thanks for sharing.

Me, I'm one of those crazy few who like winter, snow, cold. I'd much rather shovel snow in a blizzard than roast in the sun on a hot day. I can't pass up the experience of camping in the GSMNP in winter. I hope it snows, certainly!

I hope to hit the heat farther north and avoid the worst of it.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Images

Go Light!

Not passing judgment but thru hikers weighing in at Uncle Johnnies were 37-48 pounds that day, I was a bit surprised at the high pack weights heading North.

My Plan is to complete the Southern sections by Mid April 2015..........would be amazing to meet back up with thru hikers in NH/ME for my section hike completion in the Fall

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Go Light!

Not passing judgment but thru hikers weighing in at Uncle Johnnies were 37-48 pounds that day, I was a bit surprised at the high pack weights heading North.
    I cant believe that. There is no reason your pack should weight more than 30 pound fully loaded with 5 days' food, unless you really just like those camp comforts and are willing to lug the pounds.

Lightweight gear is so accessible today that anyone who can afford to thru hike can afford to go light. Like you said, not passing judgment, I could really care less what someone else's pack weighs....just crazy to me that we still see those weights today.

Yea, I can't imagine starting out not knowing how much you are carrying, or thinking that a 40+ pound pack will do. Makes my feet hurt just thinkin' about it!
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Hello all
    hiked springer to harpers ferry in 2013 and now hope to return to USA to hike to Kathadin. So far the plans are coming together nicely.. Hope to see you all on the trail.
    greetings from Cape Town South Africa.
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mulungu View Post
    Hello all
    hiked springer to harpers ferry in 2013 and now hope to return to USA to hike to Kathadin. So far the plans are coming together nicely.. Hope to see you all on the trail.
    greetings from Cape Town South Africa.
    Our class is looking very international! I love it! Truly am hoping I will get to meet so many of you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Just found this thread. G'day everyone, Jim or Moose from Brisbane Australia, I'll be one of the international hikers to join you next year. Start date 13th March but may be earlier as I hit Atlanta on the 9th. Looking forward to seeing some of you and many more on the trail.

Just started a new thread on the base weight of the big 4, to see what people are carrying and maybe give some people an idea of whats out there. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...83#post1905183

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Just found this thread. G'day everyone, Jim or Moose from Brisbane Australia, I'll be one of the international hikers to join you next year. Start date 13th March but may be earlier as I hit Atlanta on the 9th. Looking forward to seeing some of you and many more on the trail.

Just started a new thread on the base weight of the big 4, to see what people are carrying and maybe give some people an idea of whats out there. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...83#post1905183
    I just saw your thread. Looking at my weights I'm feeling a little like Super Woman right now with what I'm carrying

Journal Entries

I grow impatient. The waiting is killing me!! And now it looks like I will have to wait another month while recovering from surgery. So, unless I decide to slack pack for the first full month to stay within the weight restriction set by my surgeon, looks like I will be an April Fool and celebrate my birthday on Springer instead of by eating BBQ at Hartford TN. Either way my heart races at the thought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker View Post
    I grow impatient. The waiting is killing me!! And now it looks like I will have to wait another month while recovering from surgery. So, unless I decide to slack pack for the first full month to stay within the weight restriction set by my surgeon, looks like I will be an April Fool and celebrate my birthday on Springer instead of by eating BBQ at Hartford TN. Either way my heart races at the thought.
    Could be a blessing in disguise !!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Only 50 more days until Mar. 1

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++