WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I enjoyed the video very much. Winter and I were always able to find a dog friendly hotel.
    Thanks Superman, I'm glad you liked it.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

they will board your dog.... and even shuttle them for you, if you want.

http://lovingcarekennels.com/
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Also remember. Your dogs pack weight should not be more than 25% of the dogs weight

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Not to completely high jack the OP's thread but, does anyone know where I might find regulations on having a Service dog on the AT or any of the other major US trails. I assume that they still have to be on a leash but wondering about sections of the trail that don't allow dogs and the GSMNP.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

I work as a vet tech and I hike with my dog. Invest in a seresto collar! They are amazing protection from fleas and ticks. The collar lasts for 8 months and is water proof. They cost around $80 but is worth every penny!

Most people i have hike with or around that was hiking with a dog did "Mail Drops just for their dog food" that way they would know what their dog was eating and they would have it calculated of how much their dog would eat from resupply to the next much like a human does, they would also have dog treats like those bacon bite things or somekind of bone and they wouldn't have to worry about any extra dog food at the resupply but they would also give their dog somekind of Canned food while in towns, i have noticed most places that sell dog food along the trail only sells the bags like a 5lb bag or the canned food so what are you going to do with the extra dog food at each resupply. I feel if i was going to do a thru-hike with a dog i think i would do mail drops just for the dog food.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Damn Yankee View Post
    Not to completely high jack the OP's thread but, does anyone know where I might find regulations on having a Service dog on the AT or any of the other major US trails. I assume that they still have to be on a leash but wondering about sections of the trail that don't allow dogs and the GSMNP.
    First of all, the good news is that, according to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, there are only three places on the AT that do not allow dogs:
    Baxter State Park, Bear Mountain State Part, and Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Several months ago, there were a couple of threads on the subject of service animals and the ADA. Basically, the ADA seems to require that service animals (as defined by the ADA) be allowed where pets are otherwise not allowed. However, near the end of one of these discussions, someone pointed out that there is a clause in the ADA that basically exempts the federal government from the ADA requirements.

So that likely means that Baxter State Park and Bear Mountain State Park are required to allow you to bring your service dog (provided it meets ADA guidelines) since they are state entities.

But in GSMNP, your service animal is treated like a pet until the park's superintendent says otherwise.

I seem to also recall the discussions also touched on the subject of what is considered a service animal. I think the general consensus was that animals that perform a physical task (seeing eye dog, animals that retrieve dropped items for someone unable to pick them up themselves) are considered service animals by the ADA, but an animal with the main purpose of provided emotional support does not (but that's starting to dive into the legal interpretations of the ADA, so if you have a 'border' case, you might want to consult with a lawyer).

Of course, worst case, you make 3 phone calls (Baxter, Bear, Smokies) and simply ask how each park handles service animals.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Bear mountain is a non issue. The area where dogs aren't allowed is basically just the zoo/museum and a small part of the park. There is an easy blue blaze around the section where dogs arent allowed. It's the same blue blaze that becomes the "official" A.T. During hours that the zoo is not open.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 07-31-2014 at 15:15.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Apparently service dogs are allowed in Baxter, but getting one up the AT to the summit would be nearly impossible without climbing gear, due to several sections which are near vertical rock scrambles. It would be stupid to even try.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Our thru hiker used Honest Kitchen dehydrated with Core kible as snacks. 70lb lab/pit mix. She looked and felt great , had to up her daily intake. More food, smaller meals more often.....she had the hiker hunger . USPS flat rate and did mail drops. It worked .... Heat and humidity were the biggest problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Advantix for ticks. Also put on a bandana treated with permethrin for the pooch
    Make sure to never let your cat get near your permethrin coated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by brewthru View Post
    Make sure to never let your cat get near your permethrin coated stuff.
    I take it that means it is hazardous to them? Would that then mean it could be dangerous for dogs too?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I like dogs and dogs like me, but PLEASE keep your flea and tick infested dog out of the shelter so other people don't have to deal with your dog. Sure you have the best well behaved and friendly dog in the world, but that does not matter. I, nor do anyone else wants your dog walking on my sleeping bag, licking my face, begging for food or barking in the middle of the night every time it hears some sound in the woods or someone moves around in the shelter.

If you hike with a dog you have an obligation to tent away from everyone else. You have no right to inflict your dog on others. We have a right to enjoy the woods without your dog. The only ones who think a dog isn't a problem are the selfish, inconsiderate dog owners.
    Not everyone will say this in person, but most are thinking it.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Thank you, Caleb.

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/eeo.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/upload/access_poster.pdf

do not abuse the exception

http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/eeo.htm
    http://www.nps.gov/aboutus/upload/access_poster.pdf
    http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/a...-a-service-dog

do not abuse the exception

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtra View Post
    I take it that means it is hazardous to them? Would that then mean it could be dangerous for dogs too?
    Liquid permethrin is highly toxic to cats and fish. It is rather safe around humans and most other animals. Check out the wikipedia page for more info. I'd post the link, but I'm typing from my phone.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++