Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

"If you're willing to plan ahead a bit while on the trail, it makes great sense to once in a while stop in a place with a good grocery store and nearby post office and make up a box or two to mail ahead. So for example, in Ashland, mail ahead a box to the Adventists Youth Camp."

This might save a hitch into Sisters.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    As for Tehachapi vs Mojave, I didn't see Mojave but I loved Tehachapi. Yeah it's spread out but I was able to hitchhike to and from the Chinese buffet no problem. If you stay at the Best Western, you are in close walking distance from the Super K-Mart and the movie theater ... with FIVE DOLLAR MOVIES!!!! Did I mention there was a Chinese buffet? And movies for five dollars?? That town was like paradise!
    Well, that settles that. The PCT Planner/Guesstimater has me making a 5 day / 104 mile carry between Aqua Dulce and Tehachapi with a few potential places to consider between (Andersens and Hikertown).

Up to Kennedy Meadows resupply doesn't seem like much of a problem.

Images

I bought along the way except Kennedy Meadows and at the end in Washington which I sent from Ashland I think. Even then you could get away wuth the stores except Stehekin unless you can eat just candy bars and baked goods. KM has such a huge hiker box that even that would be OK .
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

10-K: Hey, there are lots of journals where successful PCT hikers did not plan and resupplied on the way. Have a great time. The thing I read about that was interesting was the issue that some thru hikers went for 10 days or so between re-supplies instead of the 3-5 or 7. Others thought they were nuts but the hikers in question sure liked being on the trial longer between towns and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by SunnyWalker; 02-14-2014 at 17:15.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I'm with 10-K. The 2014 Facebook group is just so full of information overload. Everyone is planning everything, it's easy to get overloaded with information. The A.T. was dirt simple to resupply. Coming from the East coast and never been out west I have no clue what I'm getting into. The movies have made me believe that each store will be attended by a single guy in a rocking chair eating tumble weed soup.

I'm going to use the PCT planner to get an idea of what city is at what distance. I'm then going to look at Yogi's book and see what each town offers. If a town has a big store and a post office, I'll flag that city as a city where I can make a mail drop further up the trail. People on the FB group are making 6 months worth of food drops, I don't think so. Food drops for the first 2-3 places where buying is not an option and I'll just wing it from there. Once I get to Oregon I'll do mail drops through Washington since I hear there's no other real option.

Now if I could just get my damn base weight back down to what I had at Katahdin.

I need beta blockers! Trail beta overload. Uggggggh!

The amount of trail info on all the Triple Crown Trails has gotten off the hook! The AT is such an overanalyzed trail a good part of the sense of adventure has been squeezed out of the "AT experience."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++