WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Lost Cove near Erwin TN

The guide book talks about a now abandoned town, Lost Cove, just up river from the Bridge South of Erwin over the Nolichucky. Now private property they say. Has any body been to this town, or know the story?

Great setting for another Freddie Kruger episode.
    not all who wander are lost - JRR Tolkein

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Lost Cove

Quote Originally Posted by Stale Cracker
    The guide book talks about a now abandoned town, Lost Cove, just up river from the Bridge South of Erwin over the Nolichucky. Now private property they say. Has any body been to this town, or know the story?Great setting for another Freddie Kruger episode.

AGE OLD STORY: railroad town founded....railroad leaves....town dies.

source: WJSK-TV (Johnson City,TN) "Archives of Appalachia" E.T.S.U. 30 min. documentary.

"Lost Cove and Unaka Springs." Pat Alderman discusses North Carolina ghost town accessible only by rail and by foot. When the railroad ceased to run through the town, the town died.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by [u
    History of Western North Carolina[/u] - Chapters 13-14 @ http://www.webroots.org/library/usahist/hownc009.html]A MOONSHINER'S HEAVEN. Forty years ago Lost Cove was almost inaccessible,
    except by trails; but last year (1912) a wagon road over three miles long
    was constructed to it over the ridges from Poplar Station on the C. C. &
    0. Railroad. Such a secluded place was a great temptation to moonshiners,
    and when to its inaccessibility was added the fact that it was in dispute
    between Tennessee and North Carolina, its fascinations became
    irresistible. Accordingly John D. Tipton was accused of having begun
    business by the light of the moon, as was evidenced by sundry indictments
    in the United States court at Asheville. His example was soon followed by
    others; but, whenever it appeared to Judge R. P. Dick. that the alledged
    stills were in the disputed territory, he directed the discharge of the
    defendants. However, a mighty change has taken place in Lost Cove within
    the past few years, and not only is there no moonshining there now, even
    when fair Luna is at the full,. but the good people will not suffer the
    "critter" to be brought in from Tennessee. And better still, in 1910 they
    built a school house and a church, and voted a special school tax, the
    first school having been taught in 1911.
    Info re: location of town is at:
    http://www.mountaintravelguide.com/H...ve%20Trail.htm

Default Lost Cove NC

Great setting for another Freddie Kruger episode.[/QUOTE]================================================== ===========
    Lost Cove (along with Dudleytown, Conn) plays a prominent part in the novel "Some Other Place The Right Place" by Donald Harington. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who knows this author exists. He's written some great novels, mostly about Arkansas. In many libraries, he's misfiled as "Harrington" but his name only has one R.

Frolicking Dinosaur provides a link as to how you can get into Lost Cove. It's 3.5 miles down a dirt road from 19-W. Since the ghost town is on the river, that means it's 3.5 miles back to the highway uphill.

I would not advise hiking the tracks into Lost Cove. That's trespassing, and railroads have gotten tough with that lately, especially since 9/11.

Images

I've now been to the Lost Cove twice...most recently in June. Walking the tracks is the only way I know of getting there, although I hear there is another way in. There are only about 4 buildings still standing. Vandals have pretty much ruined the place. Also, it looks one cabin that is still in tact is is being used as a hunting cabin, since there was some cookware and firewood inside it, along with a few canned goods. A lot of fishermen walk the tracks. It is an absolutely beautiful walk since it takes you right down the middle of the Nolichucky gorge.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Default Lost Cove

Got back from there today... hiked over Fattop Mtn, NC downhill most of the way. Got a little lost but had good maps and a compass. Came into Erwin via Railroad tracks. It's all downhill this way. i will post pictures. -Elizabeth
    and you thought that i had run away, chasing a trail of smoke and reason....

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stale Cracker View Post
    The guide book talks about a now abandoned town, Lost Cove, just up river from the Bridge South of Erwin over the Nolichucky. Now private property they say. Has any body been to this town, or know the story?

Some friends and I are looking into researching Lost Cove. Its really not an easy place to get to. From what I have been told, Lost Cove was a remote logging settlement at the base of Flattop Mountain in the Nolichucky River Gorge. Residents used to hop the train into Unaka Springs to get supplies. When the railroad business moved from Unaka Springs to Erwin. Lost Cove became too remote for the residents. One day they decided to pack up and leave. Leaving their houses, vehicles, and buried loved ones.

The easiest accesses are from the rafting launch at Popular NC, hike about 5 miles along railroad. There is a spur trail over a steep hill or look for the railroad spur that runs into the settlement.

The other is to park at the Chestoa Rec Area at the Nolichucky River trailhead for the AT. Hike the railroad as well. There is another parking spot near the remains of the old Unaka Springs hotel. It is another 5 miles but the grade will be all uphill. This is a bit more dangerous direction because the trains are rounding around the gorge at high speeds. People say they didnt see the train until it almost on top of them.

There is one more route. Love Cove residents also used a timber road on top of Flattop when they had to move their timber and make supply runs. This is the route I am trying to locate. A couple websites say there is a blue blazed forest road that will lead to the timber road and down into the settlement, but I could never find it. It is supposed accessed from eastern side of Flattop near Souix NC. Taking WhiteOak Flats road up to FSR 278, you follow it until you see the road. But there are several FSR's and timber trails along it. It is hard to tell what it is. I took the first gated road, and hiked to the very end. But I believe, I hiked along the eastern ridge of Flattop near the Toecane area.

Another option but requires a bit of bushwhacking is on the western side of Flattop Mtn. Using the AT or westend of FSR 278, hike up to the top of Devil Creek Gap where the AT crosses the road. There will be a number of junctions here. A couple of old timber roads and the main FSR 278 leading up to some open meadows. Follow the bottom timber road just above the AT. After about a mile and half, you will come to a grassy open flat area. You will have an awesome view of No Business, Temple Ridge, and Unaka. There is a posted blue blaze forest trail at the right side of the field near a gate. It is listed as Devils Creek Trail. This trail has not been maintained in a while. It is full of rodo and is very narrow. I could only get to the first cascade crossing before it started raining. But around the 2nd creek crossing, you should be able to bushwhack to the top of Lost Cove.

Miss Janet and a friend of hers know of some of the exact routes
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

and you thought that i had run away, chasing a trail of smoke and reason....

Default Lost Cove

My father and grandfather owned half of Lost Cove in the 50's and early 60's. I have never been there but would love to visit as I have many pictures and stories that my father left me. They always left their car in Irwin, TN and walked the railroad tressel. My mother still writes "snail mail" with old friends in Irwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stale Cracker View Post

Journal Entries
    Images

With the help of Buddha Child, I am heading to Lost Cove pretty soon. I have hiked down to the property line before having to hike out. I am planning to take the approach from the gap in between the peaks on Flattop again as soon as the roads open. It should be the next week or so.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Images

Default Went there last wknd

Wasnt too bad a hike. Came in from Erwin side. I was disappointed how the area has been trashed out and most the buildings burned. It held a certain mystic in the wonder of the history of it. Glad I went but dont think Id go again. Its definitely a party area in the summer. The graveyard was interesting.

www.tnhikingforums.com double j's Avatar
    Images

whats the easiest way to access this i think im gonna head there maybe sat...... what exit and roads will i need to know and markings thanks ......

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

I am planning to hike out to Lost Cove on the 25th, I will be approaching form the Gap to the South of town on Bald Mtn. Any who want to go are welcome. It should be 5 of us currently scheduled to go with me, but the more the merrier. Also, anyone who knows the trail who wants to go would be wonderful, haha, as this will be all 5 of us's first time. at least with less foilage we'll be able to to see further and read the topo better. I'll try to bring back some pictures, and current reports on the state of the town.

Images

From an earlier post from a few years ago it stated not to go up the tracks. This is the way I always go. I also fish this river ALOT. According to the game wardens it is perfectly fine to walk the tracks. He even will ask me all the time how many people are up in the gorge or if I was up at the state line. If I hadn't made it to the line he throws on a daypack and heads up the tracks.

If you do take the tracks, keep on ear open. Listen for the singing of the tracts and always keep looking behind you. There has been a couple of times I didn't hear it till it was right up on me. Also don't let a dog run loose on the tracks. They don't know to get off the tracts when the train comes.

I don't know if he will be up there at this time of year, but there is a caretaker for the property. If you act civil and respect the signs on some of the houses you will be o.k. If you head up there and start drinking and carry on, you'll be sure to meet him.

With some snow up there you might get some nice pictures. I went last year in January with a couple of friends. There's not too many house left standing but there is a few out buildings. And don't forget to visit the graveyard. Have Fun!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    From an earlier post from a few years ago it stated not to go up the tracks. This is the way I always go. I also fish this river ALOT. According to the game wardens it is perfectly fine to walk the tracks. He even will ask me all the time how many people are up in the gorge or if I was up at the state line. If I hadn't made it to the line he throws on a daypack and heads up the tracks.

If you do take the tracks, keep on ear open. Listen for the singing of the tracts and always keep looking behind you. There has been a couple of times I didn't hear it till it was right up on me. Also don't let a dog run loose on the tracks. They don't know to get off the tracts when the train comes.

I don't know if he will be up there at this time of year, but there is a caretaker for the property. If you act civil and respect the signs on some of the houses you will be o.k. If you head up there and start drinking and carry on, you'll be sure to meet him.

With some snow up there you might get some nice pictures. I went last year in January with a couple of friends. There's not too many house left standing but there is a few out buildings. And don't forget to visit the graveyard. Have Fun!
    I don't think Tennessee Wildlife or Forest Service really care who walks the tracks except for the railroad company.

There is a way to access Lost Cove from the middle of Flattop Mtn using USFS 293. But the road is only open mid-April to first snow fall. And there is some unofficial trail routes. But this is the easiest way to access Lost Cove of only 2.5 miles compared to 6 miles.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Also, it looks one cabin that is still in tact is is being used as a hunting cabin, since there was some cookware and firewood inside it, along with a few canned goods. A lot of fishermen walk the tracks.
    Please stay out of my Living Room. I'm gonna shoot these dang trespassers.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Please stay out of my Living Room. I'm gonna shoot these dang trespassers.
    Actually, since I posted this almost 5 years ago, I've been up there one last time. Sorry to tell you, but your living room doesn't exist anymore. In fact, last time I was there about 4 years ago, there was only one building left partially standing. Who knows if it is even still up anymore. Stupid vandals have ruined the place. The easiest hike really is going up the tracks just past Uncle Johnny's. It's about exactly 3 miles down the tracks and then there is a trail that is about a mile long that leads you to the Lost Cove.
    Soli Deo Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I don't think Tennessee Wildlife or Forest Service really care who walks the tracks except for the railroad company.

There is a way to access Lost Cove from the middle of Flattop Mtn using USFS 293. But the road is only open mid-April to first snow fall. And there is some unofficial trail routes. But this is the easiest way to access Lost Cove of only 2.5 miles compared to 6 miles.
    I think it is USFS 278, and this is a TOPO Map that has the old trail from Flattop Mtn. I don't know what condition the trail is in.

This trail provides access to the deserted community of Lost Cove. Follow timber access road 5505 and the blue blazes. Watch for switchbacks.

http://www.mountaintravelguide.com/H...ve%20Trail.htm

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Journal Entries
    Images

Your correct. I had another USFS road on the brain.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++