WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Dogwood, I wouldn't want you to be envious. My winter home is a bit further south of Sedona. My wife and live in Gig Harbor, Wa in the summer and Green Valley, AZ in the winter. The pictures below are the views from our two homes.
    wow. someday soon. I swear. envy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Shutterbug-

You seem to be the Wonderland expert--mind if I PM you some quick questions rather than hijack this thread?

I will be glad to respond. It might be easier to email your questions -- [email protected].

I hiked the section from Frying Pan Creek Trail Head to Summerland last week. There are still a lot of people on the trail, but the temperatures are dropping below freezing at night. There was ice on few sections of the trail.
    Shutterbug

FWIW, I sent my permit application with 3 choices for routes. In each case, I tried to pick strategically to maximize my chances. No luck! I might do a walk-up next year.

I've hiked most of it in sections. A great source of current trail condition info is nwhikers.net. I agree with others that it is a tough hike with pretty massive elevation changes.

I will be glad to respond. It might be easier to email your questions -- [email protected].

I hiked the section from Frying Pan Creek Trail Head to Summerland last week. There are still a lot of people on the trail, but the temperatures are dropping below freezing at night. There was ice on few sections of the trail.
    One of my favorite hikes in the park, going up through Summerland and to Panhandle Gap. Beyond a wonderful walk and vistas when the weather opens up, there is a huge chipmunk (I think its a chipmunk) living under the shelter at Summerland that I swear goes about 4 lbs. I envy your proximity to that area. Have you done the Burroughs?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    FWIW, I sent my permit application with 3 choices for routes. In each case, I tried to pick strategically to maximize my chances. No luck! I might do a walk-up next year.
    Many of the hikers I have met on the trail this year have said they were "walk-up" hikers. Their big challenge has been getting a camp on the east side. Summerland and Indian Bar camps have been full so they have either had to hike White River to Nickel Creek in one day or use the Olallie Creek camp.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    One of my favorite hikes in the park, going up through Summerland and to Panhandle Gap. Beyond a wonderful walk and vistas when the weather opens up, there is a huge chipmunk (I think its a chipmunk) living under the shelter at Summerland that I swear goes about 4 lbs. I envy your proximity to that area. Have you done the Burroughs?
    That "chipmunk" would be a marmot. Summerland is one of my favorite places to observe the marmots. This time of year (September), they are getting really fat and have mostly lost their fear of hikers. When I was there last week, there were four of them laying on top of the big rocks. As soon as the snow begins to stick, they will go into hibernation. They stay in hibernation for seven months. Next spring, when they come back out of hibernation, they will be skinny.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Default Burroughs Mountain Trail

Have you done the Burroughs?
    Yes, I have done the Burroughs loop. In fact, I am waiting to see if the clouds will burn off to decide if I will hike the Burroughs loop today.

In fact, I have a photo album for the Burroughs Mountain Trail on my web site -- http://www.davemcclung.com
    Shutterbug

I've looked at the Northern loop (or loops). Seems there would be a variety of options of trail heads and routes with the two loops that overlap with the WT. Any suggestions? I would want something that could be done in 6 days or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I've looked at the Northern loop (or loops). Seems there would be a variety of options of trail heads and routes with the two loops that overlap with the WT. Any suggestions? I would want something that could be done in 6 days or less.
    The Northern Loop is a good option. As with the Wonderland Trail, how long it will take depends on your conditioning. If I wee doing the planning, I would allow three days for just the Northern Loop or four days if I planned to extend around Mowich Lake. I usually plan 10 to 12 miles per day when there is a lot of elevation gain.

The Wonderland Trail Guide says, "The Northern Loop Trail well known for being a strenuous route with challenging elevation changes. The well-conditioned hiker will likely find it manageable, but those with knee problems or who aren't in shape may not agree that the scenery is worth the effort..."

I hiked that part of the Wonderland Trail today. I had two hours of outstanding scenery, then the clouds rolled in
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 09-20-2014 at 00:17.
    Shutterbug

That "chipmunk" would be a marmot. Summerland is one of my favorite places to observe the marmots. This time of year (September), they are getting really fat and have mostly lost their fear of hikers. When I was there last week, there were four of them laying on top of the big rocks. As soon as the snow begins to stick, they will go into hibernation. They stay in hibernation for seven months. Next spring, when they come back out of hibernation, they will be skinny.
    No, this was what appeared to be a well fed chipmunk that lives, or lived under the shelter at Summerland. I have a photo of this beastie (attached), it's about the same size as the boot of the hiker it's trying to rob....
    IMG_2062.jpg

Images

A couple of us will be hiking the WT starting Sunday 10-5, planning on starting a bit after noon. We are planning to go CCW and complete the loop in three or four days spending on what side excursions we do. We were planning to go the walk up permit route given the time of year. For those in the know is this a good assumption to make that there will be availability. Any tips on permitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    A couple of us will be hiking the WT starting Sunday 10-5, planning on starting a bit after noon. We are planning to go CCW and complete the loop in three or four days spending on what side excursions we do. We were planning to go the walk up permit route given the time of year. For those in the know is this a good assumption to make that there will be availability. Any tips on permitting?
    That would be 6 or 8 thousand feet up and the same down daily. Are you that fit and ambitious?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

No, this was what appeared to be a well fed chipmunk that lives, or lived under the shelter at Summerland. I have a photo of this beastie (attached), it's about the same size as the boot of the hiker it's trying to rob....
    IMG_2062.jpg

You confused me when you said it weighed about 4 lbs. It is a fat chipmunk, but it doesn't weigh 4 lbs. A
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    The rangers are helpful. You can be confident that they will find some combination of sites that will allow you to do the hike. With the mileage you are planning, getting permits shouldn't be a problem because you will have more flexibility about when to camp. For a three day plan, starting at Longmire, you could use White River and Mowich River for your stops. They are not my favorite camps, but you won't be spending much time in camp anyway.

For a four day plan, Indian Bar, Granite Creek, and Golden Lakes could be your camps. All of those are among my favorite camps.

Be prepared for the rangers to tell you that 3 or 4 days isn't enough time. Their recommended schedule is 11 days (8.5 miles a day). I saw some guys on the trail that were attempting to complete the loop in one day. They were on hour 20 when I talked to them. They said, "It is the dumbest thing we have tried." I later heard that they made it in 27 hours. I have met some others who were doing it in 3 days or less. They were running more than walking.

PS: I missed that you are starting after noon, so my suggested camps probably won't work.
    I am attaching the worksheet I use for planning.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 09-20-2014 at 12:48.
    Shutterbug

You confused me when you said it weighed about 4 lbs. It is a fat chipmunk, but it doesn't weigh 4 lbs. A
    A small exaggeration, but not by a lot! This thing eats incredibly well by the looks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That would be 6 or 8 thousand feet up and the same down daily. Are you that fit and ambitious?
    Yup on both counts

Images

The rangers are helpful. You can be confident that they will find some combination of sites that will allow you to do the hike. With the mileage you are planning, getting permits shouldn't be a problem because you will have more flexibility about when to camp. For a three day plan, starting at Longmire, you could use White River and Mowich River for your stops. They are not my favorite camps, but you won't be spending much time in camp anyway.

For a four day plan, Indian Bar, Granite Creek, and Golden Lakes could be your camps. All of those are among my favorite camps.

Be prepared for the rangers to tell you that 3 or 4 days isn't enough time. Their recommended schedule is 11 days (8.5 miles a day). I saw some guys on the trail that were attempting to complete the loop in one day. They were on hour 20 when I talked to them. They said, "It is the dumbest thing we have tried." I later heard that they made it in 27 hours. I have met some others who were doing it in 3 days or less. They were running more than walking.

PS: I missed that you are starting after noon, so my suggested camps probably won't work.
    I am attaching the worksheet I use for planning.
    Great, thanks for the info and the links. Really looking forward to this trip. Fingers crossed on the weather. It would be a shame to not be able to see the mountain. But if that were to happen it will still be a great trip, great company, fresh air.

This was from Paradise about a year ago. I call it Marmot on the Rocks. Now all I need is a bartender to formulate a drink recipe to go with it.

IMG_3584.JPG

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++