WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: help me decide

Default help me decide

which would you buy, montbell UL parka or patagonia nanopuff hoodie!

Images

since your going ultra light i would say neither. hard to hike in it. no dual use.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Neither. A down vest and a windproof shell. In fact, that is what I have been using since forever. Very versatile. I can use one, or the other, or both as conditions dictate. I sleep in the vest when needed without restriction in my slim fitting sleeping bag. My down vest is one of the best pieces of gear I own.

Wayne

I would go with the Montbell UL parka- it's cheaper and lighter.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.'
    And God granted it.
    Voltaire

Another call for "neither." Venchka and I share the same thoughts-- go with the versatile combination of a down vest and a shell. I'll add that the shell could perhaps even be waterproof/breathable and have a hood, thus serving not only as insulation but also raingear.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Images

Before you can say neither, you must ask when it would be used. Personally I went with a Montbell ex-light and rarely hike with it unless it is well below freezing. An exception to this was Saturday when I wore it at about 40 degrees. I was just finishing up an extremely long day and the wind was really howling. It was one of the few times I ever wore it hiking.

Speaking UL, shoulder season (AT) weather;
    I never use a hoody- far better off with a hat or two. Likely lighter or break even weight, but more important easy to slip on and off as situation dictates. A windshell and hat are typically the only layer beyond baselayers needed while in motion. It's rare to see UL folks in much more than a skirt, merino 1 top, windshell and a hat during the day.

Jacket or vest- depends on your sleeping bag. If a UL person is really cold, you get in your bag, not pack more insulation so you can sit outside it (unless it's deep shoulder or winter weather).

I carry a homemade M50/Apex quilt at 11.5 ounces- so I carry a jacket for a safety piece. The sleeping bag is about a 45 degree, not safe enough by itself when things dip a bit.

If I carried a warmer sleeping bag, I would consider that my safety piece and bring a vest.

Light bag+jacket, or better bag+vest= personal preference, although many lean toward the warmer bag.

Final call for me, for an ounce or two- you can always unzip a jacket if it's too warm, but you can never add sleeves to a vest if it's too cold. That said, I own both.

Down vs. Synthetic- to balance UL gear selection and stay safe- carry one of each or all synthetic out east. Down bag, synthetic vest. The dri-down adds a new twist, but only a 90 degree, not a 180.

As fer Montbell or Patagonia- both great products. If montbell was closer i'd own more of it, but I use patagonia more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by RF_ace View Post
    which would you buy, montbell UL parka or patagonia nanopuff hoodie!
    The Montbell UL down parka has served me well as a camp and sleep layer. I never use it while hiking.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I own several down jackets and vests. 2 of which are a mont bell UL and EX lite and Patagonia. To me Mont Bell jackets do a better job at lofting so these seems to be a significant difference in down being used.

I perfer having components so I can pick and choose what I need to lighten my load and personally avoid parkas and stick to module systems.

For example get a down vest or jacket and carry a fleece and down hat. Between my Blackrock down hat and mountain hardwear its 1.1oz total weight which is still lighter then a parka option.

Some other options you may want to consider are a Patagonia Down Shirt 5.5oz or a Golite Selkirk 5.9oz. Both of these jackets have served me well and are worth their weight. I also use a Marmot Mica as my rain shell and just toss that on top if I need extra warmth and because it has a clinched down hood it can be layered with my hats to add more warmth if needed.

++ New Posts ++