WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default James River area Local Shuttle

Is there anyone around 501 near the James River that will provide a local shuttle to town for a zero day or resupply?

Default Shuttle

Try this guy, I used his service in 2012 , Ken Wallace (434) 609-2704
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

Deer Hunter is a member here on WB, he might be able to help you out too.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    Deer Hunter is a member here on WB, he might be able to help you out too.
    We have been pm'ing.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

My husband and I will also be in this area in early April. We are looking for recommendations for hotels in several towns. Do any of you local folks have the scoop on the best place to stay (clean yet reasonable price for hikers) in Pearisburg and Troutville? I understand that the only place to stay in Bland is a the Big Walker Motel - how is it? Is there a place to stay in Catawba? How about Glasgow?

Quote Originally Posted by Catch-Up View Post
    My husband and I will also be in this area in early April. We are looking for recommendations for hotels in several towns. Do any of you local folks have the scoop on the best place to stay (clean yet reasonable price for hikers) in Pearisburg and Troutville? I understand that the only place to stay in Bland is a the Big Walker Motel - how is it? Is there a place to stay in Catawba? How about Glasgow?
    There is a place(rustic)behind the restaurant in Glasgow. There are rooms there at the restaurant but I'm not sure if they are rented out by the day or if they are monthly rentals. If I can remember, I will check 4 u. You may pm OzJacko here on WB. He may know.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Catch-Up... Check this out for a place near Glasgow- posted by WB member- AT-OMA a few days ago..

I'm coming to this thread late as I was closing on a house to run as a hostel about the time this thread was active. We (Three Springs Hostel) are located between the Long Mountain Wayside crossing (Rt. 60 in VA) and Hog Camp Gap. We offer free shuttles from either. I did a long section hike last year. Like others, found the need to be great between Waynesboro and Daleville. Decided to Just Do It! Details are posted elsewhere on White Blaze or email [email protected].

^^^ They are not in "the book" this year. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pearisburg? Hands down most excellent place to stay -Woods Hole Hostel.

Troutville/Daleville?- PM me.

Catawba? 4 Pines Hostel- 3 bay garage with shower. (no towel) BYOT

Bland? I know nothing about the Big Walker Motel.
    Last edited by HikerMom58; 03-17-2014 at 10:08.

Catch-Up... Check this out for a place near Glasgow- posted by WB member- AT-OMA a few days ago..

I'm coming to this thread late as I was closing on a house to run as a hostel about the time this thread was active. We (Three Springs Hostel) are located between the Long Mountain Wayside crossing (Rt. 60 in VA) and Hog Camp Gap. We offer free shuttles from either. I did a long section hike last year. Like others, found the need to be great between Waynesboro and Daleville. Decided to Just Do It! Details are posted elsewhere on White Blaze or email [email protected].

^^^ They are not in "the book" this year. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pearisburg? Hands down most excellent place to stay -Woods Hole Hostel.

Troutville/Daleville?- PM me.

Catawba? 4 Pines Hostel- 3 bay garage with shower. (no towel) BYOT

Bland? I know nothing about the Big Walker Motel.
    That would be about 21 or 22 miles away from Glasgow. There are two motels in Buena Vista and even more, better ones in Lexington. If you are interested in the motels in Buena Vista or Lexington, I will be glad to dig up the information for you, Catch-UP.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; 03-17-2014 at 11:14.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    There is a place(rustic)behind the restaurant in Glasgow. There are rooms there at the restaurant but I'm not sure if they are rented out by the day or if they are monthly rentals. If I can remember, I will check 4 u. You may pm OzJacko here on WB. He may know.
    I stayed there like 10 years ago (the pink tile shower was classic), but I heard they had closed down a year or two later. Which is why I ended up at a motel in Buena Vista the last time I was through there, maybe 5 years ago.

The popular hiker motel in Pearisburg burnt down a year or two ago. There is another though and a church hostel, but the hostel is way the other side of town (but near the Walmart). Woods Hole is nice, but you can't really resupply there, so you'll be going into Pearisburg anyway. Although the food lion is only 0.8 miles off the trail, so it would be possible to hit the store and keep going.

Troutville has several chain motels to choose from, the Howard Johnsons is almost on the trail. There is a major highway intersection there with shopping malls and fast food.

I've only gone to Bland to get a burger and some snacks at the gas station and always passed Catawba when the home place was closed, so no reason to stop there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    That would be about 21 or 22 miles away from Glasgow. There are two motels in Buena Vista and even more, better ones in lexington.
    Thanks DH... I didn't know where it was. I know you picked up hikers at Rt. 60 so I thought it would be close. It says it's between Hog Camp Gap and Rt. 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I stayed there like 10 years ago (the pink tile shower was classic), but I heard they had closed down a year or two later. Which is why I ended up at a motel in Buena Vista the last time I was through there, maybe 5 years ago.

The popular hiker motel in Pearisburg burnt down a year or two ago. There is another though and a church hostel, but the hostel is way the other side of town (but near the Walmart). Woods Hole is nice, but you can't really resupply there, so you'll be going into Pearisburg anyway. Although the food lion is only 0.8 miles off the trail, so it would be possible to hit the store and keep going.

Troutville has several chain motels to choose from, the Howard Johnsons is almost on the trail. There is a major highway intersection there with shopping malls and fast food.

I've only gone to Bland to get a burger and some snacks at the gas station and always passed Catawba when the home place was closed, so no reason to stop there.
    That would be Daleville not Troutville Slo. (a difference of about 2 miles) I would stay at the Super 8 in Daleville. I was going to mention that in the PM.

The Mexican place and the newly remodeled Pizza Hut is right on the trail, nearly, in Daleville. AWESOME!

Woodsman, you cannot receive anymore PMs. You need to delete some stuff.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

That would be Daleville not Troutville Slo. (a difference of about 2 miles) I would stay at the Super 8 in Daleville. I was going to mention that in the PM.
    Is it bad that after living in this area for 23 years I still can't keep track of Cloverdale/Daleville/Troutville? Too many small towns in very close proximity.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Is it bad that after living in this area for 23 years I still can't keep track of Cloverdale/Daleville/Troutville? Too many small towns in very close proximity.

I agree CalebJ! I hope Slo didn't take that the wrong way. I get confuzzled myself.

++ New Posts ++