WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I was thinking of getting a food dehydrator?

I was on Amazon today and I was looking at food dehydrators. I found this model as a best seller, Nesco Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator. Is this worth buying?

I've been happy with mine so far. I have found it worth the cost and effort to have more vegetables and lean meats and less junk food when backpacking. I recommend buying a few extra trays so you can make bigger and thus fewer batches.

I am trying to rethink what I eat while I am out on the trail.

I have an excalibur, but started out with a dehydrator that had less then that model, if this is what it is {FD-75} (2-minute video review) http://www.dehydratorreview.net/vide...-minute-review

Which is perfect for beginners, that way you don't waste too much money if you decide dehydrating is not for you.

BTW, I would also recommend getting the extra trays, but then again I like dehydrating.

I have the Nesco Professional. Works well at making jerky and dehydrated veggies. My suggestion is extra trays but also the screen inserts if you are doing smaller things like veggies. I just did a batch of veggies and only had two screens. As they shrunk some of the carrots and beans started to fall through the trays.

If you are going to get into food dehydrating on a regular basis, (such as preserving excess production from the garden or orchard) then get the best unit you can afford. If you are just going to use it occasionally, then get a cheaper model. You can save some $$$ by looking around. I got two units at yard sales for a total of $12. People get tired of the work involved in drying food and get rid of dehydrators all the time.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

This may sound strange but Kitchenaid makes a really nice wall or under-counter oven with a dehydrator setting called the Superba. Stand-alone dehydrators are bulky. I needed a replacement oven for my condo and picked one up on Craigs list for $125.00. If you are a bread baker you can also proof bread dough in it and has convection as well.

I've had that Nesco for a couple of years and its really been great. While you're at it, consider buying a couple of packs of the expansion trays because you'll be surprised at how quickly the trays fill up. I've run my Nesco with 9 trays with no problems. When I was shopping, I was also considering an Excalibur. No doubt its a great machine but at that price point I figured it was easier and cheaper just to go and buy dehydrated items, so I gave the Nesco a shot and haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    If you are going to get into food dehydrating on a regular basis, (such as preserving excess production from the garden or orchard) then get the best unit you can afford. If you are just going to use it occasionally, then get a cheaper model. You can save some $$$ by looking around. I got two units at yard sales for a total of $12. People get tired of the work involved in drying food and get rid of dehydrators all the time.
    Agree. Like everything else, if you use something frequently and depend on it for efficient home drying (and to prepare backpacking meals), you will want to get something which is big enough and stout enough to help make drying easy and fun. I used to use those white plastic Nesco models and they actually discouraged me from in depth drying and food prep for backpacking trips. I ended up giving them away to interested friends.

Check out the TSM 5 tray dryer with the added silicone sheets for doing soups, etc. Sure it's expensive but well worth the price if you go out alot.

I've had an Excalibur 5-tray model for several years, and I'm very pleased with it. I routinely buy apples, bananas, and pineapple when they are on sale and put up batches, either for trail use or for home snacks. It's also handy for preserving garden produce. If you get one like this, you may have to purchase Teflon sheets separately. Use these when you are dehydrating whole meals, soups, barks, fruit roll-ups or other semi-liquid items.

I have a cheap hand me down "Home trends" and have been happy with it until now. Just finished dehydrating some chili and the fan broke. Hence, I'm in the market for a new one too. I enjoy dehydrating my own meals and have had a lot of fun with it. You can really get creative. Mine was good, it got me going and into it but I think I'll upgrade now. Remember, you get what you paid for.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

I thought I would weigh in on this. I have used both the Nesco FD75 and an Excalibur (the 9-tray model). As an author I dehydrate more than the average person and both units have stood up to my abuses. I like the Nesco because of the fruit roll trays with the lip but the timer on the Excalibur is awesome. I also like that I can change the tray height on the Excalibur and use the unit to dry larger items like whole peppers. If you will use it a lot I'd highly recommend Excalibur just because of the convenience of the timer. Happy dehydrating!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I've had the Nesco model that the OP mentioned for several years, and it works just fine. If you need a timer, you can get a get a plug-in timer for like $5 (the kind that you might use to set your lamp to go on and off at certain times of day).

I have a LEM 5-tray. I use it for jerky, dehydrated apples, etc. the controls are clumsy, but it's good for the occasional user like me.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    I thought I would weigh in on this. I have used both the Nesco FD75 and an Excalibur (the 9-tray model). As an author I dehydrate more than the average person and both units have stood up to my abuses. I like the Nesco because of the fruit roll trays with the lip but the timer on the Excalibur is awesome. I also like that I can change the tray height on the Excalibur and use the unit to dry larger items like whole peppers. If you will use it a lot I'd highly recommend Excalibur just because of the convenience of the timer. Happy dehydrating!
    Hi LaurieAnn!

Did you get your hubby to replace the dehydrator thermal fuse that you posted about on that other forum a few years back?

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

i use the nesco, it's a work-horse. i dehydrate meals for my AT section hikes as well other weekend backpacks and canoe camping trips. one of my well-worn cookbooks is "A Fork in the Trail" by Laurie Ann March...think she has anotrher

ch

sorry about the above reply, hit the send too soon.

I think Laurie Ann March has a 2nd cookbook out now. her recipes and tips for dehydrating are wonderful, esp. for beginners. i eat very well out in the woods now.

.com

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    I have a LEM 5-tray. I use it for jerky, dehydrated apples, etc. the controls are clumsy, but it's good for the occasional user like me.
    Just upgraded to this from an old Harvest Maid (round Nesco style). It is so much better and appears to be the same as the Excaliber 5 tray with timer but the trays look a bit different. jerky, dried fruit and fruit leather have all turned out great.

The Excalibur is amazing. I have gone through 3 dehydrators and the features I like best about the Excalibur:

1. The thermostat (although I understand some of the round ones have a thermostat now)
    2. The fan is at the back of the unit instead of the bottom, so you don't have to rotate trays to get an even dry time
    3. The flexibility of the height of the trays
    4. The square trays are great for cutting fruit leathers and dried sauces with my pizza cutter
    Demeter's Blog

Demeter's Video Channel

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dehydrate your apples and apples skins with this quick and easy way to peel your apples. Love it!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++