WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarps similar to gossamer gear spinnshelter

Any one know of any tarps similar to the spinnshelter, in terms of its shape and size? I would really be interested in buying a spinnshelter, but they are hard to come by anymore. I'm not interested in anything cuben because of its costs.

Thanks!

Spin Twinn(NICELY sized 1+ person cat cut tarp) or Spinn Shelter? They are different. Yeah, Gossamer Gear's Spinn Twinn is a great size! GG got the marketing right IMHO too when they stated, "The CubicTwinn™ provides plenty of room for two, and offers an amazing amount of space for the solo hiker at NO REAL WEIGHT PENALTY! Imagine carrying a two person shelter that only weighs 7oz and having all that room to yourself? Utilize the Q-Twinn™ as your normal 3 season shelter or bring it along in your day pack as an emergency shelter that won't take up much space or weigh you down."

The old Spinn Twinn that was constructed out of spinnaker fabric is now constructed out of cuben. You'll have to search down the various wts of those fabrics though. That's the way the UL market is going - towards the latest greatest wee bit lighter materials. I think the old spinnaker fabric Spinn Twin was two ozs heavier than the current cuben Spinntwinn(relabeled Cubictwinn. You can have a custom sized cat cut tarp with the Spinntwinn dimensions constructed out of sil nylon for about $100 less than the current cuben version of the Spinntwinn(CubicTwinn). Several companies will do it for ya including the Chief Happiness Officer over at Mountain Laurel Designs - Ron Bell and Dave Olsen at Oware. Those guys are great to work with. Contact GG as well. Glen might have a spinnaker Spinn Twinn around.The spinnaker version was about $100 less!

I meant the spinn shelter, the one picture here. Thanks for the info!
    1261801743_19122.jpg

That's just something akin to the SpinnTwinn(CubicTwinn) but probably a bit shorter length(not 100% though from the pic) that has split beaks. Look around. Several UL tarp makers have something similar - a tarp with beaks constructed of silny. I'm sure you could get that in silny for about $140-150.

What about the MLD Patrol in sillynylon?

++ New Posts ++