WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ihavea4 View Post
    i just ordered a Dream Hammock Thunderbird the other day to go along with my Warbonnet Superfly tarp. if i were to go with a tent, i was seriously considering the Lightheart Solo. still might get it for something like the PCT or trails where a hammock would be very difficult to set up. We'll see about that when the time comes though.
    I should have my 11' Thunderbrid by the end of the week! I've got a Speer Winter and an Oware 10' square tarp. Might need to go longer once I get the longer hammock under there, but we'll see.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a MSR carbon reflex 2, Clark jungle hammock /tarp,and a TT StratoSpire 1.
    i love my MSR tent ,I have plenty of room for my pad/bag, and my pack. I hang my food.

Images

The Nemo GOGO LE bivy/tent is replacing my hammock as I find I like being in the shelters and not sleeping the AM away. I have saved a few pounds by eliminating the tarp along with its' lines and stakes and suspension also my hammock plus its' suspension parts was a bit heavy, and bonus, no more need for the under quilt so yippee for me. I have a 11oz mattress NeoAir and 18oz 45*quilt. And with less bulk I moved to a smaller and lighter pack also.

Images

Bought the REI Passage 2 tent last year at a very affordable $159, and for the price its loaded with features and is super easy to set up in minutes. I can't see myself spending $400 to save 2-3lbs unless I'm doing hundreds or thousands of miles, and with my schedule I'm section hiking a few days at a time. Double doors and vestibules and lots of places to hang lantern, wet rain gear, etc. We took it car camping to field test it and get familiar with it in real conditions. Some nasty weather rolled in about an hour into our overnight at the campsite and the torrential rain did not relent until morning. Used the footprint and despite the small stream that formed under our tent, this thing stayed about 99.9% dry throughout the night. Only a drip or two came in and that's only because we had the vent windows open and the wind was pretty strong. We were really impressed. Definitely cozy for two and gear but as I was with my wife, that was all good and we had room for full size inflatable pads. Its close to 5lbs with the full tent/stakes/fly and poles, but the two of us can split the weight on the trail.We will be testing that this weekend as we do our first backpacking overnight since we were teens, on the AT in CT. Starting with the river walk to get accustomed to the packs and weight for the first miles and hope when the steeps come that we're good and used to it by then! Looking forward to testing it on the trail, with packs in the vestibules.

I have purchased the YAMA MOUNTAIN GEAR Cirriform SW-1Person for my 2015 P.C.T thru I have set it up a couple of times seems like a good tent but kinda expensive at $420.00 plus SH, but i have been using the Marmot EOS 1-person this is a great tent.

Quote Originally Posted by ctebeau View Post
    Warbonnet Blackbird with strap and buckle suspension, Superfly tarp, Hammockgear 20 deg. incubator and 20 deg. burrow for insulation. Hoping to not have to spend money on summer quilts, but we'll see when the temps rise.
    Just curious why you and others are going with the Incubator and Burrow vs. the BB Yeti and Mamba? I do know the Mamba is $36 more but slightly lighter and the Yeti is 3/4 but has a specific baffle venting system. Like everything, it ends up being personal choice but I would love to hear thoughts to aid my research and choice specific to these specific uq and tq.

the reason i went with the incubator/burrow is because i really wanted a full length UQ. I tend to sleep quite cold and figured insulation isn't an area i should skimp on. I've also heard plenty of raving reviews for hammockgear's quilts so i figured it would be a safe bet to go with. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet as i'm still waiting for them to be shipped in, but im defiantly looking forward to testing them
    "Its a long hard walk, but I will walk hard"
    -Dewey Cox

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

gbolt, just to even things up a bit I use a WB Yeti and Burrow. I have a full length UQ but find I do not need it. Never been cold with the Yeti down to 2 degrees. You can't go wrong with either WB stuff or HG stuff.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

I am using a Warbonnet Blackbird with a Yeti 3 season UQ and a Black Mamba TQ Covered by a Hammock Hear Standard Cuben Fiber Tarp.
    Blackheart

Mountain hardware tent when cold. A little heavy, free standing, no moister problems and lots of room. Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip for when it is hot. Much cooler then a tent, has bug netting attched. Have not used the hammock a lot yet but I am really liking it. Very comfortable, very fast setup and take down though I miss having my backpack inside with me.

I finally committed to a Big Agnes fly creek UL2. In comparison to other styles the weight and other overall specs got my attention. coming in at a weight of 2 lb. 5 oz I only paid $311 for it on Eastern Mountain Sports.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    I have a MSR carbon reflex 2, Clark jungle hammock /tarp,and a TT StratoSpire 1.
    i love my MSR tent ,I have plenty of room for my pad/bag, and my pack. I hang my food.
    How do you like your StratoSpire? I was thinking of the TT SS 2 for me & my hubby.

I'll be tenting with the Lightheart Solong 6 on my AT thru-hike. Throw in the XTherm Neoair pad, and I'm still researching a good bag to get me through the cold March in the Smokies.
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

Grand Trunk Single
    DIY bugnet
    Warbonett Superfly tarp

DIY hammock (gathered ends) tree strap and homemade whoopi style lines.
    DIY underquilt 3/4 length
    I need a new tarp and I am actively shopping????
    There are wonders out there, now to find them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    The Nemo GOGO LE bivy/tent is replacing my hammock as I find I like being in the shelters and not sleeping the AM away. I have saved a few pounds by eliminating the tarp along with its' lines and stakes and suspension also my hammock plus its' suspension parts was a bit heavy, and bonus, no more need for the under quilt so yippee for me. I have a 11oz mattress NeoAir and 18oz 45*quilt. And with less bulk I moved to a smaller and lighter pack also.
    CHANGE UP!!!!!!!

Well after a few nights of the nemo I liked the weight saving so much that I want to go even lighter so........ I got a Six Moons Design Lunar Solo and I hope this is it. With the stuff sack (silnylon), footprint (tyvek) and stakes (Ti) it comes in at less than TWO pounds and is roomy. I can sit upright, change, have room for all my gear inside and a nice vestibule to boot.

ZPacks Hexamid Solplex. I really like the idea of cuben fiber not sagging when wet, which was my biggest complaint about my TT Notch.

Currently waiting on a Mountain Laurel Designs Solomid XL. This will be the third shelter I've bought with an eye to thru-hiking and hopefully the last. I've used a Sierra Designs Flashlight 1 for a bit, liked the tent but not crazy about the weight and pack space occupied. Then I tried out an 8x10 sil tarp and learned I don't mind the lack of a floor one bit but wanted a little more protection against drifting snow. Led me to looking at pyramid tarps, and the video of Andrew Skurka using a Solomid through 4,700 miles of Alaska wilderness definitely clinched it.

Eureka Spitfire here.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++