WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Looking for tips, pointers and/or advice

Over this lovely winter we've had here in Western Pennsylvania I have spent a ton of time searching the internet and reading forums trying to lighten my 50-ish pound base weight. I have come a significant way in reducing weight and am now down to 9.1 pounds. I'd say that an 82% reduction in weight isn't too shabby. Basically I'm just looking for input from others with a bit more experience.

10015054_10152237460409197_1609158349_n.jpg1800364_10152237460354197_823986033_n.jpg1660344_10152237460419197_1671609751_n.jpg1150158_10152237460329197_1591084804_n.jpg10004013_10152237460434197_1676024512_n.jpg1798435_10152237460344197_1044266749_n.jpg1897685_10152237460379197_168627330_n.jpg
    Last edited by Mick3y; 03-11-2014 at 23:39.

Not much use for compass or sunglasses on AT. Handiwipes work good for towel, you can even cut 'em in half. Throw 'em away when they get really nasty and can also serve as emergency TP.

Default Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick3y View Post
    Over this lovely winter we've had here in Western Pennsylvania I have spent a ton of time searching the internet and reading forums trying to lighten my 50-ish pound base weight. I have come a significant way in reducing weight and am now down to 9.1 pounds. I'd say that an 82% reduction in weight isn't too shabby. Basically I'm just looking for input from others with a bit more experience.
    People might nitpick over a few minor things but I'm impressed you dropped the weight of your big 3 (shelter, pack, and sleep system) to 1.8 kg. The Scandinavians consider < 3 kg quite respectable.

I'd like to see if your MYOG pack does its job. And I'm curious as to whether an inexpensive 770 g bag would really go to freezing temps (although I'm not sure if that's critical in your locale). If it does, you've got a real bargain.

You've listed your toothpaste twice. There's 28 grams right there!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Not much use for compass or sunglasses on AT.
    The compass is just in case. I figure for half an ounce it's better safe than sorry. It's built into a keychain with the thermometer and magnifying glass as well.

As for the sunglasses, the Army conditioned me to wear them all the time. The sun never sets on a bada**..
    I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    You've listed your toothpaste twice. There's 28 grams right there!
    Fixed. That post saved me a full ounce. lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GBarron View Post
    I'm curious as to whether an inexpensive 770 g bag would really go to freezing temps
    I had the same thoughts. It isn't tested yet, although with the weather moving in sometime in the next couple days I may go out and test it. My thought is that if it comfortable I plan to add down from a thrift store jacket for <$10

What collapsible 1L water container is 30g ?

Helium-filled duck tape?

15g "bear bag kit"? 50ft of spectra cordage weights 36g. Does said kit not include any line? Are you using fishing line or something?

Why carry a useless "cheap pack cover" and a "drysack" when you could just carry a heavy-duty trash bag as a liner?
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Images

Collapsible water bottle is from Wal-mart. Weighs 5g less than a Platypus if I'm not mistaken.

Duck tape is on my trekking poles as the list shows. If I were to guess I'd say 2-4oz of tape. That weight is reflected in the weight of the poles.

Good catch. I haven't gotten to finishing the list 100%. I just got my spectra cord in and have to measure and add it. That will total out to 51g.

The pack cover is a leftover from a previous kit. Still "needed" until I seal the seams of my MYOG pack. The dry sacks keep my stuff organized and dry. They are all different colors so I know what is in them without being forced to open them. I'd rather have 2 layers of waterproofing than wet clothes, sleeping bag or anything else. 3oz for dry stuff isn't too bad of an idea if you ask me.

Images

The bear bag kit totals out to 40g with 50ft of 1.75 spectra.

Images

Oh, and before it's asked.. My socks aren't helium filled either, they are 52g for a pair and just arrived today as well.

Looks like you are doing fine- only caution is the large amount of untested gear.
    No complaints from me on your creativity- just a general caution I follow when I do the same-
    Get yo badass to the backyard and test it out and try to put at least 100 miles worth of training hikes in with all your gear. When I first started MYOG stuff I had some sweet looking stuff but a few rookie mistakes that didn't show up until I got a few miles in. No biggie in the privacy of my tune-up trips- but would have been a serious pant's down embarrassment on the trail and no sewing machine at the shelter to correct it.

Simple example- Made my bear bag rock sack out of M50 scraps, then out of 1.1 oz scraps, then finally gave up and sewed it out of 2 oz Sil-nylon. They were virtually no difference in weight. I also learned the hard way that 1.1 oz sil isn't a good pack or food bag choice for much more than a few weeks of use.

Images

I completely agree on the untested gear aspect. I haven't had any time during the winter to really get out and use it all. I do however have plans to start hitting trails around the house when the weather warms up.

The bear bag rock sack I have is a mesh sack which should be easy to repair if it rips. I also have a spare for my pot if really needed.

The pack on the other hand, I hope it holds up but wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. It's 1.3 sil, which is coated 1.1 ripstop. I wasn't paying attention when I ordered my material for the hammock so I got sil instead of normal ripstop. I figured, what the heck, might as well make a pack with it. It turned out pretty well. If it doesn't last I'll make another with the same pattern. 2.3 sill will bump it up to 11.6 oz for the pack and $8. Or I could go all crazy and use 1.4 cuben fiber to make it 7.1 oz for $35.
    Last edited by Mick3y; 03-12-2014 at 23:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick3y View Post
    The compass is just in case. I figure for half an ounce it's better safe than sorry. It's built into a keychain with the thermometer and magnifying glass as well.

As for the sunglasses, the Army conditioned me to wear them all the time. The sun never sets on a bada**..
    Hahaha the sun never sets on a badass. Best reason ever for sunglasses.

Images

It's hard to be hard..

Images

Anyone else have any further (helpful) input?

If you're looking to shave ounces you could try:

Use a rubber band instead of a wallet.

Become confident starting a fire in varying conditions so that you can use natural tinder instead of carrying it.

Mix 100% DEET 50/50 by volume with water in a 1oz dropper. 1oz will last you a month or more of consistent application.

Replace hand sanitizer and toothpaste with doctor bronners Castile soap.

Try freezer bag cooking.

I'm sure not all of these suggestions will appeal to you. Looks like a good list, significant change in weight. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc Fiedler View Post
    Mix 100% DEET 50/50 by volume with water in a 1oz dropper. 1oz will last you a month or more of consistent application.
    What's this about?

Cutting deet with water? Is it just as efficient?

Edit: Hi there KC. Look! I have tons of posts now. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2015 View Post
    What's this about?

Cutting deet with water? Is it just as efficient?

Edit: Hi there KC. Look! I have tons of posts now. ^_^
    Yeah I've been mulling that one over for a while. It would probably be just as effective or more so to not bother with the water. I find that it applies better when mixed.

Look at all those posts you have. Amazing!

Images

The wallet weight is as loaded now. I would probably only bring my debit card and some cash, no need for the other junk on the trail.

I'm pretty good with starting a fire, but I think the 4g for 8 waterproof tinder bundles is alright.

I've heard about Dr Bronners but haven't found a source locally yet.

Wouldn't 1oz Deet and .5oz Deet/.5oz Water weigh the same?

How does freezer bag cooking save weight? Wouldn't I still need the pan/stove to heat the water to add to the freezer bag?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++